SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:07   #1
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
Concealed carriers generally wear holsters,why?

quote: "Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster".

I am making a comment on RussP’s tread “LE perspective: dealing with legally carrying a concealed weapon “ and in the article the author makes a comment that “Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster“.
The question is why do you think they don’t?
is there an advantage to not wearing one?
Is there a “cool factor” involved?
Is it just a money thing ?
Is it just that they don’t know it is safer or just don‘t care?

lets face it.... it amazes me that they can carry a weapon in there pants with out one they are so loose

Last edited by barstoolguru; 05-09-2011 at 11:10..
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:10   #2
ImDaGlockinator!

I think that in many cases felons haven't bothered to take firearms safety classes which typically encourage the student to carry their firearm in a holster(preferably a retention holster of some sort)
ImDaGlockinator! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:20   #3
Gator Monroe

If we could all carry the way Jack Black carried the hidden 1911A1 as the Lead Farmer brought him to the Drug Gangs compound on the back of the water buffalo in Tropic Thunder we would not need holsters .

Last edited by Gator Monroe; 05-09-2011 at 11:25..
Gator Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25   #4
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why don't felons carry in a holster?

Well, for one thing they would have to go find/acquire a holster that fits the firearm they are carrying at that particular time. That is probably seen as an unnecessary hassle and, potentially, even something which increases risk/exposure.

It's probably easier to ditch the gun than the holster + gun.

Most holsters are designed to be worn on a belt.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:03   #5
Dr.Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
If we could all carry the way Jack Black carried the hidden 1911A1 as the Lead Farmer brought him to the Drug Gangs compound on the back of the water buffalo in Tropic Thunder we would not need holsters .
I love that movie!
Dr.Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50   #6
philvsphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDaGlockinator! View Post
I think that in many cases felons haven't bothered to take firearms safety classes which typically encourage the student to carry their firearm in a holster(preferably a retention holster of some sort)
I live in Miami, FL they aren't ALLOWED to take these courses or allowed to go into gun ranges. I don't know if it's the same everywhere else
philvsphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54   #7
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDaGlockinator! View Post
You're kidding, right?
Old 05-09-2011, 13:00   #8
RRTX11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
You're kidding, right?
I don't think he understands that a "felon" cannot even TOUCH a firearm as long as their felony is on record. They could train with a toy gun possibly???

GK
RRTX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 13:31   #9
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
quote: "Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster".

I am making a comment on RussP’s tread “LE perspective: dealing with legally carrying a concealed weapon “ and in the article the author makes a comment that “Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster“.

lets face it.... it amazes me that they can carry a weapon in there pants with out one they are so loose

If you understood the origins of the term "mexican carry", you would then understand the reason why those who illegally carry a firearm generally prefer to not use a holster.

F2blica understands the reason...
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2blica View Post
If they have to ditch their "piece" quickly they're not caught walking around with a holster on their hip when a cop is questioning them.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:07   #10
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post

If you understood the origins of the term "mexican carry", you would then understand the reason why those who illegally carry a firearm generally prefer to not use a holster.

F2blica understands the reason...
I agree. Most dont "carry" the gun. They keep it close, in their girlfriend's purse, under a car seat, etc...
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19   #11
F2blica

If they have to ditch their "piece" quickly they're not caught walking around with a holster on their hip when a cop is questioning them.
F2blica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15   #12
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2blica View Post
This. I took a school once on spotting concealed carry in the criminal element and it was pointed out at the school that felons don't want to get caught with a holster, it makes too many questions. the gun by itself is much easier to ditch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:23   #13
GunFighter45ACP

Good Guys: Carry firearms responsibly, appreciate the need for comfortable, all day carry, & want a consistent 'grab' on the firearm, when needed. A good holster will generally keep your firearm at the same cant, ride height, and location on the body for that consistency.

Bad Guys: no responsibilities, only carry a gun when they want to cause trouble or confront trouble, & don't like 'evidence' that they were carrying a weapon when confronted by a legal authority.
Lone Star Glockers #85
GunFighter45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24   #14
zigzagg321
clever quip

Seems simple to me, retention.
zigzagg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:46   #15
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post

To quote a famous Vorlon Ambassador "Yes"
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54   #16
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

The purpose of my holster is to cover the trigger.

Thugs don't care if they endanger someone nearby with ND.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:22   #17
BobbyT

It's just one of those Catch-22 situations, like how the type of person who could sit down and plan the perfect crime is the type who wouldn't commit it, whereas the guy who does gets caught over something stupid.

Why do thugs tat themselves into oblivion and drive cars with busted lights, tacky rims, and temp tags that are 3 years old? Why don't drug transporters put on a suit and tie, have a clean shave, and if pulled over speak to the officer politely so he has no reason to suspect they have 100 kilos of coke in back?

Luckily, most thugs are stupid and therefore easier to catch. Generalities are generally true.

Last edited by BobbyT; 05-14-2011 at 21:22..
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09   #18
Aeroscoper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post

Luckily, most thugs are stupid and therefore easier to catch, and that's why generalities are generally true.

This.
“I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, … The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.” – Nathan Meyer Rothschild
Aeroscoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:29   #19
swinokur

2 reasons

They didn't take an NRA handgun course, so they don't know the 4 rules.

You can't draw from a holster when your pants are hanging down under your butt
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:52   #20
John Biltz

Because the term criminal genius really doesn't apply to many.