SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2010, 17:20   #1
CDR_Glock

How many magazines do you recommend?

Mas

As a civilian, non-LEO, carrying a Glock 23 or 27, do you recommend carrying one or two mags to aid for FTE/FTF/Stovepiping? This hasn't happened for practice but I would feel better with some "insurance".

How do you recommend carrying spares? Pocket? holster? Cell phone case? Mex Carry?

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 17:47   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I personally make it a point to carry at least one spare mag, often two. At least one for malfunction clearance as you mentioned, and also because sometimes, even when the gun is working perfectly, we are shooting less than perfectly or the situation otherwise demands more than what is in the gun to start.

Location? It's personal based on factors of comfort, habituation, and dress code. I've never been comfortable carrying spare mags in the pocket, except in the "cell phone/magazine pockets" of some tactical pants. Usually I'll have the mag(s) in a pouch on the opposite hip from the gun, outside or inside the waistband depending on the degree of concealment needed.

YMMV.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 19:00   #3
CDR_Glock

Thank you for your response.

In your opinion how many magazines should a civilian own for each semiauto? 4 is what I strive for but if you recommend more that's fine, too.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:00   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

There's a lot of debate as to that. Typical police load-out is one in the gun and two more on the belt. Guys who've taken metallurgy classes say a fully loaded magazine's spring should never take a set, but armorers who have to replace springs that have gone bad say otherwise. Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I go with the latter "just in case," and suggest a minimum of six magazines per carry gun. Three are kept filled, the rest are empty and "resting."

Swapout every six months or so. Consider putting a little spot of white paint ("Winter") on the floorplates of half the magazines, and yellow paint ("Summer") on the other half. When you "spring forward, fall back" with time changes, attend to batteries in smoke alarms and flashlights, and also swap out the magazines, letting the loaded ones take a rest and filling up the ones that have been "resting."

Whether or not it proves actually necessary with your particular magazines, it seems to give peace of mind if nothing else.

Sporting use may also dictate magazine count. You probably want at least four magazines to shoot a GSSF or PPC match, more for USPSA.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:03   #5
CDR_Glock

Thank you, Sir, for that response. This covers things that I did not consider.

My YouTube Channel: