GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:37   #1
poodleshooter1

What if they approach while you are holding them at gunpoint?

Let's say you had legal justification to shoot and drew, perhaps because they were approaching with a knife or bat in hand. When you drew your gun they dropped their weapon and stopped advancing. Now you're not able to shoot and are holding them at gunpoint (who would hoster at this point lol).

Let's say the start talking to you and are approaching slowly step by step. If you can, try to create distance and put an object between you and them, sure. But whether you can or can't create distance and place an object between you, do you have legal justification to shoot if they disobey commands to stop advancing, etc. or do you actually have to get to the point where they are two feet from you and able to snatch your gun, and actually trying to snatch your gun?

What are the elements of such a situation?
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39   #2
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Say, Stop or I'll shoot. Then shoot.

The threat hasn't stopped.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 13:00   #3
txinvestigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post

And perhaps go to prison, depending on the circumstances.
Old 08-24-2011, 13:09   #4
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txinvestigator View Post
And perhaps go to prison, depending on the circumstances.
Some times it works that way.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 13:12   #5
GlockinNJ

Quote:
Better to be judged by 12....
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 00:44   #6
OldCurlyWolf

Quote:
And mostly it shouldn't when it does.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)
OldCurlyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 21:06   #7
SCmasterblaster

Quote:

Amen!
Old 11-25-2012, 15:54   #8
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Quote:

Basically this. The instant that, due to proximity and level of threat perceived you feel like your life and health are in danger you shoot. Actually, in Texas you are NOT required to warn the aggressor verbally. Your fear of death or grievous injury is your impetus to shoot.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:46   #9
MLittle

My recommendation to you would be to refer to the Laws and Statutes in your state to see what threats by another party would allow a person holding a legit concealed carry permit to use deadly force if you are speaking about a threat outside your home or vehicle.

For me, I would need to feel that I, or my family was in immediate and unavoidable danger and or threat of bodily injury or death before I would discharge my weapon.
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:55   #10
poodleshooter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
My recommendation to you would be to refer to the Laws and Statutes in your state to see what threats by another party would allow a person holding a legit concealed carry permit to use deadly force if you are speaking about a threat outside your home or vehicle.

For me, I would need to feel that I, or my family was in immediate and unavoidable danger and or threat of bodily injury or death before I would discharge my weapon.
Ayoob states that if attacked by multiple unarmed people, and you shoot two of them leaving one of them, you have the right to use lethal force because that person has proved an intent and capability to cause grave bodily injury or death. I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of it.

In my state (WA), you are allowed to use deadly force to stop any felony committed upon your person. Robbery, kidnapping, or felony assault, etc.

So it stands to reason that if someone (one person)was armed with a knife and trying to assault me, that would be a felony, they have shown an intent to commit grave bodily inury or death. They are present and capable. If they drop it and eventually start advancing, it stands to reason they still intend to commit a felony upon me and are not walking up to shake my hand.

Last edited by poodleshooter1; 08-24-2011 at 12:56..
Old 08-24-2011, 13:02   #11
txinvestigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodleshooter1 View Post
Ayoob states that if attacked by multiple unarmed people, and you shoot two of them leaving one of them, you have the right to use lethal force because that person has proved an intent and capability to cause grave bodily injury or death. I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of it.

In my state (WA), you are allowed to use deadly force to stop any felony committed upon your person. Robbery, kidnapping, or felony assault, etc.

So it stands to reason that if someone (one person)was armed with a knife and trying to assault me, that would be a felony, they have shown an intent to commit grave bodily inury or death. They are present and capable. If they drop it and eventually start advancing, it stands to reason they still intend to commit a felony upon me and are not walking up to shake my hand.
You are seriously simplifying Ayoobs statements, and I believe slighty mi-stating them.

Depending on the laws of your state, your last paragraph might or might not give justification.
Old 08-24-2011, 14:38   #12
poodleshooter1

Quote:
You are seriously simplifying Ayoobs statements, and I believe slighty mi-stating them.

Depending on the laws of your state, your last paragraph might or might not give justification.
No, I'm not. He clearly stated in his book such a circumstance where multiple unarmed people attack, you shoot two of them, one is left standing. What do you do? His answer was pretty clear. Don't make me get the book out and type out what it says....
Old 08-26-2011, 20:09   #13
Bogey
CLM Number 242
The Mouth®

Send a message via Yahoo to Bogey

Quote:

Laws in our State are written so ambiguously that ANY attempt at self defense is a crap shoot. Fortunately, I can't think of one self defense shoot that's been prosecuted in years. (ending ia a conviction) Something to do with the victim being able to articulate that they were in fear of great bodily harm, and the fact that the law says "any reasonable person" would fear for their lives. (paraphrased)

The biggest key here is "reasonable person".

Last edited by Bogey; 08-26-2011 at 20:40..
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50   #14
Adjuster

Shoot
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:52   #15
John Rambo
Raven

Huh? They dropped the knife after I shot them.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 17:32   #16
WSMBUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Huh? They dropped the knife after I shot them.
Yep knife fell when the 10mm bullet went through him,,,The End
WSMBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 17:36   #17
GlockinNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMBUCK View Post
Yep knife fell when the 10mm bullet went through him,,,The End
Maybe you should switch to a SD round that expands better rather than punching little 10mm holes in them.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 18:49   #18
45gunner

Kentucky KRS 503.080

Hypothetical situation. Im a photographer walking in downtown louisville on the waterfront and im approached by one or two people and they want to steal my camera. They grab my camera and I struggle with them. I get punched or kicked and things start to escalate. Its dark. I don't know if they have a weapon on them or not. I pull a weapon a shot one or both them.

Under krs 503.080 part b is this a justifiable shooting!

Last edited by 45gunner; 11-19-2012 at 20:24..
45gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 20:03   #19
TMNKWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45gunner View Post
Maybe someone in KY can respond to the specifics of your question, but I think the take-a-way from all these are the "shoot-don't shoot" scenarios everyone can come up with.

During my CCW class the instructor taught how important it is for every CCW student to spend the time thinking of these scenarios, creating a response and then find what the law might say. This creates the best way for a CCW permit holder to have the best knowledge base to be a responsible permit holder and still protect themselves and their family.

You’ll spend thousands and thousands of hours carrying a handgun to maybe use for a few seconds to save your life or property, shouldn’t you spend a few hours on doing the research to make sure you make the right choice when you need the weapon?

Last edited by TMNKWD; 11-19-2012 at 20:04.. Reason: I'm a dope and forgot to add a paragraph
TMNKWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45gunner View Post
Hypothetical situation. Im a photographer walking in downtown louisville on the waterfront and im approached by one or two people and they want to steal my camera. They grab my camera and I struggle with them. I get punched or kicked and things start to escalate. Its dark. I don't know if they have a weapon on them or not. I pull a weapon a shot one or both them.

No, but it is a justified shooting under KRS 503.050 (self-defense), because the crime is robbery in the second degree, which is a "felony involving the use of force."

Quote:
503.050 Use of physical force in self-protection --
(2) The use of deadly physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable under subsection (1) only when the defendant believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious physical injury, kidnapping, sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat, felony involving the use of force, or under those circumstances permitted pursuant to KRS 503.055.
To be justified under KRS 503.080, the robbery would have to be in your home.

This is a specific issue I address in law enforcement training, because it is legal to use deadly force, under state law, to stop things like a robbery 2nd and an assault 3rd (minor assault or a bus driver, school volunteer, police, etc.) but that would be a civil rights violation under federal law, if done by a government agent.

Last edited by Bren; 11-20-2012 at 11:04..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote