GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55   #1
dwalker84
Senior Member
 
dwalker84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 351
Need help - cheap 9mm - friend was raped

My fiance's friend from work has an abusive ex that's been stalking/harrassing her for months. Yesterday he came to her house, and beat her senseless, raped her, and threatened to kill her. The police arrested him and he is currently locked up, but no telling when/how quickly he will get out.

She's been asking us to take her to the range and teach her about guns and how to shoot - she knows absolutely nothing about firearms, but after speaking to her, she has made up her mind to carry and take this seriously. I'm taking her tomorrow first thing - but she needs to get a handgun. Her main problem is money - I told her the best bet would to be to pawn whatever she can, and get a new/used glock26 - I have a feeling she won't be able to get the money required to afford a glock.

My question is: What are a few affordable but RELIABLE pistols, that are smaller or around the size of a g26 - 9mm is preferred but 380 is as low as I think she should go. Her ex is 300+lb's, I'm concerned about a 380's ability to penetrate reliably.

Any suggestions?
dwalker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:01   #2
captdreifus
aSun666
 
captdreifus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 1,589
J frame. 360 shipped from buds or jet guns.
__________________
"I dont believe in an eye for an eye..I believe in two eyes for an eye" Bas Rutten
captdreifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:03   #3
tehama
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdreifus View Post
J frame. 360 shipped from buds or jet guns.
Will that J frame have too much bite for her though?
tehama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:30   #4
Foxtrotx1
Senior Member
 
Foxtrotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 4,029
J frame seems to be the default answer. I challenge that suggestion. Good luck getting her to enjoy shooting a J frame enough to be proficient.

A gun that fits her hand and makes her want to shoot would be my suggestion. If she loves a j frame, thats great.
__________________
Tin Foil Free Zone.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:33   #5
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic
 
3rdgen40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,208
If this was a friend of mine,I would go find her ex when he gets out and have a "talk" with him...
__________________
BIG BORE FAN
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:00   #6
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 View Post
If this was a friend of mine,I would go find her ex when he gets out and have a "talk" with him...
The woman isn't the OP's friend; she's a friend of the OP's fiance.

Regardless of their association or relationship the very last thing I'd recommend is becoming involved in a situation that's already resulted in the arrest of the perp. Let law enforcement/prosecution institutions deal with this alleged criminal. And do remember at this stage his criminality has not been adjudicated in a court of law.

What is the "friend" going to do when he initiates a confrontation with an alleged violent offender? What's the "friend" going to do if the perp escalates the confrontation that the "friend" initiated?

Your advice sound like a prescription for potentially very serious legal problems for the "friend" and it's not something I would ever recommend --- unless one is going out of his/her way to look for trouble.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:57   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
The woman isn't the OP's friend; she's a friend of the OP's fiance.

Regardless of their association or relationship the very last thing I'd recommend is becoming involved in a situation that's already resulted in the arrest of the perp. Let law enforcement/prosecution institutions deal with this alleged criminal. And do remember at this stage his criminality has not been adjudicated in a court of law.

What is the "friend" going to do when he initiates a confrontation with an alleged violent offender? What's the "friend" going to do if the perp escalates the confrontation that the "friend" initiated?

Your advice sound like a prescription for potentially very serious legal problems for the "friend" and it's not something I would ever recommend --- unless one is going out of his/her way to look for trouble.
None of which will be believed by the OP until he finds out that the victim has refused to testify in court.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42   #8
voyager4520
-----
 
voyager4520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Colorado
Posts: 8,583
Ruger SR9C, Ruger LC9

Less concealable but still reliable: S&W Sigma(HEAVY trigger), Ruger P-series, police trade-in S&W 3rd Gen.

Taurus revolvers are actually good quality. The only downsides to a revolver are a little heavier trigger pull, less capacity, and how long it takes to reload even with speed loaders.
__________________
G23 G27

Last edited by voyager4520; 07-02-2011 at 03:45..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53   #9
carbuncle
is not cool.
 
carbuncle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
Ruger SR9C, Ruger LC9

Less concealable but still reliable: S&W Sigma(HEAVY trigger), Ruger P-series, police trade-in S&W 3rd Gen.

Taurus revolvers are actually good quality. The only downsides to a revolver are a little heavier trigger pull, less capacity, and how long it takes to reload even with speed loaders.
I agree with all of this: Taurus 85 or any on the above are great choices, as would be the S&W SD9, all available in her price range and all good to go for her needs.

Last edited by carbuncle; 07-02-2011 at 09:54..
carbuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:01   #10
Baba Louie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,430
1. Prayers
2. Counseling
3. CZ-82!!! and direct her to Kathy's site CorneredCat pronto (please)

http://corneredcat.com/

Tell her a bunch of people are rooting for her (Jeez I cannot imagine going thru any of that)

Get the CZ cheap. Ammo too (relatively speaking in the 9Mak)
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...Makarovetc.htm
__________________
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:39   #11
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member
 
sdsnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,756


[QUOTE=Baba Louie;17574350]1. Prayers
2. Counseling
3. CZ-82!!! and direct her to Kathy's site CorneredCat pronto (please)

http://corneredcat.com/

Nice site !
__________________
NRA Member
Black Rifle Club # 1995
Kalashnikov Klub # 1995
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:31   #12
Schrag4
Senior Member
 
Schrag4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
Ruger SR9C, Ruger LC9

Less concealable but still reliable: S&W Sigma(HEAVY trigger), Ruger P-series, police trade-in S&W 3rd Gen.

Taurus revolvers are actually good quality. The only downsides to a revolver are a little heavier trigger pull, less capacity, and how long it takes to reload even with speed loaders.
While I love my Ruger SR9c, the recoil spring is quite heavy. I have no problem with it but I'm guessing she'll hate it (my wife has trouble with it anyway).
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:36   #13
datnvan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 412
if u have an extra one, teach her with it and then let her borrow it until she can afford the same one or something similar. but it seems the first thing that should be done is get a restraining order. of course that wont stop him from coming near her but does give her more legal "backing" if he shows up again and she needs to defend herself.

Last edited by datnvan; 07-02-2011 at 04:39..
datnvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28   #14
debbert
Senior Member
 
debbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Perry, OH
Posts: 814
I know that this will probably sound ridiculous, especially here at GT but since her budget is so limited, why not start off with a Hi Point?

I know, I know... don't flame me!

I've heard that they're reliable and they're definitely affordable, even if it's just a temporary thing until she can upgrade to something a bit nicer.

Here's a link to their 9mm with a suggested retail of $165.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...dguns_9mm.html
debbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:40   #15
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 9,332
She should shoot a few different guns and get a feel for how they are. Depending on how much she is going to practice, a revolver is not a bad option. How will she carry? If recoil is problem, an all steel revolver could be the answer.

Don't discount the used market either.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:19   #16
smokeross
GTDS Member #49
 
smokeross's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
She should shoot a few different guns and get a feel for how they are. Depending on how much she is going to practice, a revolver is not a bad option. How will she carry? If recoil is problem, an all steel revolver could be the answer.

Don't discount the used market either.
Yes, this. A double action .38 They never fail and are easy to learn. She can practice with loads that are comfortable to shoot and then keep it loaded with a good defensive round. If she has to use it, she won't notice the additional recoil.
__________________
Originally Posted by GTFor died instantly because his lungs froze from breathing in Arctic air.
Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies.
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19   #17
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by datnvan View Post
if u have an extra one, teach her with it and then let her borrow it until she can afford the same one or something similar. but it seems the first thing that should be done is get a restraining order. of course that wont stop him from coming near her but does give her more legal "backing" if he shows up again and she needs to defend herself.

This. If I had a friend who had unspeakable things happen to her as you mentioned, I'd gladly throw a gun her way and spend a couple weekends training her.

PS - Assuming it's legal in your state of course. I know in Texas giving guns as "gifts or letting them "borrow" is. I'd assume Arizona is the same way, they seem to be more relaxed on firearms than Texas.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45   #18
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil
 
HKLovingIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Out On The Tiles
Posts: 4,372
Rape counseling.
Visit from Locksmith - reinforced doors and windows or window bars, reinforced bedroom door with deadbolt.
Installation of alarm with panic button/remote
Self Defense Class
Professional Firearms Instruction

Low Cost Handguns for car, carry or home

Ruger SP101 .357 bobbed hammer, with Corbon DPX 110 gr .38 Special +p or Gold Dot 135 gr .38 Special +p, Nyclad .38 Special (all will have negligible recoil in steel revolver)

Similar steel frame Taurus Revolver with same loads.

Can find the above two used quite often and save a bunch.

Would stay away from the, Ruger LCR, and S&W Airweight and Airlite revolvers. Fine revolvers but the recoil is not for new shooters. Stick with steel frame revolvers.

Ruger LC9
Keltec PF9
Used G26
Ruger SR9C
Keltec P11
S&W 3913
SIG 225/P6
Stoeger Cougar

For home
Remington 870 Express Compact Jr 20 Gauge, buckshot
Police Trade G17
Sigma

Quick access lock box.
2nd cellphone always charging in the bedroom.

If money is a big problem, you can lend her some, she can pawn or sell something, or even though I detest consumer credit, she can likely get a store card at bass pros, Cabelas or Gander and just use it in the case of this emergency to purchase a firearm and accessories.

She needs to have layered protection. Make entry into the home difficult, backed up with an alarm and monitoring company, firearm is last resort. Make bedroom into reinforced safe room. Add a watch dog as additional alarm if suitable.
__________________
Jesus didn't have a stunt double, and neither do you...

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 07-02-2011 at 08:04..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:09   #19
CBennett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA/Covered by LEOSA
Posts: 11,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
Rape counseling.
Visit from Locksmith - reinforced doors and windows or window bars, reinforced bedroom door with deadbolt.
Installation of alarm with panic button/remote
Self Defense Class
Professional Firearms Instruction

Low Cost Handguns for car, carry or home

Ruger SP101 .357 bobbed hammer, with Corbon DPX 110 gr .38 Special +p or Gold Dot 135 gr .38 Special +p, Nyclad .38 Special (all will have negligible recoil in steel revolver)

Similar steel frame Taurus Revolver with same loads.

Can find the above two used quite often and save a bunch.

Would stay away from the, Ruger LCR, and S&W Airweight and Airlite revolvers. Fine revolvers but the recoil is not for new shooters. Stick with steel frame revolvers.

Ruger LC9
Keltec PF9
Used G26
Ruger SR9C
Keltec P11
S&W 3913
SIG 225/P6
Stoeger Cougar

For home
Remington 870 Express Compact Jr 20 Gauge, buckshot
Police Trade G17
Sigma

Quick access lock box.
2nd cellphone always charging in the bedroom.

If money is a big problem, you can lend her some, she can pawn or sell something, or even though I detest consumer credit, she can likely get a store card at bass pros, Cabelas or Gander and just use it in the case of this emergency to purchase a firearm and accessories.

She needs to have layered protection. Make entry into the home difficult, backed up with an alarm and monitoring company, firearm is last resort. Make bedroom into reinforced safe room. Add a watch dog as additional alarm if suitable.
Ive got the SR9c id have her try the slide on that first my wife cant rack the slide on the SR9c..she could rack the slide on the Glock 23 easily enough but the SR9c has some pretty strong springs in it. Great gun just strong spring..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:23   #20
Crazy KD
Senior Member
 
Crazy KD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lowcountry of SC
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by datnvan View Post
if u have an extra one, teach her with it and then let her borrow it until she can afford the same one or something similar. .
I used to think this and let a family member borrow a Glock after his house got broken into. Guess what.....they broke into his house a second time and promptly stole my gun. It was the only thing of value that was stolen the second time. I'm still bothered that my handgun is out there potentially being used to commit crimes.

After that I don't let people borrow my guns.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 603
139 Members
464 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31