Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2012, 20:45   #1
tripp2953

Glock 20 Suppressor

Our property is having hog problems and it's getting worse.
When I hunt them with my un-suppressed Glock 20 the hogs scatter after the first few shots and don't come back for at least 1.5 hours.

I would like to build a hog-hunting Glock 20.
My plan is to build it in the following way:
1. 6 inch barrel (from Lone Wolf maybe)
2. Red dot sights
3. Suppressor built for a 10mm
4. 10 mm subsonic ammo

My problems are:
1. finding a 10mm barrel- haven't really found 10mm, 40 cal mostly
2. figuring what loads are really subsonic- is there a formula?

I would greatly appreciate any help. The more I research it the more confusing it gets.
Also, would a 40 cal Glock 23 be a good alternative? We already have one. I need real stopping power, though.
And I with to stay with Glocks.

Thanks, tripp2953
tripp2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

You should be able to buy a threaded 10mm barrel from Lone Wolf or KKM.

A .40 caliber suppressor would work as long as the manufacturer has rated it for 10mm. That's something you'd have to check with them about.

For subsonic loads, check any published reloading reference. Work up a load that is 1100 fps or slower. No magic to it.

If you're going to shoot subsonic ammo only, you wouldn't lose much by going to a .40, other that you could shoot heavier bullets with the 10.

My other recommendation is that if you're already looking at a Glock 20 with a 6" barrel, another 6" of suppressor on the end, and a red dot sight, you might as well look at an SBR on the AR-15 platform chambered in something like .300 Fireball/Whisper/Blackout. You'll be able to shoot heavier bullets (240gr .30 caliber) and it will be a lot easier to make hits with as a "long gun"; however, it won't be that much larger than your Glock 20 with all the stuff on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 19:04   #3
tripp2953

Thanks for the info.
I had not considered a SBR previously, but I almost fell out of me seat when I checked on the prices ($2000 + extras)!

I am leaning towards my Glock 23-40 cal but I don't think it is heavy enough to put a hog down.
As much as I want to get rid of them, I don't want them to suffer. One shot (maybe two) one kill kind of thing.
Do you think 40 cal will do the trick?
My biggest concern is them scattering and not coming back for a long time.

Any ideas for an alternate sighting system?
I don't want to walk around the woods with a big Terminator-style weapon, I just need tog get as many of them off my property as possible.
I may be mistaken, but I think most regular sights won't see over the suppressor.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-13-2012, 23:13   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

You should be able to get an AR-15 SBR set up for about half that amount.

I think .40 would work OK -- or at least as good as the 10mm -- if you are limiting yourself to subsonic and pick good, heavy bullets.

For an optic, something like a DrSight or JPoint would be a good choice.

Let me offer you some alternatives, though, if your goal is to kill a bunch of hogs. A suppressed rifle (non SBR), shooting either subsonic or supersonic ammunition, will probably be a lot more effective. One, you can shoot them from further away, and the report (even suppressed will be totally undetectable). You could even use full power ammunition if you were 40-100 yards away (or further). Some of the options include .308, or pistol calibers, etc. This would allow precision and accuracy you can't get with the pistol, definitely more oomph on impact, and the ability to basically drop them as fast as you can get a good sight picture, with almost not chance of detection.

Old 02-14-2012, 17:10   #5
tripp2953

You have given me a totally new option to consider.
I am beginning to “know what I don’t know”.

Since I already have a .40 can you tell me some heavy subsonic bullets to look at and maybe some low-to-mid priced suppressors for a Glock 23 .40?

I like the idea of a suppressed rifle but I think it will be costly.
Still, being able to shoot from waaay away would be awesome.
So I get an AR 15 chambered for .308…
I can shoot subsonic ammo from 40+ yards away and the hogs won’t scatter?
I understand the part about getting a suppressor and using full power ammo.
Would the optics you mentioned for the Glock 23 .40 cal work for an AR?
Any AR/sight/ammo/suppressor combo you can point me to?

Thanks again for your help. I thought this was going to be an easy question!
Old 02-14-2012, 20:08   #6
Zak Smith
3Gunner

You can load anything to subsonic velocities. The 180's and 200's would be a natural fit to the application though.

You could get an AR-10 style in .308, or you could use a cheaper bolt gun.

The only issue for spooking them might be the response of the one you just shot.

Even a supersonic full power load will be have minimal report they could hear if you're shooting them from 100 yards away with a rifle.

For an AR-15/10 or rifle, you'd want some type of rifle optic. Check out this article for some applications

GATE NFA/Class III
article | Fighting Carbine Optics GATE NFA/Class III

The possibilities are just about endless. If you want to shoot them with a rifle, really pick the rifle and cartridge you want to kill them with and then get an appropriate suppressor for it.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:34   #7
tripp2953

Thanks for all the info.
I will re-read everything and decide.
You know, I forgot to mention that I really enjoy the "spot and stalk" part of hog hunting. I like being closer to what I kill and watching them drop.
I have a feeling I will start out with the Glock and work my way up to an AR15.
I dunno. You gave me a lot of new ideas.
Thanks again for all your help.
We'll talk again.