GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50   #1
security79
Gene Frenkle
 
security79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Shermer, Illinois
Posts: 941
TN Bill Would Make Following Shariah a Felony

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_tennessee_shariah_law
__________________
He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and His angels. Revelations 3:5
security79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54   #2
pknimrod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 207
Vote getting gimmick! if this is the most important item on their agenda.....
Peter.
pknimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57   #3
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out
 
HerrGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 64,413


Any part of that that restricts any religious followings that does NOT conflict with the federal, state, or local laws will be thrown out. Odds are the rest of it will too, just for good measure.
__________________
Sent from my rotary phone
"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a banjo!"- Linus Van Pelt
UNIX - Not just for Vestal Virgins any more
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:39   #4
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Any part of that that restricts any religious followings that does NOT conflict with the federal, state, or local laws will be thrown out. Odds are the rest of it will too, just for good measure.
Pretty much. The First Amendment freedom of religion, at least for the moment, still exists. You can't legislate someone not to keep their faith just because you don't like it.

I disagree with a a lot of religions. That doesn't mean I am pompous enough to decide that I must "force" others to believe as I do under the color of law.

The whole thing is idiotic.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:00   #5
chrishurley87
Senior Member
 
chrishurley87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ft. Bliss/El Paso, TX
Posts: 293
I don't see how that can pass/hold up as it is a violation of the Constitution. As much as I dislike fanatical Muslims, they're entitled to believe whatever they want. If those beliefs result in braking other laws; ie: perpetuating violence towards others or attempting to overthrow the government, well that's why those laws are there.
__________________
G23, CZ 75 9mm, Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag, Beretta Tomcat .32, Steyr Prohunter SBS 30-06, Mossberg 500 12 ga, Russian SKS, Romanian AK-47, Egyptian AK-47, Stag upper/PSA Lower AR/m4 clone
chrishurley87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 16:15   #6
cminzey
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
If we are not careful Shariah law will be in all states and will eventially take over which is what the Muslims have been wanting all along, It needs to be banned here along with the Arab face covering for women, I can't tell you how many times at the gym that the Muslim women are allowed into the swimming pool in full dress but if a kids goes in with a Tshirt on it's a problem. The Muslims have way to many rights that we didn't get example in the Schools they now have foot baths In the Big three plants they have a prayer room
cminzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:04   #7
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor
 
Santa CruZin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dixie
Posts: 21,709


What I find dangerous about this bill is it implies credence to perceived legitimacy of Sharia as an alternative to American law. A crime is a crime, no matter what religious flag you wave in front of your justifications. I would never legitimize Sharia by banning it because it already has no merit for proving for guilt or innocence when considering criminal complaints. Sharia is nothing but a shield for common criminals to hide behind and in my opinion has no basis in our court system for any purpose. If we ban it, it will be defended and if the ban is overturned (as our present administration would likely do), what is the end result? A stronger Sharia foothold in our court system than we started with? No thanks.

Put the scumbag in jail because he beat his wife, not because he did it out of his religious "principals".
__________________
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.
Santa CruZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27   #8
chrishurley87
Senior Member
 
chrishurley87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ft. Bliss/El Paso, TX
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa CruZin View Post
What I find dangerous about this bill is it implies credence to perceived legitimacy of Sharia as an alternative to American law. A crime is a crime, no matter what religious flag you wave in front of your justifications. I would never legitimize Sharia by banning it because it already has no merit for proving for guilt or innocence when considering criminal complaints. Sharia is nothing but a shield for common criminals to hide behind and in my opinion has no basis in our court system for any purpose. If we ban it, it will be defended and if the ban is overturned (as our present administration would likely do), what is the end result? A stronger Sharia foothold in our court system than we started with? No thanks.

Put the scumbag in jail because he beat his wife, not because he did it out of his religious "principals".
Very well said.
__________________
G23, CZ 75 9mm, Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag, Beretta Tomcat .32, Steyr Prohunter SBS 30-06, Mossberg 500 12 ga, Russian SKS, Romanian AK-47, Egyptian AK-47, Stag upper/PSA Lower AR/m4 clone
chrishurley87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32   #9
Mushinto
Master Member
 
Mushinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Posts: 12,050
I oppose all feel-good laws, on principle.

Even though, this one makes me feel good.
__________________
ML

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:24   #10
voyager4520
-----
 
voyager4520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Colorado
Posts: 8,518
Stoning someone to death isn't already a crime?
__________________
G23 G27
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:40   #11
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <
 
RustyShackelford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 46148
Posts: 4,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishurley87 View Post
I don't see how that can pass/hold up as it is a violation of the Constitution. As much as I dislike fanatical Muslims, they're entitled to believe whatever they want. If those beliefs result in braking other laws; ie: perpetuating violence towards others or attempting to overthrow the government, well that's why those laws are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa CruZin View Post
What I find dangerous about this bill is it implies credence to perceived legitimacy of Sharia as an alternative to American law. A crime is a crime, no matter what religious flag you wave in front of your justifications. I would never legitimize Sharia by banning it because it already has no merit for proving for guilt or innocence when considering criminal complaints. Sharia is nothing but a shield for common criminals to hide behind and in my opinion has no basis in our court system for any purpose. If we ban it, it will be defended and if the ban is overturned (as our present administration would likely do), what is the end result? A stronger Sharia foothold in our court system than we started with? No thanks.

Put the scumbag in jail because he beat his wife, not because he did it out of his religious "principals".
Well said.
__________________
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420
OD G32, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:57   #12
JK-linux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,655
I agree that singling it out gives it veracity. I'd rather see a bill that forbids consideration of any religious tenets in legals decisions. Any religion, culture or philosophy that is recognized as a valid influence for the outcome of legal dispositions is not a good thing in my opinion.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 14:58   #13
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?
 
crimsonaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,841
Don't suppose anyone actaully took the time to even read the bill summary...

Quote:
DESIGNATION
Under this bill, the attorney general may designate an organization as a sharia organization if the attorney general finds that:
(1) The organization knowingly adheres to sharia;
(2) The organization engages in, or retains the capability and intent to engage in, an act of terrorism; and
(3) The act of terrorism of the organization threatens the security or public safety of this state's residents.

This bill defines "sharia" as the set of rules, precepts, instructions, or edicts which are said to emanate directly or indirectly from the god of Allah or the prophet Mohammed and which include directly or indirectly the encouragement of any person to support the abrogation, destruction, or violation of the United States or Tennessee Constitutions, or the destruction of the national existence of the United States or the sovereignty of this state, and which includes among other methods to achieve these ends, the likely use of imminent violence.
Yah, let's pass judgement based on what some reporter says...
__________________
The third rule of fight club: have fun and try your best.
crimsonaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 13:17   #14
robin48
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 39
[QUOTE=crimsonaudio;16973932]Don't suppose anyone actaully took the time to even read the bill summary...



Yah, let's pass judgement based on what some reporter says...[/QUOTEI agree. +1
robin48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:00   #15
RichardB
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
RichardB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,357
This is the first time I've read that Tennessee was a Mecca for Islamic fundamentalists and its citizens all needed this protection. This is BS.

Next on the legislative agenda: Do something about the religious rattlesnakes of Tennessee.

Yeah, right.
__________________
Richard

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52   #16
Peace Frog
...............
 
Peace Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,899
We should round up all muslims in the US just like we did the Japanese.
But the difference should be that all muslims be sent to Chelyabinsk and fed only pork.
The Japanese were loyal and wanted to fight for America.Then after the war they didn't go crying to anybody wanting reparations for being in camps.Look at those crybaby ****ing muslims crying about a little abuse they deserved in prison,that's if it really happened...which I doubt.

But of course it will never happen,the US and the bleeding heart liberals will continue to say that islam is a peaceful religion and they will one day rule this land too.

Enjoy!


Last edited by Peace Frog; 03-12-2011 at 12:52..
Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 17:12   #17
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
We should round up all muslims in the US just like we did the Japanese.
But the difference should be that all muslims be sent to Chelyabinsk and fed only pork.
The Japanese were loyal and wanted to fight for America.Then after the war they didn't go crying to anybody wanting reparations for being in camps.Look at those crybaby ****ing muslims crying about a little abuse they deserved in prison,that's if it really happened...which I doubt.

But of course it will never happen,the US and the bleeding heart liberals will continue to say that islam is a peaceful religion and they will one day rule this land too.

Enjoy!

Wow, this is a really dumb statement. Once you decide you are going to violate the civil rights of a group because of their religious belief system, you open the door to have it done to you, and anyone else who may not be "popular" at the time. The Bill of Rights exists for a reason, apparenlty in this case, to protect others from people like you.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 18:05   #18
Peace Frog
...............
 
Peace Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Wow, this is a really dumb statement. Once you decide you are going to violate the civil rights of a group because of their religious belief system, you open the door to have it done to you, and anyone else who may not be "popular" at the time. The Bill of Rights exists for a reason, apparenlty in this case, to protect others from people like you.
Open the door?Its already happening to Christians...Wake up!

muslims don't deserve any rights.Study their so called religion (which its not) and you may have your eyes opened...then again maybe you won't.

Watch this documentary...then tell me if you still believe they are a religion of peace.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Is...624#height1912

Last edited by Peace Frog; 03-14-2011 at 18:07..
Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 22:09   #19
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
Jewish law isn't much different, people were stoned to death for a number of things.
Up until the 1700's Christians would burn, stone or "press" to death people that went against their believes.
Can't see where Muslim law is much different. Just think they need time to evolve and move out of their killing ways same as the Jews and Christians did.
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 21:32   #20
AlexHassin
Senior Member
 
AlexHassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
Open the door?Its already happening to Christians...Wake up!

muslims don't deserve any rights.Study their so called religion (which its not) and you may have your eyes opened...then again maybe you won't.

Watch this documentary...then tell me if you still believe they are a religion of peace.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Is...624#height1912
We should also round up the fundamentalist Christians with there so called religion (which it is not). Seriously look at what those people believe. And they form hate groups like the WBC, and some of them even use religion as a justification for terrorism.
Once set a precedent can really suck. Also religion and peace is that not an oxymoron?
AlexHassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 18:17   #21
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
Open the door?Its already happening to Christians...Wake up!

muslims don't deserve any rights.Study their so called religion (which its not) and you may have your eyes opened...then again maybe you won't.

Watch this documentary...then tell me if you still believe they are a religion of peace.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Is...624#height1912
I am failing to see anything Christian about you, are you making the claim to be a follower of Christ?
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40   #22
RichardB
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
RichardB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,357
[QUOTE=Peace Frog;17031578]We should round up all muslims in the US just like we did the Japanese.
But the difference should be that all muslims be sent to Chelyabinsk and fed only pork.

How does your proposed action fit in with Jesus' message of love?

You failed to note that the roundup of Japanese was a horrendous mistake based on ignorance and prejudice, not because of any threat by them to our country. The anti Japanese hysteria in 1942 was pretty widespread as was the anti communist hysteria of the late 1940s and 1950s. Despite what the noisy politicians were saying the Reds did not stand a chance of taking us over. Have the schools failed to teach the lessons of history?

I once went to a fundamentalist church where the preacher told us that Rev Billy Graham was a dangerous liberal and that only 144,000 or so would be taken to heaven at the end of time.

While I still live a pretty straight life, now as an adult I am no longer with the holier than thou set and I realize that, if slightly twisted and misdirected, religion can be a force for evil. We can defeat those who would change our way of life without a blanket condemnation of entire races, cultures or religions.
__________________
Richard

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:56   #23
Peace Frog
...............
 
Peace Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,899
[QUOTE=RichardB;17058765]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
We should round up all muslims in the US just like we did the Japanese.
But the difference should be that all muslims be sent to Chelyabinsk and fed only pork.

How does your proposed action fit in with Jesus' message of love?

You failed to note that the roundup of Japanese was a horrendous mistake based on ignorance and prejudice, not because of any threat by them to our country. The anti Japanese hysteria in 1942 was pretty widespread as was the anti communist hysteria of the late 1940s and 1950s. Despite what the noisy politicians were saying the Reds did not stand a chance of taking us over. Have the schools failed to teach the lessons of history?

I once went to a fundamentalist church where the preacher told us that Rev Billy Graham was a dangerous liberal and that only 144,000 or so would be taken to heaven at the end of time.

While I still live a pretty straight life, now as an adult I am no longer with the holier than thou set and I realize that, if slightly twisted and misdirected, religion can be a force for evil. We can defeat those who would change our way of life without a blanket condemnation of entire races, cultures or religions.
Jesus isn't all about love.He is a jealous God.But that's another subject.

As for my statement about the Japanese I used them just because they were rounded up...foolishly,but they never lost face.I know history about a few things,not all.I've lived with muslims,my mother is Japanese making me half Japanese.On one side of my family we have a long history of Buddhists and on the other Baptist.I've been to every kind of religious service I could,read and studied religions and their history.Without a doubt after living with,reading and studying islam,IMHO is not a religion.

Did you watch the video?They do a good job of explaining islam.Even have some former muslim terrorists telling you that islam is not a peaceful religion.
Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36   #24
AlexHassin
Senior Member
 
AlexHassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,023
[QUOTE=Peace Frog;17059226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Jesus isn't all about love.He is a jealous God.But that's another subject.

As for my statement about the Japanese I used them just because they were rounded up...foolishly,but they never lost face.I know history about a few things,not all.I've lived with muslims,my mother is Japanese making me half Japanese.On one side of my family we have a long history of Buddhists and on the other Baptist.I've been to every kind of religious service I could,read and studied religions and their history.Without a doubt after living with,reading and studying islam,IMHO is not a religion.

Did you watch the video?They do a good job of explaining islam.Even have some former muslim terrorists telling you that islam is not a peaceful religion.
Religion and peace, after studying religion shouldn’t you relies that’s an oxymoron? Religions are all radical and such until they have power then its all about fallowing the status quote ( the behave after life benefits, change in focus from a jealous god to a loving one)
AlexHassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 17:00   #25
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
[QUOTE=Peace Frog;17059226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Jesus isn't all about love.He is a jealous God.But that's another subject.

As for my statement about the Japanese I used them just because they were rounded up...foolishly,but they never lost face.I know history about a few things,not all.I've lived with muslims,my mother is Japanese making me half Japanese.On one side of my family we have a long history of Buddhists and on the other Baptist.I've been to every kind of religious service I could,read and studied religions and their history.Without a doubt after living with,reading and studying islam,IMHO is not a religion.

Did you watch the video?They do a good job of explaining islam.Even have some former muslim terrorists telling you that islam is not a peaceful religion.
If Jesus were like you, he would have called down fire on the San Hendrin, struck down Ponchus Pilot, slaughtered the Romans, and made Himself Empreror of Rome. Fortunately, He is not, otherwise He would have never have consented to die of the cross for people who hated Him, and there would no salvation for anyone at all.

I think I prefer the other Jesus, not yours.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:09.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,114
341 Members
773 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42