Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:11   #1
ArrowJ

Standard Weight For 40 S&W Self Defense Round...

Is there a general consensus on the best wight for a self defense load in 40 S&W? Is there a weight that a Glock 22 shots better or is sighted in for with factory sights?
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 20:43   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

arrow, if there was a consensus, there wouldn't be a section in Glock Talk called Caliber Corner...

The single most common .40 load remains the 180 grain subsonic, normally carried in one of the premium brands with high tech bullets. A close second in popularity is the 165 grain at about 1140 foot-seconds. The "minus-P" 165 grain subsonic has not worked out well and has fallen into well-deserved oblivion. US Border Patrol had great luck with the 155 grain .40 at 1200 foot-seconds as a manstopper, but went to the 180 grain subsonic because (supposedly) it kicked less than the 155 grain hot loads and was easier on the guns.

Personally, full-speed 155-165 grain loads are my choice. But, as noted above, there is no consensus.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 18:39   #3
ArrowJ

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Consensus related to self defense calibers, what was I thinking! LOL

From what you are saying I may just go with a 357 Sig (my first choice). I was interested in loading the 40 S&W with 135 grain Nosler JHP in an attempt to duplicate the Double Tap load, but as the 135 grain projectile did not even get a mention perhaps I better stick with my first choice!

The 357 Sig was my first choice, but cheaper component prices, along with availability and a slightly less involved reloading process had me looking at the 40 S&W. I certainly am not interested in a 180 grain load, but I might be able to convince myself to go with the 155.

Thank you again for your time!
ArrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote