Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:39   #1
MOOTS
SPECIAL

A variety of questions from a new guy...

Potential new guy that is!

Hey Everyone,

My wife recently got her concealed carry permit in CT and would like to take over carrying my Kel-Tec PF9 since she handles and shoots it very well. In doing so I'll need to find a new carry gun aside from my G19.

The G33 has made it to the top of the list. However I do have some questions I would need answered before moving forward with the purchase.

Would you all be able to help?

Here we go:

#1 - Does the stock Glock barrel in the G33 have a fully supported chamber? I would like to shoot reloads (FMJ or Plated) in the G33 to practice with it...however I would hope that I do not need to purchase a KKM barrel in order to do this.

#2 - Do you shoot reloads out of your stock Glock barrel or do you use an aftermarket barrel?

#3 - In regards to reloading the 357 Sig round I'm planning on getting a Redding 3 Die set. Do any of you use the seating/crimping function in one station or do you use a separate taper crimp die in another station?

#4 - Since this is a short barreled gun would I be well suited by looking into using Accurate #7 powder? I'm looking for good case fill volume but think some of the slower powders may be a waste in a short barrel. Any powder recommendations for a 125gn Montana Gold bullet in Starline brass?

#5 - Final one for now...I swear. Georgia Arms Canned Heat ammo seems to be pretty cheap...is it viable for practice until I get the reloading situation squared away?

THANKS!

MOOTS

Niner #8198

"We ought not look behind ourselves with regret, nor look ahead of ourselves with fear; we must look around ourselves with awareness."
MOOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:45   #2
RedHaze
Handgunner

Good questions! I'm no expert, but I'll give 'er a shot.

#1 Nothing you're going to buy will have a fully supported chamber. That said, Glock took full advantage of the bottleneck cartridge and the chambers are more supported than any of the other calibers chambers. If anything, if you've got another barrel already in the budget... I'd buy a stock G32 barrel for some added velocity.

#2 I use the stock barrel. Only reason I would see the need for an after market barrel would be for shooting lead. As long as you're sticking with jacketed/plated bullets the stock barrel is more than fine.

#3 I've never had experience with Redding, I've heard nothing but good things about Redding though. I'm using Hornady's CGND Ti Nitride dies and the Lee Factory Crimp die. This set up works great for me.

#4 This is one I'm leaving to more experianced. Check out Pete's page for a bunch of good reloading info. HERE.
Any other questions you have for reloading I would pose in the reloading subforum here on gt. The guys in there know about just about everything under the sun, and if they don't they know right where to point you.

#5 Can't speak on this either. I got set up to reload the 357 sig the same time I got the handgun. All my practice ammo is reloads.
Old 11-30-2010, 19:34   #3
leeward419

Send a message via ICQ to leeward419
I am relatively new to the sig, been reloading and shooting it for almost a year now. For what its worth-

1/2- No problem with stock barrel, shoot reloads in my G32C with stock barrel, Do have a KKM for my G27 converted to 357 SIG. Fired cases are ok to reuse in reloading, I beleive the 40 cal glocks have the issue of unsupported cases being an issue. Havent had any problems with stock barrel and reloading brass fired from the stock barrel.

3- I use the dillon carbide die set, uses a separate taper crimp die,pretty typical for progressive press. Lots of people use the lee factory crimp die, use the right bullets (those designed for 357 sig) and you will be ok using taper crimp die. Correct die adjustment is very important in order to avoid bullet setback issues. WHen setting the die I check the neck tension with bathroom floor scale as indicated in "Petes Page" mentioned above. I second Haze's advice. Look up the page, great info there. I have no experience with crimping seating this caliber in same station. I have used redding dies in other calibers and really like them, just never used their 3 die set for the 357 SIG.

4. I have been using Alliant Blue dot with Montana Gold 125 FMJ Sig bullets. Not married to it, but has good volume, no issues with full burning, very clean, some dont like the flash with compensated barrels, I dont really notice it, you can get good FPS from it, and meters well, my ammo has been very accurate. I have no experience with the AA7.

5. Have no experience with Georgia Arms ammo.

I think you will find that the sig is very interesting cartridge, has great performance and is worth the little bit of extra effort learning about it. Once you get set up it is a snap to reload. Absolutely love the cartridge. I think you will like the MG 125,s. CK out the older posts on the site, their 124 hps work well too.

Last edited by leeward419; 11-30-2010 at 19:51..
leeward419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:42   #4
NitLion

I don't reload so I will skip right to

5.) I have had very good performance with the canned heat although it has been several years since I have ordered any...
TOP GUNS 357SIG Club #5
Pa. Glockers #65
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:25   #5
dglockster

Hi Moots,

One of the more knowledgeable GlockTalk members in regard to the 357SIG goes by "G33."

Look her up in the members list and send her a PM. She is very helpful.

Lone Star Glockers #3236, Top Guns 357Sig Club #3226, Niner #2632, .40 S&W Club #2332, Kalashnikov Klub 11147, Wheelhouse #2357
dglockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 21:03   #6
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
Some Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitLion View Post
I don't reload so I will skip right to

5.) I have had very good performance with the canned heat although it has been several years since I have ordered any...
Same here, don't reload...yet!

5) Have shot about 175 rds of Canned Heat from what a friend gave me. I had no issues with any of them. I intend to order some after the first of the year from them, if in stock.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:50   #7
k2ue

The problem with Glock 357SIG chambers is not so much that they are unsupported, but that they are loose. I happily shot a pair of G32s, for years, but did not reload then. When I switched to the M&P and began reloading I discovered that that some glock once-fired cases, even when full-length resized, were so expanded at the base (below where normal resizing stops) they would not chamber in the M&Ps. I eventually got a push-thru 40S&W sizing die, which reclaims those cases for reloading.

But I would not like to see my cases repetitively streched like that at the base, and I conclude that if I were to use glocks again and intended to reload, I would use an aftermarket barrel with a tighter chamber.

Curiously, a Storm Lake barrel I bought for an M&P had a chamber so tight it would not seat half the M&P cases that wallow in a glock, and indeed was so tight a 357SIG chambering reamer would not go in without removing metal at the base. So Storm Lake would not be my aftermarket barrel choice.

All that said, my G32s gave me great service, and for factory ammo I would not hesitate to recommend the G31/32/33.

Last edited by k2ue; 12-09-2010 at 18:59..
k2ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 18:44   #8
deeHKman
"It Is Written"

I carry a G32 EDC it is a great shooter. Plus i can carry all day and not have any comfort problems at all. i as of now do not reload but may reload some 10mm' for my G20sf.
Everyone had a great post for the OP, thanks

deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote