GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19   #1
GTownGlockMan
Senior Member
 
GTownGlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 243
Individual Officer Taser Sales

So a quick backstory. My former department issued everything needed for duty ie G22, quality body armor, Colt AR, X26 Taser, all uniforms/equipment...

It's looking like I may be picked up by another much smaller department in the very near future that issues next to nothing in regards to equipment. I LOVE having the Taser option on my belt plus where I mount it on my belt makes for an excellent arm rest during field interviews. My question is, does Taser sell to individual officers or do you know of one of their distributors that does or is it a Taser policy that all purchases go to departments via official department PO or letterhead? (PS I'm not interested in one of the old M26 Tasers)

I would love one of their new X2's or hell, I'd go for a used X26 if the price was right and it was in good shape but I don't know how successful I'd be at convincing a new chief to order one for me even if I do incur all the associated costs.
__________________
"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender." Proverbs 22:7
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GTownGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27   #2
ClydeG19
Senior Member
 
ClydeG19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,279


You can get a 10% discount on civilian models, but I believe the distributors will only sell the law enforcement models to agencies.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29   #3
JTipper.45
Senior Member
 
JTipper.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 379
Contact Taser for your local dist. They will do officer sales with the proper ID from your department, just like a firearm purchase. I bought my own Taser back in 2006. I had concidered the X3 when it came out but it is WAY to big in my opinion. Now that the X2 has come out I am thinking of trading in my X26.
__________________
G17, G19, G20, G21, G22, G26, G35, G37
Certified Glock Armorer / Patrol Rifle Certified
JTipper.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:21   #4
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 3,565
"Umm, chief, I lost my Taser. Sorry".

Easy. Thank me later.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 15:02   #5
rookie1
Senior Member
 
rookie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
"Umm, chief, I lost my Taser. Sorry".

Easy. Thank me later.

You can lose it, then find it later when your at your new department or after the new one comes in. Then offer to pay for it or when the new one comes in take that one because after all, you paid for it.
__________________
"If you feed a zombie the brains of an obama supporter the zombie will starve. " silentpoet

Last edited by rookie1; 05-22-2011 at 15:04..
rookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 17:48   #6
Rohniss
Senior Member
 
Rohniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,743
I had a thread asking the same thing not to long ago...

I got as far as to start calling Distributors to price (they will sell to individual officers, as long as you have your creds/letterhead) but I decided against it...

Mainly due to Price... IIRC the M series is around 400, and the X26 is 800, I didn't have the guts to ask for the Axiom (3 shot X series)... but I work inside the walls and if I decided I wanted to go out, they'd issue me an X26...

In short, be prepared for sticker shock...
__________________
Note: All of the above expressed opinions above are those of the poster. No representation is made that the above post construes legal advice or is to be considered as anything but the personal opinion of the poster. View at your own Peril.
Rohniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 20:38   #7
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
There are two price lists with your local distributor: an agency price and an officer price. Contact Taser to find out who your distributor is. You're probably talking close to $900 for an X26.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 22:57   #8
BlackPaladin
Senior Member
 
BlackPaladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,455
Now with the X2 available, maybe I can pick up a cheap x26 used.
__________________
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 00:23   #9
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
Now with the X2 available, maybe I can pick up a cheap x26 used.
I haven't seen pricing on the X2 yet, but I wouldn't count on it. The X3 was and is a colossal flop. Too big, too many buttons, too damned complicated. What a horrendous idea it was, and fortunately it appears that most agencies saw through it.

I think the X2 will prove to be more of the same. The big draw in moving from the M26 to the X26 was that it fixed virtually every problem that the M26 had...smaller size, better controls, better batteries, better pulse controller...everything about it was better. The kicker was that it used the same cartridge. At $20 each, there are agencies that will not dare switch to a new device with new cartridges that is larger and more complicated. Let's face it, the X26 is as close to "cop proof" as such a complicated device can get.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:36   #10
BlackPaladin
Senior Member
 
BlackPaladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I haven't seen pricing on the X2 yet, but I wouldn't count on it. The X3 was and is a colossal flop. Too big, too many buttons, too damned complicated. What a horrendous idea it was, and fortunately it appears that most agencies saw through it.

I think the X2 will prove to be more of the same. The big draw in moving from the M26 to the X26 was that it fixed virtually every problem that the M26 had...smaller size, better controls, better batteries, better pulse controller...everything about it was better. The kicker was that it used the same cartridge. At $20 each, there are agencies that will not dare switch to a new device with new cartridges that is larger and more complicated. Let's face it, the X26 is as close to "cop proof" as such a complicated device can get.
I agree with what you are saying about the X26 being the sensible choice. I will add however, that having (2) shots in one cartridge vs carrying (2) seperate cartridges, is a huge deal maker. Where they are going wrong is adding all of the extra features (dual lasers, flashy lights ect.). That being said, at the end of the day the chance for me to have twice the pop in one, makes the X2 my pick.

IF, I had a Taser set up my way (my perfect Taser) I would go with:

-Same size as X26/X2 with double shot.
-Single green laser (would work in the daytime better.
-Short picitinny rail on the bottom for a user added weapon light
-No extra flashy crap with the exception of a battery status indicator.

That's it, simple and practical.
__________________
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 00:45   #11
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member
 
SAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: LA LA Land
Posts: 2,564
I'm not a big proponent of working for agencies that don't supply their officers with vital safety gear which would include a Taser in my book, but the bigger question I would have of such an agency is are they gonna back you if your Taser use results in death or serious injury to someone? I only ask because I've been involved in several in-custody Taser deaths, and there is always a lawsuit. Thankfully, the agency I work for has a Taser policy and covers these types of situations... So I would ask you that before you ran out and bought one.
__________________
Death is lighter than a feather, while duty is heavier than a mountain.
SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 18:49   #12
JTipper.45
Senior Member
 
JTipper.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 379
Here in La. the latest pricing for Tasers is 1799.00 for the X3, 999.00 for the X2 and 799.00 for the X26. Cartridges run 25 to 35 a pop depending on the footage. A rumor going around is in a few months Taser may do an exchange program so you can bring in your X26, some change and trade up to an X2 or X3. Trade in value will vary.
__________________
G17, G19, G20, G21, G22, G26, G35, G37
Certified Glock Armorer / Patrol Rifle Certified
JTipper.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 21:46   #13
GTownGlockMan
Senior Member
 
GTownGlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 243
Stopped getting GT reply notifications so honestly forgot about this post for a few days. Great news is that I did receive and accept the job offer from the much smaller Dept. Seem like a bunch of good guys, just some ol' country boys like me. Plus get to work with a buddy I graduated academy with. Now unfortunately after dropping $700 on armor (that gets reimbursed on your 1yr anniversary) I'm too broke to even play with the Taser idea for now. Maybe by the time I get reimbursed for the armor there will be an X26 trade in program that I can benefit from and snatch one up. Already got the Serpa for it anyways.
__________________
"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender." Proverbs 22:7
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GTownGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 22:12   #14
redneck1861
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownGlockMan View Post
Stopped getting GT reply notifications so honestly forgot about this post for a few days. Great news is that I did receive and accept the job offer from the much smaller Dept. Seem like a bunch of good guys, just some ol' country boys like me. Plus get to work with a buddy I graduated academy with. Now unfortunately after dropping $700 on armor (that gets reimbursed on your 1yr anniversary) I'm too broke to even play with the Taser idea for now. Maybe by the time I get reimbursed for the armor there will be an X26 trade in program that I can benefit from and snatch one up. Already got the Serpa for it anyways.
Hey, send me a PM with your contact info. My uncle is 1 of only 2 certified taser instructors in the state of Oklahoma. He gets special treatment on pricing. He will do all he can to help a LEO get a taser if the Dept doesnt issue them
redneck1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39   #15
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck1861 View Post
Hey, send me a PM with your contact info. My uncle is 1 of only 2 certified taser instructors in the state of Oklahoma. He gets special treatment on pricing. He will do all he can to help a LEO get a taser if the Dept doesnt issue them
Absolutely no way that the entire state of Oklahoma that has nearly 8,000 total officers in 318 agencies, not counting agencies that don't report to teh UCR, federal peace officers, reserve officers, part time officers, etc. has only two Taser instructors.

Heck, there are two instructor schools in Oklahoma this year yet.

http://www.policeone.com/training/TASER-Intl
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26   #16
redneck1861
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Absolutely no way that the entire state of Oklahoma that has nearly 8,000 total officers in 318 agencies, not counting agencies that don't report to teh UCR, federal peace officers, reserve officers, part time officers, etc. has only two Taser instructors.

Heck, there are two instructor schools in Oklahoma this year yet.

http://www.policeone.com/training/TASER-Intl

Well it maybe is just in this area, it is very possible that I misunderstood
redneck1861 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:44.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,172
344 Members
828 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31