Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2010, 16:06   #1
DannyR

Dry Firing Glocks, The Official Word

I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to dry firing Glocks. I've always dry fired 100 times the night before and the morning of a match. My assumption was that if you have to dry fire a Glock to field strip it, then it must be OK to dry fire it, period. Well, I've been wrong (again). The official word from Glock is:

"If you’re going to dry fire onther than for disassembly, use a snap cap."

That is a fact and not an invitation for argument. Just accept it for what it's worth.

I've just ordered A-Zooms in 9mm and .45GAP from MidwayUSA.
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan
Old 09-29-2010, 16:16   #2
doneroman
SheepDogs-R-Us

Hmm interesting.

What're you gonna do with the 45 gap one?
Old 09-29-2010, 16:19   #3
DannyR

My competition Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP.

My carry Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP:

All my Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
Old 09-29-2010, 16:20   #4
COM165

Wow, I can't even tell you how many times that I have dry fired all of my Glocks. What damage can it do?
Old 09-29-2010, 16:22   #5
DannyR

I don't know. My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
Old 09-29-2010, 21:43   #6
Blunt object

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I don't know. My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
Actually, this is the kind of information from a seasoned Glock guy that reinforces my belief that dry firing does not harm Glocks.
It mirrors my experience, corporate pronouncements notwithstanding.
Old 09-30-2010, 21:29   #7
SIGlock

Quote:
My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
All right. This is the real "data" that we need to know. Countless thousands of dry fires. That does not include the 75,000 fired rounds which actually has some material damaging effects to the breech face (due to impact fatigue during the casing pushing backward on the breech face).

As a material engineer.... I think it is O.K. to dry fire.....moderately....say a few hundred times a year. That's more that most people want to dry fire anyway.

So, why Glock advices to use snap-cap? "BE SAFE THAN SORRY" motto. I would advice the same thing....if I was working for Glock.
Old 09-30-2010, 21:38   #8
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGlock View Post
All right. This is the real "data" that we need to know. Countless thousands of dry fires. That does not include the 75,000 fired rounds which actually has some material damaging effects to the breech face (due to impact fatigue during the casing pushing backward on the breech face).

As a material engineer.... I think it is O.K. to dry fire.....moderately....say a few hundred times a year. That's more that most people want to dry fire anyway.

So, why Glock advices to use snap-cap? "BE SAFE THAN SORRY" motto. I would advice the same thing....if I was working for Glock.
But the majority of the breach face is contacted by the entire face of the casing, and as a whole it isn't as thin as it is immediately surrounding the firing pin hole. I believe the advice came about in order to prevent the weaker circle around the firing pin hole from becoming cracked and protruding, or because they have switched to MIM for the firing pin. We have seen pictures of the firing pin hole protruding in the past.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47   #9
in_this_city
Glocktoberfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGlock View Post
I think it is O.K. to dry fire.....moderately....say a few hundred times a year. That's more that most people want to dry fire anyway.
A few hundred a year is fine, but for me, I dry fire a few hundred times a week. I always use a snap cap cause Id rather be safe than sorry.

and thank you DannyR for your informative posts. They are much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2010, 15:56   #10
Sonnytoo

Quote:

My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
I suspect this answers my question.
sonnytoo
Old 09-29-2010, 16:26   #11
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COM165 View Post
What damage can it do?
Cracks in breech face and/or FP.
Old 09-29-2010, 16:22   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

tagged.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 09-29-2010, 16:31   #13
COM165

I have a few snap caps for my .40 that have a small recess where the pin will strike. But for my 9mm I have a bag of SAF-T-TRAINERS that are flat in the back (no recess for pin to strike). They are blaze orange and made by a co. called Precision Gun Specialties Inc. I had used them for malfunction drills. Are these considered "snap caps" and is it safe to use them in my 19?
Old 09-29-2010, 16:26   #14
fullotto69

Now did that come from GLOCK, or did it come from some random Glock armorer? Because "Josh " in customer service at GLOCK in Smyrna said to dry fire as much as you want and if you feel uncomfortable about it to use the snap cap to ease your mind?
Old 09-29-2010, 17:45   #15
Cody Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullotto69 View Post
Now did that come from GLOCK, or did it come from some random Glock armorer? Because "Josh " in customer service at GLOCK in Smyrna said to dry fire as much as you want and if you feel uncomfortable about it to use the snap cap to ease your mind?
True. I also checked with Glock on this and got the same answer. Besides, I use a titanium striker. How will that get cracked?
Old 09-29-2010, 16:27   #16
firefighter4215

To me it just makes sense to use a snap cap. Cheap insurance against damages.
Old 09-29-2010, 22:04   #17
RYNOCG201

This-
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
To me it just makes sense to use a snap cap. Cheap insurance against damages.
This-
Quote:
Danny,
I know you would not have posted it unless you thought the source was reliable. That's good enough for me.
Thank You
And This-
Quote:
Please continue to post whatever info that you come across. There are many who appreciate the important updates from an experienced armorer
Thanks DannyR
Old 09-29-2010, 16:28   #18
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

We had minor breechface damage detected during semi-annual armorer inspection. Over the phone, the glock rep immediately pronounced it to be from dryfiring. It turned out to be someting else, but his immediate pronouncement of dryfiring as the cause told me all I needed to know. That said, many of our guns have been dryfired a thousand or more times with no ill effects. Sans snap caps.

Quote:
I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to dry firing Glocks. I've always dry fired 100 times the night before and the morning of a match. My assumption was that if you have to dry fire a Glock to field strip it, then it must be OK to dry fire it, period. Well, I've been wrong (again). The official word from Glock is:

"If you’re going to dry fire onther than for disassembly, use a snap cap."

That is a fact and not an invitation for argument. Just accept it for what it's worth.

I've just ordered A-Zooms in 9mm and .45GAP from MidwayUSA.
Old 09-29-2010, 16:30   #19
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Old 09-29-2010, 16:40   #20
chasbo00

At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

My personal dry fire practice drills would be cumbersome with "snap-caps."

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."
Old 09-29-2010, 16:53   #21
FobulousGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."

Why is it cumbersome with snap caps? You only need to move the slide back enough to re-engage the trigger. Do you let the snap cap fly out of the gun everytime?
Old 09-29-2010, 16:58   #22
chasbo00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FobulousGlock View Post
Why is it cumbersome with snap caps? You only need to move the slide back enough to re-engage the trigger. Do you let the snap cap fly out of the gun everytime?
I often dry fire without a magazine. Although one only needs to pull the slide back a short distance, I find I often pull it back far enough to eject a snap-cap.
Old 09-29-2010, 17:16   #23
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
I often dry fire without a magazine. Although one only needs to pull the slide back a short distance, I find I often pull it back far enough to eject a snap-cap.
So don't pull it back that far. Problem solved.
Old 09-29-2010, 21:59   #24
mboylan

Old 09-29-2010, 17:15   #25
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:

I think you are taking the advice just a bit too literal. Some people dry fire hundreds, if not thousands, of times in a relatively short period of time for trigger practice. I'm sure this was meant to address those situations.