Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2012, 17:44   #1
freedom790

Going to Korea!

Im going to osan korea in a few months. Anything I need to know that i'm not going to get in my pre-departure brief? Great places to visit? This will be my first time in pacaf.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44   #2
spcwes

Well there are tons of things to see in Korea but not sure I would call anything great. I did enjoy my time there. I was stationed at Camp Casey/Camp Hovey(spell check on hovey, not sure I remember) during my time and I did have a blast. We spend a lot of time "down range" at the bars and enjoying the night life. The food was fantastic and we had a little mom and pop korean cafe right down the street from our unit so we ate lots of roman.

Not sure of your age or how much you party but be careful while in and around the bars, always go with a couple people and beware of the kettles they will bite you in the ass. Soju is pretty easy to hide in fruity drinks and while I was there a 32oz kettle was $2-4 bucks depending on where you went and they were about half and half soju and mix and would kick the **** out of you quick.

Other than that, have fun and be careful.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29   #3
Ralff

Wear a condom.

Stay away from Songtan Sally.

DON'T develop feelings for a juicy. In fact, don't even buy them a drink.

Contrary to popular belief, the girls off base are "cleaner" than girls on base.

Don't break curfew or you'll be sorry.

Drink with people you trust. If you have a tendency to do stupid things when you drink, don't drink at all. It's ridiculously easy to lose stripes over there.

MUST DO: Tour the DMZ if you get the chance.

There is a ton of stuff to do over there. Make the most of it.

Oh, and wear a condom.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:15   #4
757CC

Korea is a lot of fun....but like most things it's what you make of it. The DMZ tour is a must. Seoul has a lot of fun activities to offer. Drinking and local food is great. Go easy with the Soju....my favorites were lemon or cherry.
757CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 00:19   #5
Jermzzzzzzz

Enjoy Seoul, get away from the bases and see the country. Stay away from Songtan Sally and the juicies. White dogs is the best soju drink!

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 11-20-2012, 00:20   #6
Jermzzzzzzz

Oh yeah best city to visit in the summer is Busan, whats your afsc?

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04   #7
freedom790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermzzzzzzz View Post
Oh yeah best city to visit in the summer is Busan, whats your afsc?

Sent from my DROIDX
I'm a 3p0. Been in nukes the past 8 years though. No LE or flight line experience.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24   #8
Jermzzzzzzz

Its a whole different world brother, I was 51st SFS from, 08 to 2010. I came from an LE/flight line base. I recommend you go back office ASAP. And have fun at CRC(Combat Readiness Course) which is really a week long hazing fest and pt. Watch out if you get underage troops right outta tech school, all they wanna do is go downtown n drink n act stupid. Msg me if ya need more details.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24   #9
405dave

I rode the"3 dollar bus" to Seoul every weekend I was able. Also take all the tours offered on base. Watch out for the beer factory tour, all you can drink in an hour sounds cool but its still 10 am and it can make for a long trip back to base.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:40   #10
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

I stopped in Busan once. Greatest port visit I had.

There's Max Draft, Cass, and Hite. All are like Bud/Miller/Coors. That's all you really need to know.
Old 11-22-2012, 22:03   #11
bunk22

I was the Executive Officer of Military Sealift Command Office Korea in Busan from July 09 to Jul 10. It was a non-flying tour for me but a great tour. I remember back in 1999, my first port visit in the Navy was Busan and I saw one place, Texas Street. The USS Constellation pulled into Pier 8, where my office was the MSCO command is. So when I got orders, I didn't have fond memories. Once you live in a place though, you learn the ins and outs. Busan is a great place.

However, you are in Osan, good shopping but not much to do. Great base though. If you get a chance, during the summer, go down to Hyundai Beach, go to Fuzzy Navel and all the bars in that area. Lots of ex-Pats, things to do. If you like Asian food, you are set and if like Asian women, even better! Seoul is a great place too but I didn't spend much time there. Remember, there are something like 10,000+ Ex pat teachers in Korea, most female. Good times for all

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote