GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:02   #1
DOC44

Is Supreme Court set to end use of race in admissions?

Is Supreme Court set to end use of race in admissions?

Quote:
Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday is set to hear arguments on whether colleges and universities can continue to favor minority candidates in admissions policies. Given that the court in 2003 approved such policies, its decision to take up the issue again suggests it may be looking to cut back on affirmative action.

The case before the court was brought by Abigail Fisher, a white woman who says the University of Texas denied her admission because of her race, in violation of the U.S. Constitution's equal protection guarantee. The university says it must consider race as a factor in admissions, or minorities will be underrepresented on its campuses.
Affirmative action on the block or at least one arm of it.... but as Johnny sang, "Got it One piece at a Time".

Wonder if Al, Jessie and 'shell will be marching on the court.

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-...051130562.html

Doc44
Old 10-09-2012, 05:12   #2
JFrame

One can only hope...The practice of giving preferential treatment to "selected" people is a racist abomination.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:08   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

I could see it being time for a decision that mentions that racial preferences may have outlived their usefulness in a country with a black president, where a black man can be elected mayor of the nation's capitol, right out of prison.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30   #4
callihan_44
INFIDEL

its time to end this nonsense, hire the best qualified people for the job no matter what color
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33   #5
pugman

"The university says it must consider race as a factor in admissions, or minorities will be underrepresented on its campuses"

At some point, this has to die.

I started college in 1987; my roommate's friend (who was black had a full ride academic scholarship) graduated high school with a 2.2 gpa (this is when UW would admit grades this low). He finished school and proverbally graduated based on the results of the last final of his last class.

He was immediately picked up by the M&I Bank Management Trainee program which back in the early 90's was extremely lucrative. The program all but told him the only reason they selected him was because was black.

My BIL is black. His mom is one of the associate principals at a school in the Milwaukee area. She is the principal you don't want to be sent to.

She tells me she is shocked how many students still come to her and tell her how teachers unfairly treat them because of their race - the fact they attend school half the time has nothing to do with it.

She is brutally honest when she tells students they are fools. African American students who show the smallest amount of geniune initiative have a very good chance of succeeding as the system still provides them with a financial advantage. She openly admits when she reviews grants the system doesn't always provide money to better students. This isn't your local KoC or VFW chapter who is free to give their funds to whomever they want-this is federal money.

But this sort of discrimination goes both ways - wasn't it California's public school system which recently had to lower admission standards to allow more domestic students to attend their schools over foreign students?

Callihan hit the nail on the head - best person for the job...period.

Last edited by pugman; 10-09-2012 at 07:35..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10   #6
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by callihan_44 View Post

its time to end this nonsense, hire the best qualified people for the job no matter what color

Lesser qualified people don't think that's such a good idea.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58   #7
maxsnafu

The only way colleges will stop using race as a factor is at gunpoint.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54   #8
countrygun

In less than one month this Country is going to vote, en masse, on whether or not Affirmative Action has been a success. It will be hard to defend the principle when it has failed at the highest level possible.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:35   #9
KG1F

Never happen, minoritys could never compete on a level playing field.
Old 10-09-2012, 17:19   #10
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG1F View Post

I would caution against making sweeping generalities. I will wager that Lt. Col. West accomplished what he did, and got to where he is, on the most level of playing fields.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37   #11
maxsnafu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
I would caution against making sweeping generalities. I will wager that Lt. Col. West accomplished what he did, and got to where he is, on the most level of playing fields.

OK, let's put it this way: On average, Whites are going to outperform Blacks academically because on average the White IQ is 15 points--one full standard deviation--above Blacks, a fact that was noted in 1917 when military conscripts were given IQ tests during World War I.
Old 10-09-2012, 18:25   #12
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG1F View Post
Bull. I never marked the "Native American/Indian" box in my life and I've done very well.

I know several successful people of all walks of life.

The only thing that holds people back is believing the crud told them by the liberals to keep them "in the fold".
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote