Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2011, 18:21   #1
Acemedic1

Hospital workers/scrub pants carry?

Hey everybody, I have yet another question for the ccw holders out there. I am a Paramedic/RN and will be starting a job in the hospital soon. I have looked and asked all around and my particular hospital does not have a posted weapons policy, at least that I have found yet. I was wondering how many of yall carry inside your hospital, and if you do what ideas you may have for concealed carry while wearing thin scrub uniforms.

Glock 22,23,27 SA 1911, dpms ap4, wasr-10, 870x2, 10/22, reminton 700 x2 .300win/.270 kel tec p32
Acemedic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 19:10   #2
Acujeff

I like a small - medium fanny pack. Scrubs don't have a lot of pockets so regular fanny packs are common in hospital settings. You can wear, or even put on or remove, a fanny pack and your weapon is completely concealed.

I recommend the Bagmaster Ambidextrous Fanny Pack. It’s a snap and loop (velcro) and comes in three sizes. It lies flatter and looks smaller than zippered packs. Easier and faster to access under stress, it doesn’t snag and doesn't flop over your legs when drawing. You can use the 2 large front pockets for extra work stuff. Has a lifetime warranty too - they replace it free when it wears out.

http://www.bagmaster.com click link for Fanny and Belt Packs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Get free NRA-ILA legislative and RKBA e-mail alerts:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Acujeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 19:15   #3
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

My state prohibits carry in any secure care facility.

All the hospitals I've visited have been posted. In fact, I got "frisked" by hospital security once for having an empty holster. I'd left my carry gun in the vehicle, but was in a hurry because my father was dying, and so didn't remove the holster.

Ok, it also had something to do with my dad's really freaky wife telling them I had a gun on me. She wanted to get me arrested, and tried various things without success.

She really is a freak. Always has been, and always will be.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 19:36   #4
Acemedic1

Thanks for that tip acujeff, I have not thought about the possibility of carrying off of my body in a pack or pouch. Daryl, I hate that for you, hopefully I am not missing something.

Glock 22,23,27 SA 1911, dpms ap4, wasr-10, 870x2, 10/22, reminton 700 x2 .300win/.270 kel tec p32
Old 06-09-2011, 19:42   #5
Rick O'Shay

S.C. prohibits firearms in ANY medical treatment facility. So, moot point here.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 20:16   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

Belly Band.

100% concealment and retention is a must, your job could depend on it.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:49   #7
Acemedic1

hmm belly band huh, how comfortable are those things?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:46   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemedic1 View Post
hmm belly band huh, how comfortable are those things?
About like an ankle holster.

It will feel like an attached unborn fetus for a few weeks, but after that you will forget its there.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:45   #9
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Nothing beats an internal belt. A glock sport holster and wilderness tactical or similar belt worn over the boxers and t-shirt. Comfortable. Stable. Invisible. Not sure it's a good idea for a nurse, but it could be.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 06-10-2011 at 11:49..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18   #10
FatBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Nothing beats an internal belt. A glock sport holster and wilderness tactical or similar belt worn over the boxers and t-shirt. Comfortable. Stable. Invisible. Not sure it's a good idea for a nurse, but it could be.
I have done this before and it works well, but not for the same reason you are looking for(Hospitals are posted).

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57   #11
MrVvrroomm

fanny pack

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07   #12
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

for your particular needs you may benefit from a belly band or a concealment shirt (glockstore has both). I did not like the belly band because I need to be able to reholster one handed if needed. The concealment shirt (I have no first hand experience with) my friend has and swears by it. He works in the oil and gas industry on frac tanks and they are in some very secluded areas - just feels better knowing his firearm is under his left arm 12-18 hours at a time.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:46   #13
Donn57
Just me

In general, hospitals don't like folks carrying guns. I think that posted or not, carrying at work in a hospital is a bad idea unless you're sure that the hospital allows it. Being sure means speaking with the person who will fire you if you're found carrying and it isn't allowed.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57   #14
up1911fan

Can't carry in a hospital in MI, however I think a bellyband or ankle holster would work well.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 14:42   #15
dosei

SmartCarry / Thunderwear / 3Speed

http://www.smartcarry.com/

http://thunderwear.com/

http://3speedholster.com/
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 06-10-2011 at 14:46..
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:32   #16
Acemedic1

some good ideas fellows, thanks. I agree Donn57, but I am not sure how I am gonna go about asking just yet. I may try and feel out some coworkers first, what do you think?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:10   #17
Darkangel1846

Fanny Pack is the best but only for a small handgun like a KelTec .380, or a bodyguard .38. You can never take your fanny pack off at work, never! You may also wish to read all the Hospital policy book that is supposed to be available, as often it is buried in a policy.
Ankle holsters do not work , neither do belly bands. If you have a small fanny pack people do not suspect you might be packing. Getting caught with a CCW is a fireing offence in almost every case. Don't ever tell anyone that you carry.
Old 06-12-2011, 13:33   #18
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel1846 View Post
Fanny Pack is the best but only for a small handgun like a KelTec .380, or a bodyguard .38. You can never take your fanny pack off at work, never! You may also wish to read all the Hospital policy book that is supposed to be available, as often it is buried in a policy.
Ankle holsters do not work , neither do belly bands. If you have a small fanny pack people do not suspect you might be packing. Getting caught with a CCW is a fireing offence in almost every case. Don't ever tell anyone that you carry.
Nearly every option of carry has been discussed. I would go with Darkangel1846’s recommendation. Don’t ask anyone; carefully look through their policy book for employees and your state statutes. Two reasons for not asking others: (1) you don’t necessarily want others to know (2) they may tell you what they “think” is right, not necessarily what “is” right.

When looking at the statutes, not only look for prohibited places, also look for restrictions applicable to mental health facilities and find out if the hospital you are working at has any on premises (check definitions carefully).

Good luck! I hope the end result is that you can indeed carry.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 17:08   #19
beatcop

scrubs will print everything....pouches went out in the 80's...belly band or wallet style.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26   #20
ubimow

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post
scrubs will print everything....pouches went out in the 80's...belly band or wallet style.
I carried a Glock 19 every day for over a year wearing scrubs. I just tucked it into the scrubs AND underwear for extra support then tighten the drawstring. NOBODY knew I carried. I don't know why everyone thinks it so freakin hard to carry while wearing scrubs.