Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 14:38   #1
bigmoney890

Thoughts on surplus GI mags?

What are your guys thoughts on used surplus GI magazines? For those of you who don't like them, at what price would you consider buying some? And for those who love them, what do you usually pay for them?

Just bought a 3 pack for $20 at one of the copious local military surplus shops, and i figured at 7 bucks a piece including taxes, it can't hurt to stock up. Not a great deal, but better than spending twice as much online for new aluminum/steel mags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 15:02   #2
Leigh

I've used them for years and as long as the spring and follower are good the unit is GTG.

That said, I've had the best luck with C-Products brand (black teflon coated) at about $10 each. AIM Surplus has quality aluminum mags. Stay away from any AR magazine (metal or plastic) made by USA Brand/ProMag/Thermold as they are generally junk.

While I do own and use a number of Magpul Pmags, their torture-testing is pretty unrealisitc for those of us in a non-combat world.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 15:07   #3
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Stay away from any AR magazine (metal or plastic) made by USA Brand/ProMag/Thermold as they are generally junk.
I've heard this in the past few months, but the $200 for 50 mags from CDNN is just soooo tempting. So while on their site today ordering some Glock magazines, I added a thermold 20 round mag in my cart. Gonna take it to the range a few times and test it out. If it's gtg, ill buy the 50 pack, if it doesn't, I only wasted $4.96 on the one mag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-19-2012, 15:47   #4
K. Foster

Used USGI are fine. As long as they aren’t too used. Inspect the whole mag, spine, feed lips, base plate for dents or cracks. I run MagPul followers in all my USGI’s.
Old 11-19-2012, 15:55   #5
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
Used USGI are fine. As long as they arenít too used. Inspect the whole mag, spine, feed lips, base plate for dents or cracks. I run MagPul followers in all my USGIís.

Looking into followers right now, they all checked out fine at the store. Once I got home I checked all of them in my gun, all seated fine, dropped free, locked back when empty, and all of them feed fine. I'll probably order some magpul followers in a few weeks and continue to pick up a 3 pack every time I go into town.

Old 11-19-2012, 16:14   #6
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
Looking into followers right now, they all checked out fine at the store. Once I got home I checked all of them in my gun, all seated fine, dropped free, locked back when empty, and all of them feed fine. I'll probably order some magpul followers in a few weeks and continue to pick up a 3 pack every time I go into town.
I have had good luck with Brownells new production GI mags. This is the first 10/$99 pack I bought and installed Magpul followers on. TBH I have a slight distrust for used aluminum magazines. I never bought any, 5 I have gotten in trade deals over the years all have turned out to be trash. No NIW aluminum mag I bought has given me any problems whatsoever.
Black Rifle Forum
Old 11-19-2012, 16:19   #7
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
I have had good luck with Brownells new production GI mags. This is the first 10/$99 pack I bought and installed Magpul followers on. TBH I have a slight distrust for used aluminum magazines. I never bought any, 5 I have gotten in trade deals over the years all have turned out to be trash. No NIW aluminum mag I bought has given me any problems whatsoever.
Black Rifle Forum

At $10 ea. plus $2 per mag for magpul followers i'd rather just buy pmags.

But these mags will be just in case a ban goes into effect and for range use. For any classes I'll be using PMAGs, and my gun will be kept loaded with a PMAG for home defense as well

Old 11-19-2012, 16:35   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Avoid CProducts...........they went don hill flyer Larry C sold the company.
I REALLY like Colt 20 round mags. Mil-surp are good mags.
Brownells normal have some for around $11 each
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 16:53   #9
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Avoid CProducts...........they went don hill flyer Larry C sold the company.
My CP have been flawless (albiet 3-4 years old)...made somewhere in CT....who took over the company?
Old 11-19-2012, 17:00   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
My CP have been flawless (albiet 3-4 years old)...made somewhere in CT....who took over the company?
Larry sold about two years ago,........quality went to crap,
orders that were paid for were never filled, a general nightmare.
Search ARFcom or M4Carbie
Old 11-19-2012, 17:06   #11
Leigh

Quote:
Larry sold about two years ago,........quality went to crap,
orders that were paid for were never filled, a general nightmare.
Search ARFcom or M4Carbie
That sucks, I didn't know that. Thankfully, there are still some good aluminum GI makers out there.
Old 11-19-2012, 16:56   #12
Leigh

Also inspect the # of weld dimples on the spine....most quality 30-round aluminum mags have no less than proably 6/7 or so. More is probably better than less in this regard. Some Korean (I think) versions I've seen had as little as three (probably not good).
Old 11-19-2012, 17:01   #13
mjkeat

Nothing wrong w/ GIs. I still use some of the ones I found in a MRE case sitting in the garbage dumpster.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:05   #14
Leigh

Keep in mind, Colt-marked aluminum magazines are made by contractors such as Labelle and Circle-K (both good), to not so good such as Sanchez and Cooper Industries (and I'm sure maybe some others). Not bashing Colt at all, but they haven't made their own mags in many, many years.
Old 11-19-2012, 17:17   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Keep in mind, Colt-marked aluminum magazines are made by contractors such as Labelle and Circle-K (both good), to not so good such as Sanchez and Cooper Industries (and I'm sure maybe some others). Not bashing Colt at all, but they haven't made their own mags in many, many years.
Very true,......however, I've ever been let down by a straight twenty
rounder with an alloy follower.
Old 11-19-2012, 17:19   #16
Leigh

Quote:
Very true,......however, I've ever been let down by a straight twenty
rounder with an alloy follower.
Funny, faaw, I just posted about the exact same type of mag with no issues...Ha!
Old 11-19-2012, 17:17   #17
Leigh

All said, I have a 20-rounder from VN that has very little finish left, a silver metal follower and a 40+ year old spring that is still reliable. I guess everything is relative.
Old 11-19-2012, 17:23   #18
Leigh

I think we can all agree that quality AR mags (metal or synthetic) are out there and available for a reasonable price. I think $10-12 bucks for a quality GI mag magazine is still a bargain.

I don't know how many of you guys lived thru Clinton's AWB (Sept 94/Sept 2004) but prices were insane and I will NEVER be held hostage like that again!
Old 11-19-2012, 17:27   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
I don't know how many of you guys lived thru Clinton's AWB (Sept 94/Sept 2004) but prices were insane and I will NEVER be held hostage like that again!

I fired the M16 for the first time in 1985. Bought my 1st AR in
1989. Been there,.....dealt with that.
Old 11-19-2012, 17:39   #20
Leigh

Quote:

I fired the M16 for the first time in 1985. Bought my 1st AR in
1989. Been there,.....dealt with that.
M16 in '84 courtesy of some "polite gentlemen" on Parris Island, SC.

First AR in '91-92 when my LGS had ALL of 3 flavors; Colt, Bushmaster, and possibly Olympic Arms (?)

I went with a Colt "LW Sporter" for about $519 + Kentucky sales tax.

Wow. That said, I feel really old.