Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2011, 18:48   #1
NRV Shooter

Range report Mk III Target/TALO Special

I just bought a new Mark III Target, in the TALO distributor's special version, with 4.5" fluted barrel and beautiful rosewood looking stocks that have a little bit of a thumb rest for right handed shooters.

I shot it this week and it is an absolute tack driver with some Winchester and CCI ammo. It fits and balances better than my 22/45 with a longer barrel and it seems to shoot a tighter group when I can hold still. The fiber optic front sight is easier to see than the blade on the 22/45, at least for me on the indoor range. I'll shoot them both outside once the temperature gets above freezing.

Shooting these .22's is more fun than my 9mm and the .44 I used to have, not to mention cheaper!
NRV Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27   #2
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRV Shooter View Post
Shooting these .22's is more fun than my 9mm and the .44 I used to have, not to mention cheaper!
I have a Ruger Mark II with a bull barrel which always used to be my second gun on any visit to the range. I bought it in the eighties. The gun must have like a ga-billion rounds through it. And, I only clean it about every 5,000 rounds (or when it starts jamming) whichever comes first. There are definitely bait box guns that get treated better than this thing.

It's still a tack driver. It's still very reliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 20:16   #3
ForeverGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I have a Ruger Mark II with a bull barrel which always used to be my second gun on any visit to the range. I bought it in the eighties. The gun must have like a ga-billion rounds through it. And, I only clean it about every 5,000 rounds (or when it starts jamming) whichever comes first. There are definitely bait box guns that get treated better than this thing.

It's still a tack driver. It's still very reliable.
I love my Mk III target and it shoots pretty tight groups. It's a pain to clean but like all my other guns gets cleaned after every trip to the range. I guess I'm just "old school" when it comes to that. If I remember correctly, a dirty weapon was grounds for an article 15 in the service.
ForeverGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 21:50   #4
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGlock View Post
I love my Mk III target and it shoots pretty tight groups. It's a pain to clean but like all my other guns gets cleaned after every trip to the range. I guess I'm just "old school" when it comes to that. If I remember correctly, a dirty weapon was grounds for an article 15 in the service.
The original hinged pin that holds my Mark II together was too tight and made it a real wrestling match to take apart. The pin eventually broke and Ruger replaced it for free, but by then, my habits were set.

Can anybody explain the difference between a MKII and a MKIII?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 01-30-2011 at 21:50..
Old 02-01-2011, 11:49   #5
ForeverGlock

Quote:
The original hinged pin that holds my Mark II together was too tight and made it a real wrestling match to take apart. The pin eventually broke and Ruger replaced it for free, but by then, my habits were set.

Didn't mean that as a dig. My gunsmith even told me I clean my guns too much. Gotta admit that surprised me.
ForeverGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 13:59   #6
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Didn't mean that as a dig. My gunsmith even told me I clean my guns too much. Gotta admit that surprised me.
I didn't take it as a dig. I've owned my 1911 since 1987. I just figured out how to take it apart a few months back. I'm kind of a slob that way. If it's any consolation, I cleaned three of my guns yesterday and I cleaned my wife's Remington 1100 after we went to the range on Sunday. I guess there's a first for everything.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, a dirty weapon was grounds for an article 15 in the service.
I was never in the service. There wasn't much point since I would have been a prime candidate for a Section 8 from the get go.

Old 02-01-2011, 14:55   #7
NRV Shooter

Quote:

I think the differences are that the Mark III has a loaded chanber indicator, an internal safety lock, and will not fire with the magazine out of the gun.

I stripped my new gun prior to firing and the hinged pin was very tight but I got it out with a wooden dowel and a pecking hammer. After working with it a few times it loosened up a little. I could not get the barrel off the frame, at least not by applying an amount of force I thought safe without risking damage, so I just left it on and went shooting. A few hundred rounds should loosen things up.

I have learned the value of "RTFM" through dealling with these guns.
NRV Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 16:22   #8
MinervaDoe

Quote:
I have learned the value of "RTFM" through dealling with these guns.
That goes triple for the Ruger Mark models. It's the only gun I own where turning the gun uspide down and shaking a part into position is a documented step in reassembly.

Old 02-22-2011, 21:30   #9
bac1023

Quote:
I just bought a new Mark III Target, in the TALO distributor's special version, with 4.5" fluted barrel and beautiful rosewood looking stocks that have a little bit of a thumb rest for right handed shooters.

I shot it this week and it is an absolute tack driver with some Winchester and CCI ammo. It fits and balances better than my 22/45 with a longer barrel and it seems to shoot a tighter group when I can hold still. The fiber optic front sight is easier to see than the blade on the 22/45, at least for me on the indoor range. I'll shoot them both outside once the temperature gets above freezing.

Congrats on a fine rimfire.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 23:26   #10
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Talo Editions are sweet looking a special with all the nice extras they add congratulations on a sweet pistol.
Old 02-22-2011, 23:32   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I shoot a S&W 22S with a 7"(?) barrel plus a Red Dot Holo sight and it is incredible.

The finish on this pistole is crap. It dissolves with cleaning fluid.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote