Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:45   #1
cajun_chooter

good/reasonable digital caliper ?

anyone have a lead on a good/reasonable 6" digital caliper ? i have one now.. but everytime i go to use it the battery is dead... so i am looking to buy a new one..

Last edited by cajun_chooter; 09-30-2012 at 12:46..
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:58   #2
John43

Just buy a good grade dial caliper, Starrett or Mitutoya.
John43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:11   #3
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

Solar powered never needs batteries...here is a start many models are available

[URL="

fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:15   #4
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by John43 View Post
This, or even a Vernier if you have the eyes for it (they can be difficult to read if your vision isn't very good) .

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:06   #5
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_chooter View Post
anyone have a lead on a good/reasonable 6" digital caliper ? i have one now.. but everytime i go to use it the battery is dead... so i am looking to buy a new one..
I've used a Harbor freight 6 inch digital cost me $12 on sale and have changed the battery once in 3 years. I always have a spare in the drawer as I do for any and all my consumer electronics products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John43 View Post
For standard pistol reloading the expense is overkill... I have them all in my aviation toolboxes and though vernier calipers do have the advantage of not needing batteries. The fudged factor is actually greater. Much easier and faster to read a digital, if you not actually reading off the ogive of the bullet it doesn't matter being up to 0.003 for pistol.

If you paying to have
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57   #6
RWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I've used a Harbor freight 6 inch digital cost me $12 on sale and have changed the battery once in 3 years.

Same here, but I only got 2 years on first battery.

Look at all the brands offered, the one I bought at HF is the exact same as many out there - the exception is color and price. Natchez has the RCBS on sale for $63 - excat same as HF, but I paid $10

Use the HF caliper for all reloading chores, including long range rifle. See no reason to replace it at the moment.

Just buy the one that makes you happy!
RWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 16:14   #7
Colorado4Wheel

Nothing wrong with Harbour Freight Digital. Just keep extra batteries on hand.
Old 10-01-2012, 18:01   #8
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Nothing wrong with Harbour Freight Digital. Just keep extra batteries on hand.
Bull.

Bought two this year for my son. He needed them for an engineering class in high school. The six inch will not return to zero when closed. You need to manually zero each time. And both of them can vary each measurement. He has to measure three times and take an average. He only needs them for a few of the assignments so he is making due. Other kids had the same problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 18:08   #9
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Bull.

Bought two this year for my son. He needed them for an engineering class in high school. The six inch will not return to zero when closed. You need to manually zero each time. And both of them can vary each measurement. He has to measure three times and take an average. He only needs them for a few of the assignments so he is making due. Other kids had the same problem.
Maybe mine is older - from back in the days when the Chinese built calipers that hold a zero.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:26   #10
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Maybe mine is older - from back in the days when the Chinese built calipers that hold a zero.
The new ones they sell suck. They were even covered with grit from being made. It took a lot of cleaning to get the grit out without dismantling them. The teacher had not had problems in the past but this year we got burned.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 10-01-2012 at 18:27..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:46   #11
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Bull.

I haven't been thrilled with the two I bought. I thought they would be a little handier than the dial calipers I have had for many years. I have the same issue with zero and just plain wrong measurements. Sure, they're only off 0.001" or so, but it's still wrong.

For OAL, no problem. A thousandth here or there simply doesn't matter. The bullets aren't that accurate.

But, for precision rifle and dealing with neck size, neck size bushing diameter, bullet diameter, etc., the inexpensive digitals aren't the way to go.

I finally broke down and bought some very nice micrometers. But this is a specialized application. For pistol loading I image they are fine.

Unfortunately, the digitals are buried in my toolbox and I'm back to using my dial calipers.

Richard
Old 09-30-2012, 18:03   #12
FLSlim

I have a Frankford that had the same issue with batteries. Some months ago, I got a Kobalt (all metal) at Lowes and it has been great.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:11   #13
alank2

Hi,

The one they run on sale at Midway or Harbor Freight has never failed me. Usually it blinks the display for a long time when the battery is low while it still works. I think you can buy a card of 24 batteries for it for $4 at HF too.

Good luck,

Alan
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 18:30   #14
dkf

A caliper is worth spending the extra money on IMO. I have 4 electronic Mitutoyo calipers from 4"-12" and they are well worth the money. My favorite is the Absolute Coolant Proof IP67 calipers. They automatically turn off after a few minutes to save the battery so they last for years even with every day use.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 19:06   #15
njl

Get spare batteries and a 6" dial caliper from Harbor Freight for when all your batteries are dead.
Old 09-30-2012, 19:36   #16
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I have a set of 12in digital's from HF, and a pair of 12in dial calipers that I tossed on an order from Midway one time, because they were on sale.

I like them both. Both are accurate, easy to read, and weren't expensive at all (I think when they are not on sale, the dial calipers from Midway would run about 35, where I got them for less than half that).

The digital calipers (6 or 12) will do you just fine.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:33   #17
ADK_40GLKr

Do most digital calipers measure to .01 like mine, or .001?
Luke 22:36 He said to them, “... if you don’t have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:36   #18
dkf

The resoloution on all mine are .0005" however a 6" is really only accurate to +-.001" at best. Some companies even make electronic calipers that can be switched to different measurements, like fractional.

Last edited by dkf; 10-01-2012 at 17:37..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:51   #19
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
The resoloution on all mine are .0005" however a 6" is really only accurate to +-.001" at best. Some companies even make electronic calipers that can be switched to different measurements, like fractional.
My $15 Harbor Freight digital is .0005 resolution - 3 full digits to the right of the decimal point and a small sub-5 digit and can be switched between inches and millimeters.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:54   #20
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr View Post
Do most digital calipers measure to .01 like mine, or .001?
Can't believe that - sure you're not switched to mm?
Old 10-01-2012, 18:17   #21
TheExplorer

I use the HF one as well. Three years on original battery. I even test it every so often and it's still spot on.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:32   #22
Colorado4Wheel

For the record my Harbour Freight are accurate and work fine. If they didn't K would return them not keep them. I don't understand why people keep something they think sucks.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16   #23
Kentguy

cajun_chooter,

I guess you'd start with Starrett pretty much top of the line IMO anyway, made in the USA but they are not cheap! A 6" stainless steel dial caliper will set you back $120 (give or take)... No batteries needed... ever! Their are a lot of high end calipers but I think that kind of money is unnecessary for our purposes.

From there you can pick up an RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, frankfort arsenal, Craftsman or Fowler all of these are around $50 to $25.

Harbor freight offers a pretty good selection of dial & digital calibers for under $20. It pretty much depends on your pocket book and tolerance for changing batteries and perhaps quality becomes an issue at this range. Although they do offer some very inexpensive 6" calipers that work very well - "Cen-Tech" comes to mind.

Stay with the 6", this will handle most anything you will run into.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31   #24
Colorado4Wheel

Seating dies are only accurate in about a .003 range. Dial calipers pretty much measure AOL. It's hardly worth spending a ton of money for that. I would buy a better micrometer and save money on the dial calipers. But frankly measuring to. 001" is normally a waste of time. When I have done it I have brought it over to a machinist friend. He rolls his eyes because he knows for reloading its pretty much a waste of time. But it does generate some epic threads.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49   #25
Rinspeed
JAFO

I use a ruler .

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote