GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 16:06   #1
DannyR
Moderator
 
DannyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 38,246
Dry Firing Glocks, The Official Word

I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to dry firing Glocks. I've always dry fired 100 times the night before and the morning of a match. My assumption was that if you have to dry fire a Glock to field strip it, then it must be OK to dry fire it, period. Well, I've been wrong (again). The official word from Glock is:

"If you’re going to dry fire onther than for disassembly, use a snap cap."

That is a fact and not an invitation for argument. Just accept it for what it's worth.

I've just ordered A-Zooms in 9mm and .45GAP from MidwayUSA.
__________________
Lifetime GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer 1997-2015
NROI, Level I
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan
DannyR is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:16   #2
doneroman
SheepDogs-R-Us
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Infidel lair
Posts: 950
Hmm interesting.


What're you gonna do with the 45 gap one?
doneroman is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:19   #3
DannyR
Moderator
 
DannyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 38,246
My competition Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP.

My carry Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP:

All my Glocks are 9mm and .45GAP
__________________
Lifetime GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer 1997-2015
NROI, Level I
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan
DannyR is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:20   #4
COM165
Senior Member
 
COM165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 465
Wow, I can't even tell you how many times that I have dry fired all of my Glocks. What damage can it do?
__________________
Don't blame me. I voted for Romney!
COM165 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:22   #5
DannyR
Moderator
 
DannyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 38,246
I don't know. My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
__________________
Lifetime GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer 1997-2015
NROI, Level I
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan
DannyR is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 21:43   #6
Blunt object
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I don't know. My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
Actually, this is the kind of information from a seasoned Glock guy that reinforces my belief that dry firing does not harm Glocks.
It mirrors my experience, corporate pronouncements notwithstanding.
__________________
Invictustraining.com
Blunt object is offline  
Old 09-30-2010, 21:29   #7
SIGlock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Rocket City, USA
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
All right. This is the real "data" that we need to know. Countless thousands of dry fires. That does not include the 75,000 fired rounds which actually has some material damaging effects to the breech face (due to impact fatigue during the casing pushing backward on the breech face).

As a material engineer.... I think it is O.K. to dry fire.....moderately....say a few hundred times a year. That's more that most people want to dry fire anyway.

So, why Glock advices to use snap-cap? "BE SAFE THAN SORRY" motto. I would advice the same thing....if I was working for Glock.
__________________
Resisting Glock is futile.
SIGlock is offline  
Old 09-30-2010, 21:38   #8
Glocks&Ducs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 11,815


Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGlock View Post
All right. This is the real "data" that we need to know. Countless thousands of dry fires. That does not include the 75,000 fired rounds which actually has some material damaging effects to the breech face (due to impact fatigue during the casing pushing backward on the breech face).

As a material engineer.... I think it is O.K. to dry fire.....moderately....say a few hundred times a year. That's more that most people want to dry fire anyway.

So, why Glock advices to use snap-cap? "BE SAFE THAN SORRY" motto. I would advice the same thing....if I was working for Glock.
But the majority of the breach face is contacted by the entire face of the casing, and as a whole it isn't as thin as it is immediately surrounding the firing pin hole. I believe the advice came about in order to prevent the weaker circle around the firing pin hole from becoming cracked and protruding, or because they have switched to MIM for the firing pin. We have seen pictures of the firing pin hole protruding in the past.
Glocks&Ducs is offline  
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47   #9
in_this_city
Glocktoberfest
 
in_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGlock View Post
I think it is O.K. to dry fire.....moderately....say a few hundred times a year. That's more that most people want to dry fire anyway.
A few hundred a year is fine, but for me, I dry fire a few hundred times a week. I always use a snap cap cause Id rather be safe than sorry.

and thank you DannyR for your informative posts. They are much appreciated.
in_this_city is offline  
Old 10-01-2010, 15:56   #10
Sonnytoo
Senior Member
 
Sonnytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post

My 1996 G19 is approaching 75,000 fired rounds and countless thousands of dry fires.
I suspect this answers my question.
sonnytoo
Sonnytoo is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:26   #11
bentbiker
NRA Member
 
bentbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by COM165 View Post
What damage can it do?
Cracks in breech face and/or FP.
bentbiker is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:22   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,677
Blog Entries: 1


tagged.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:31   #13
COM165
Senior Member
 
COM165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 465
I have a few snap caps for my .40 that have a small recess where the pin will strike. But for my 9mm I have a bag of SAF-T-TRAINERS that are flat in the back (no recess for pin to strike). They are blaze orange and made by a co. called Precision Gun Specialties Inc. I had used them for malfunction drills. Are these considered "snap caps" and is it safe to use them in my 19?
__________________
Don't blame me. I voted for Romney!
COM165 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:26   #14
fullotto69
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbus
Posts: 104
Now did that come from GLOCK, or did it come from some random Glock armorer? Because "Josh " in customer service at GLOCK in Smyrna said to dry fire as much as you want and if you feel uncomfortable about it to use the snap cap to ease your mind?
fullotto69 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 17:45   #15
Cody Jarrett
Senior Member
 
Cody Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullotto69 View Post
Now did that come from GLOCK, or did it come from some random Glock armorer? Because "Josh " in customer service at GLOCK in Smyrna said to dry fire as much as you want and if you feel uncomfortable about it to use the snap cap to ease your mind?
True. I also checked with Glock on this and got the same answer. Besides, I use a titanium striker. How will that get cracked?
Cody Jarrett is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:27   #16
firefighter4215
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,021
To me it just makes sense to use a snap cap. Cheap insurance against damages.
firefighter4215 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 22:04   #17
RYNOCG201
Senior Member
 
RYNOCG201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 863
This-
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
To me it just makes sense to use a snap cap. Cheap insurance against damages.
This-
Quote:
Danny,
I know you would not have posted it unless you thought the source was reliable. That's good enough for me.
Thank You
And This-
Quote:
Please continue to post whatever info that you come across. There are many who appreciate the important updates from an experienced armorer
Thanks DannyR
__________________
.40 S&W, 10mm, .223/5.56, 12 gauge
"When the shooting starts would you rather be armed or legal?"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RYNOCG201 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:28   #18
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor
 
Bill Lumberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,859
We had minor breechface damage detected during semi-annual armorer inspection. Over the phone, the glock rep immediately pronounced it to be from dryfiring. It turned out to be someting else, but his immediate pronouncement of dryfiring as the cause told me all I needed to know. That said, many of our guns have been dryfired a thousand or more times with no ill effects. Sans snap caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I am as guilty as anyone else when it comes to dry firing Glocks. I've always dry fired 100 times the night before and the morning of a match. My assumption was that if you have to dry fire a Glock to field strip it, then it must be OK to dry fire it, period. Well, I've been wrong (again). The official word from Glock is:

"If you’re going to dry fire onther than for disassembly, use a snap cap."

That is a fact and not an invitation for argument. Just accept it for what it's worth.

I've just ordered A-Zooms in 9mm and .45GAP from MidwayUSA.
__________________
Did someone talk to you about your TPS reports?
Bill Lumberg is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:30   #19
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
SCC is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:40   #20
chasbo00
Senior Member
 
chasbo00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 167
At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

My personal dry fire practice drills would be cumbersome with "snap-caps."

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."
chasbo00 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:53   #21
FobulousGlock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

My personal dry fire practice drills would be cumbersome with "snap-caps."

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."

Why is it cumbersome with snap caps? You only need to move the slide back enough to re-engage the trigger. Do you let the snap cap fly out of the gun everytime?
FobulousGlock is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 16:58   #22
chasbo00
Senior Member
 
chasbo00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FobulousGlock View Post
Why is it cumbersome with snap caps? You only need to move the slide back enough to re-engage the trigger. Do you let the snap cap fly out of the gun everytime?
I often dry fire without a magazine. Although one only needs to pull the slide back a short distance, I find I often pull it back far enough to eject a snap-cap.
chasbo00 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 17:16   #23
Glocks&Ducs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 11,815


Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
I often dry fire without a magazine. Although one only needs to pull the slide back a short distance, I find I often pull it back far enough to eject a snap-cap.
So don't pull it back that far. Problem solved.
Glocks&Ducs is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 21:59   #24
mboylan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,296
.....
mboylan is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 17:15   #25
Glocks&Ducs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 11,815


Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
At most competition pistol matches, shooters are required to "unload and show clear" at the end of stages. This entails removing the magazine; pulling the slide to the rear if it's not already at slide lock; physically showing that the chamber is empty to the range or safety officer, letting the slide go forward; and lastly, pulling the trigger (dry firing) the pistol before re-holstering. I don't think inserting a "snap-cap" in this process will be well received.

My personal dry fire practice drills would be cumbersome with "snap-caps."

I would also like to hear a technical explanation why dry fire with a Glock, other than for disassembly, should be with "snap-caps."
I think you are taking the advice just a bit too literal. Some people dry fire hundreds, if not thousands, of times in a relatively short period of time for trigger practice. I'm sure this was meant to address those situations.
Glocks&Ducs is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:55.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 864
237 Members
627 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42