Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 17:15   #1
bfsmith7

Bad printing when I sit. Solutions?

I am currently carrying a G26 with +2 extension in a Raven Concealment Systems holster (IWB). When my only cover garment is a T-shirt (which works great while I'm standing), if lean forward at all while sitting (for example to lean over the table to eat) the butt of the gun sticks out way past my back and prints very badly. Anyone have any suggestions without changing holsters/guns? For a little more context: I am 5'8 170, slim/muscular build.

Thanks!
bfsmith7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:55   #2
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Depending on your state law, don't worry about it.
Old 11-14-2012, 18:08   #3
fastbolt

You're not going to want to hear it ... but wear a proper cover garment.

I've met and listened to all manner of folks who like to think that they can effectively conceal most handguns under a T-shirt. However, standing straight and carefully posed in front of a mirror doesn't really simulate most normal activities, postures and motions we engage in during our normal lives.

Even a button-type shirt, worn untucked, can often be worn in such a way (size, cut and nature of material used) that it fails to effectively conceal a holstered pistol under many conditions, activities and bodily movements.

Some folks might have more luck than others, depending on how they prefer their clothing to fit, the styles/cuts of clothing they choose, their daily activities and how well their chosen carry methods work with their body shape/composition.

I remember the first time I saw one of our guys wearing a G26 in a IWB/tuckable type holster, underneath a tucked T-shirt. He was standing in line at a credit union. I was standing a few feet behind him, off to one side, and I could clearly the outline of his concealed Glock subcompact, and could tell he was using a magazine with a curved extension. The texture of the grip frame was even discernible underneath the shirt material.

Over the years I've usually found that it's not all that difficult to spot plainclothes cops (wearing untucked & loose shirts) who are armed with a belt-holstered weapon at training classes, conferences, seminars & meetings. Some apparently aren't concerned whether they're effectively concealing their weapons (especially if they're among mostly other cops), and some actually seem to think their weapons are really effectively concealed.

FWIW, lawfully concealing a handgun usually involves some adjustment for most of us, to some extent, when it comes to everyday actions, activities, motions, postures, etc.

Leaning, bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling and other motions may require a minor adjustment in order to continue to conceal a belt-holstered weapon. Think of it as a lifestyle adjustment, of sorts.

BTW, have you at least tried reaching with the arm & hand on the non-gun side? Simple things ...
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 11-14-2012 at 18:11..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:11   #4
ditto1958

Don't sit down?
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:12   #5
Bruce M

As usual Fastbolt has some great thoughts on the problem. I have three, but no where near as good. Use the ten round magazine, try a bigger and longer t shirt and try moving the pistol a bit more forward.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:35   #6
Agent6-3/8

The truth of the matter is that unless you're wearing a jacket or some sort of hoodie/sweat shirt there isn't much that's not going to print at some point under normal movements. The good news is that the general public are too unobservant to notice.

I hate to recommend a new holster, but perhaps what you're using now just doesn't work for your body type.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-14-2012, 19:42   #7
ChicagoZman

Using a standard magazine will help immensely, as will wearing a heavier fabric shirt or other appropriate cover garment.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:44   #8
xcaliburelite

The color of the t shirt matters a lot when it comes to effective concealing a weapon under it. The darker the color, the better it will 'hide' any profile that the weapon might produce. I carry a G26 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe, and only wear dark polo's and t shirts with it. It's a simple thing that goes a long way. Wear a dark shirt and have someone look at you and tell you if you are profiling in different positions.
Old 11-14-2012, 20:03   #9
CitizenOfDreams

My solution to that problem is the increased forward cant (modified Crossbreed Supertuck holster). And looser shirts. And less worrying about printing.

Carry Issues
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56   #10
chrisw670

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
My solution to that problem is the increased forward cant (modified Crossbreed Supertuck holster). And looser shirts. And less worrying about printing.

Carry Issues
That's pretty much what I did and it help a good deal. There are still T shirts I have that don't do as well others though. It's nice that it's getting colder out now. A light jacket or a pull over is a great thing.
chrisw670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16   #11
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw670 View Post
It's nice that it's getting colder out now. A light jacket or a pull over is a great thing.
Yep, a jacket makes concealment easy and foolproof. But we can only wear jackets once or twice a year here in FL.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47   #12
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

I guess my first thought is: Why carry a G26 if you're gonna use 2X extensions? The 26 is made for concealment but, IMO, you defeat the intent by adding that grip length. I'd get some GAP floorplates and use the 10rd mags.

Or just carry a G19 or other larger pistol.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 14:29   #13
Able 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
I guess my first thought is: Why carry a G26 if you're gonna use 2X extensions? The 26 is made for concealment but, IMO, you defeat the intent by adding that grip length. I'd get some GAP floorplates and use the 10rd mags.

Some folks shoot a 26 better than a 19/17. Two more bullets if needed = better. Body type dependant so barrel is not poking ya in the hip. Just to name a few reasons.

As to the OP, adjust cant and get a larger/better cover garment.

be safe out there
Able 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 14:34   #14
bfsmith7

Quote:

That seems to be the opinion of a lot of people on the matter, but if you actually compare side-by-side a G19 with standard mag and a G26 with the +2, you'll find that there is a significant difference in size. So for the person who wants something smaller than the 19, but wants somewhere to put their pinky or wants a few more rounds, the G26 with +2 can be a nice compromise.
That being said, I think using a standard mag, as many have suggested, would help my problem immensely. I'm just not sure if I feel comfortable with gripping the gun without somewhere for my pinky. Gonna have to do a little more shooting and handling with the standard mag in.
And to those who say not to worry about it, I'm really not worried about a little printing, but it was BAD. I adjusted the holster for a little more cant and that helped but it was still very noticeable.
Also, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I wish I could move it further forward but I'm a pretty thin guy, and any further forward would make the back of the slide stick out in front of my stomach.
bfsmith7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:20   #15
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsmith7 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions without changing holsters/guns?

Thanks!
Stop worrying about it.
Old 11-14-2012, 20:26   #16
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Wear the gun in front of your hip and use a standard magazine.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 11-14-2012 at 20:26..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04   #17
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Wear the gun in front of your hip and use a standard magazine.

Regards,
Happyguy
Agreed!
Old 11-14-2012, 20:50   #18
FLglockdude

Unless your wearing a size schmedium shirt, I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. One of the hardest things when you carry is to realize that everybody is not going to notice the little bump under your shirt. Everybody keeps their cell phones on their belt now, the sheep are accustomed to that kind of stuff. There's no way you will print bad enough carrying a G26 to make somebody think gun if you are wearing a loose fitting shirt.
FLglockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 21:12   #19
M24C

If you can change the cant of the holster for the but to stick up more. The will give less sticking out the back for the butt of the gun to show. Like the picture someone previously posted. Ravens normal cant is 10 degrees, you can buy it with a 15 degree can't or the FBI cant. I like mine with a 30 degree cant.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56   #20
xcaliburelite

Quote:
This is my exact set up. G26 In a Crossbreed Supertuck with a 10 round mag with a GAP floorplate. I carry a spare G17 mag in my pocket. It works really well for me.