SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2012, 16:31   #1
Bren
NRA Life Member

Army general is military's first openly gay flag officer

This is not really a political issue, or an Army issue - more of a social issue thing I guess, so I'm going to try GNG as a forum for it.

The interesting thing isn't that they made her a general and let her "wife" pin on her stars - that would be in keeping with Army policy . . . if you could make general in your first year.

The interesting part is, she has been in the Army for 26 years. More than 19 years ago, she had to state in writing that she was not a homosexual in order to join and I believe she may have had to lie about it again on her security clearance documents throughout the years. Even during Don't Ask Don't Tell, she was in violation for actually having a girlfriend/wife/whatever she calls her. DADT only stopped them from asking, it remained a UCMJ violation to have sex with a person of the same sex.

So that decided to ignore violations o fthe past - but does that wipe out an entire career of lying to the Army and violating regulations, to make her a general?

If she was straight and had a DUI as a captain, she probably wouldn't even be in the Army right now.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:36   #2
Kilrain
Señor Member

Being that she's a gay flag officer, does her car have little rainbow flags on the front fenders when she's driven around?

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 21:11   #3
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
Being that she's a gay flag officer, does her car have little rainbow flags on the front fenders when she's driven around?

I still find it repulsive but I guess America has changed over the years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 21:28   #4
Ummagumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I still find it repulsive but I guess America has changed over the years.
It's ever changing.

I find a lot of things "normal" people do repulsive. I am sure a lot of what goes on among gay people would gross me out, too. But ultimately, it's their life. As long as they don't hurt anyone, as long as they don't force me to live by their standards, as long as they make an attempt to live by the general rules of civil society, they should be free to do as they please in their private lives.
Ummagumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:36   #5
Ummagumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
This is not really a political issue, or an Army issue - more of a social issue thing I guess, so I'm going to try GNG as a forum for it.

The interesting thing isn't that they made her a general and let her "wife" pin on her stars - that would be in keeping with Army policy . . . if you could make general in your first year.

The interesting part is, she has been in the Army for 26 years. More than 19 years ago, she had to state in writing that she was not a homosexual in order to join and I believe she may have had to lie about it again on her security clearance documents throughout the years. Even during Don't Ask Don't Tell, she was in violation for actually having a girlfriend/wife/whatever she calls her. DADT only stopped them from asking, it remained a UCMJ violation to have sex with a person of the same sex.

So that decided to ignore violations o fthe past - but does that wipe out an entire career of lying to the Army and violating regulations, to make her a general?

If she was straight and had a DUI as a captain, she probably wouldn't even be in the Army right now.
It's not like she's lied about her qualifications or having a prior criminal record. She lied under a policy of discrimination that 40 years from now would appear no different than "No colored people" policies do now. She shouldn't have been put in this situation in the first place.
Old 08-11-2012, 17:33   #6
Caver 60

I know of at least three full bull Colonels who received UCMJ punishment for adultery. One case happened within the last year or so. I don't see any reason she should be given an exemption for her violations. I'm on Bren's side on this one.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:49   #7
Ummagumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
I know of at least three full bull Colonels who received UCMJ punishment for adultery. One case happened within the last year or so. I don't see any reason she should be given an exemption for her violations. I'm on Bren's side on this one.
What's the UCMJ definition of adultery ? Seriously, I've got no idea. Were they married and fooling around ? Or were they unmarried and had a girlfriend ?

Are all UCMJ personnel prohibited by having a relationship with other UCMJ personnel, even if neither is married ?
Old 08-11-2012, 18:53   #8
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

Anyone surprised? Really??
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 16:07   #9
engineer151515

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy129 View Post
Anyone surprised? Really??

In an age when Nobel Prizes are handed out for doing absolutely nothing, no. I am not.
Old 08-11-2012, 19:01   #10
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Right on the money, Bren.

Just more proof we are in the time of what is right is wrong and what is wrong is right.

Fact: A lying CIC or a lying general, whats the difference? No agency is enforcing the law on criminals and the american people have no power over their leaders to do so anymore.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16   #11
ubimow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
It's not like she's lied about her qualifications or having a prior criminal record. She lied under a policy of discrimination that 40 years from now would appear no different than "No colored people" policies do now. She shouldn't have been put in this situation in the first place.
Old 08-11-2012, 18:25   #12
Restless28

What would McArthur, Patton, Bradley, Nimitz, Sgt. York and Audie Murphy think of this crap?
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:29   #13
kiole

How would you feel if she was Jewish and there was a policy against Jews serving? Then years later the discriminative policy was eliminated. Would you think her hiding her religion was justified?
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53   #14
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
How would you feel if she was Jewish and there was a policy against Jews serving? Then years later the discriminative policy was eliminated. Would you think her hiding her religion was justified?
Why try to make a correlation between one's ethnicity or faith to one's actions? It is a FALSE. Stop it!

I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23   #15
kiole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
Why try to make a correlation between one's ethnicity or faith to one's actions? It is a FALSE. Stop it!
I believe being gay is a genetic or psychological trait not a choice. Sexual orientation should be a protected class which prevents discrimination. The rules were unjust thE same as if you weren't allowed to serve based on race or faith.

I am attracted to women and don't find men attractive. I've never consciously told myself to like women so I assume the same occurs for those who are gay but towardS thE same sex.

If your in the camp of its a voluntary action to be gay, then the same is true with religion. One chooses their faith and decides to continue practicing their faith. My comparison is perfectly valid if you believe sexual orientation is a action of choice.

Last edited by kiole; 08-12-2012 at 11:25..
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:59   #16
davew83
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Send a message via AIM to davew83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
What would McArthur, Patton, Bradley, Nimitz, Sgt. York and Audie Murphy think of this crap?
Probably would worry more about the work they do than who they sleep with.
Duke of Marlborough
davew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:52   #17
boby

Quote:
Who cares what a bunch of dead guys think?
boby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:53   #18
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boby View Post
Who cares what a bunch of dead guys think?

Half his posts are troll posts, don't mind him.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:58   #19
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Half his posts are troll posts, don't mind him.
I think I have told you once before. If you have a beef with me, PM me. Don't be a punk and do it on the forum, but, if you do, I understand, as that's your style.

Last edited by Restless28; 08-11-2012 at 21:19..
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51   #20
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
I think I have told you once before. If you have a beef with me, PM me. Don't be a punk and do it on the forum, but, if you do, I understand, as that's your style.
If I had a nickel for every time... (My family would be out of debt! )
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 08-12-2012 at 05:51..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote