GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44   #1
upnorthbacon

Those who have shot animals with your 357sig?

Curious what the outcome was? I've always wanted to take a whitetail with my pistol. I realize it would have to be bow range, likely 15yds broadside lung shot. I'm also curious if anyone has chronographed a 5" or 6" barrel compared to the standard 31's barrel? I'd likely buy some buffalo bore or maybe even work up some handloads of some sort. I'd really like to keep the 31 since I already have 5 full cap mags and I'm the original owner. I don't plan on hunting as much as self defense, but I'm trying to decide if I should just off it and buy a 20?

Last edited by upnorthbacon; 10-01-2010 at 07:02..
upnorthbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13   #2
RB98SS

I think the 10mm would be by far a better choice for deer sized game. I would never shoot an animal that size with a 357sig. IMHO FWIW.

Last edited by RB98SS; 10-07-2010 at 11:14..
RB98SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 23:28   #3
P.K.

I think a 357 mag is more ideal for hunting. The reason is mainly due to bullet weight, you want to use a heavier bullet for more penetration/damage. The .357 sig was designed to take out two legged animals. It's not to say you couldn't kill a deer with the 357 sig but the lighter bullet may not cause the damage needed to get it to bed down at a closer distance. If you shoot it with a 357 sig it could go quite a ways before it beds down and you wouldn't be able to find it.
P.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 23:58   #4
Ak.Hiker

Back in the day Colt advertised the 38 Super as a field load. The 357 Sig. should be just as good or better. I would think that a good bullet like the 125 grain Gold Dot loaded to full power would do the trick on a deer. So would a 147 grain Gold Dot as loaded by Double Tap. I think that shot placement would be more of an issue with the Glock as a hunting gun than the ability of the caliber to put down game.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:01   #5
LarryNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
Back in the day Colt advertised the 38 Super as a field load. The 357 Sig. should be just as good or better. I would think that a good bullet like the 125 grain Gold Dot loaded to full power would do the trick on a deer. So would a 147 grain Gold Dot as loaded by Double Tap. I think that shot placement would be more of an issue with the Glock as a hunting gun than the ability of the caliber to put down game.
Agreed. I have always found it amusing how many folks feel that you really need something like the 7mm magnum to hunt deer. On the Hi Powers and Handguns website there are several stories of the author and website owner cleanly and humanely taking deer with a 9mm. This is nothing new at all. If the .357 SIG really does duplicate the .357 Magnum, then it should be plenty for deer. Know the limits of your handgunning skills and practice proper shot placement and I see no problem in it whatsoever. Unless of course, it is against the law in your jurisdiction.
Old 10-17-2010, 20:20   #6
TreeTrooper
Shhhhh...

I have shot a few deer with my issue G-31 while on the job. Some were put down due to injury, and a couple were suspected of being infected with CWD. The longest shot was about 40 yards. All but one dropped at the shot. One of the CWD-suspect deer took three rounds at 10 yards, walked away, and fell over a hill into a creek. Our issue ammo is the Speer Gold Dot 125. It will do the job, but there are (always) better alternatives.
Big Dawg #1175
Niner's Club #116
Pennsylvania Glocker #80
Top Gun 357 SIG #116
Sub Club #116
TreeTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 13:45   #7
K.O.A.M.

We use .357 Sig to put down deer that get hit by cars on a regular basis. It's our duty round. No complaints of it not doing the job, but we're also pretty close when we do it.
K.O.A.M. is offline   Reply With Quote