Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:46   #1
philpac33

OEM guide rod

Has anyone had any problems with their factory plastic guide rods? I got my first Glock about 4 years ago, have added 2 more since then, and haven't had any issues personally; then again, my round counts are measured in several hundreds- not several thousands. I don't see it necessary to switch to stainless steel or tungsten to control muzzle flip or reduce felt recoil as advertised but if the plastic rod will end up failing as my round counts start getting into thousands, I may as well upgrade before it fails. Do these plastic factory guide rods hold up?
philpac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29   #2
DannyR

If re-installed correctly, they last a long, long time. I once put 74,000 rounds on a factory G19 recoil spring assembly.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06   #3
KenInColorado

I've got thousands of rounds on my G22's stock recoil spring with the plastic guide rod. Nothing to worry about.
KenInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:25   #4
jbglock

In a Glock they will last longer than most shooters will shoot the gun in a lifetime. The only reason I'd use aftermarket is if you had a need for a lighter or stronger spring.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:56   #5
philpac33

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought. In the past I've ran my Glocks stock with the exception of some type of tritium night sights and minor grip mods. Flipping through some of the aftermarket parts/accessories catalogs and websites, I see them marketing an "upgrade" to each and every internal & external part of the firearm. I just added a new 19 to the stable and that has me making a list of modifications I need to do to meet my tastes and needs for EDC and possibly dip my toes into something like IDPA. I'm keeping it pretty vanilla for now- tritium front, plain serrated rear, 4.5# connector, Lightning Strike safety plunger, extended mag & slide releases. After that, an undercut to the trigger guard should be the final touch. A stainless or tungsten guide rod will NOT be on the menu. Thanks again guys.
philpac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58   #6
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpac33 View Post
I'm keeping it pretty vanilla for now- tritium front, plain serrated rear, 4.5# connector, Lightning Strike safety plunger, extended mag & slide releases. After that, an undercut to the trigger guard should be the final touch.

Other than that it's all stock huh?

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote