GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 23:17   #1
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Is prostitution really just capitalism?

Seems simple enough. People own their own bodies (but correct me if you believe the government actually owns us all) and people have a right to contract those bodies to do whatever kind of work they are comfortable doing.

I'm not talking about pimps and hos or forced sex trafficking or anything like that. There are obvious victims and other laws being broken. I'm talking about how the supposedly small-government right supports vice laws despite the fact that it clearly flies in the face of capitalism.

So it's OK to have sex with someone you meet, OK to take them out for dinner and a movie and whatever other offerings are needed to seal the deal but once you just take a cash for sex exchange it becomes criminal?
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:19   #2
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 14,934
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-03-2012 at 23:21..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:11   #3
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..
You really have problems with analogies don't you?

So having sex with someone is the same as bank robbery and murder. It's all good as long as nobody walks away with some money?
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:38   #4
aspartz
Senior Member
 
aspartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sandstone, MN 55072
Posts: 5,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..
In each of you examples, there is a direct victim. In the first the bank, in the second the dead guy.

Who's the victim in prostitution? If both parties are consenting adults there is no victim.

ARS
__________________
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." - Unknown
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force" - George Washington
aspartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:12   #5
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspartz View Post
In each of you examples, there is a direct victim. In the first the bank, in the second the dead guy.

Who's the victim in prostitution? If both parties are consenting adults there is no victim.

ARS
JB has made it clear that he is the only one allowed to give consent. If he doesn't consent to it then it should be verboten.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36   #6
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..
How is doing harm to somebody else by force the same as one person selling a service to another who wants to buy it? You sure say some goofy things.

OP, yes, prostitution is just capitalism. Like many other things, the primary reason it is illegal is that wives have a great deal of political power (remember prohibition) and don't care for the competition. Criminalizing prostitution is no more than a way to regulate competition, by those selling the service under long-term contract, who don't want to compete with those selling on a cash & carry basis.
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet, where you could pretend to be anything you want; so how come so many people on this forum pretend to be limpwristed sissies?
- Me, 2014.

Last edited by Bren; 12-04-2012 at 10:36..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42   #7
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Like many other things, the primary reason it is illegal is that wives have a great deal of political power (remember prohibition) and don't care for the competition. Criminalizing prostitution is no more than a way to regulate competition, by those selling the service under long-term contract, who don't want to compete with those selling on a cash & carry basis.
Wow. I never really thought about it that way but I think you're on to something there.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54   #8
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Wow. I never really thought about it that way but I think you're on to something there.
Really? You never heard, "why buy a cow if you can get the milk free?" Women have known that rule for centuries and, until recently, their life depended on what kind of man they could get. 80-100 years ago, it wasn't like today, when a single woman could get a job/career, house, etc. and it wasn't the rule to marry for love back then. A woman used the bargaining power she had and competition that was practically giving away a major part of it was not appreciated.

Our current attitudes about family are still based, in part, on ideals from before 1900, when wives traded sex and housekeeping for food and shelter and children were necessary as homemade farm hands.
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet, where you could pretend to be anything you want; so how come so many people on this forum pretend to be limpwristed sissies?
- Me, 2014.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:00   #9
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Really? You never heard, "why buy a cow if you can get the milk free?" Women have known that rule for centuries and, until recently, their life depended on what kind of man they could get. 80-100 years ago, it wasn't like today, when a single woman could get a job/career, house, etc. and it wasn't the rule to marry for love back then. A woman used the bargaining power she had and competition that was practically giving away a major part of it was not appreciated.

Our current attitudes about family are still based, in part, on ideals from before 1900, when wives traded sex and housekeeping for food and shelter and children were necessary as homemade farm hands.
Well sure, I've just never thought of the "wives as a political force against prostitution" angle. I understand just wanting to buy some damn milk instead of having to constantly deal with an entire cow. We all do that through our whole dating lives in one way or another but it's usually in the form of drinks, movies, dinners and gifts.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 18:59   #10
Andy123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC and GA
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Really? You never heard, "why buy a cow if you can get the milk free?" Women have known that rule for centuries and, until recently, their life depended on what kind of man they could get. 80-100 years ago, it wasn't like today, when a single woman could get a job/career, house, etc. and it wasn't the rule to marry for love back then. A woman used the bargaining power she had and competition that was practically giving away a major part of it was not appreciated.

Our current attitudes about family are still based, in part, on ideals from before 1900, when wives traded sex and housekeeping for food and shelter and children were necessary as homemade farm hands.
I take it that you are often accused of being a hopeless romantic
__________________
I can only hope, that in the end, the good outweighs the bad.

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 17:00   #11
smokin762
Senior Member
 
smokin762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
OP, yes, prostitution is just capitalism. Like many other things, the primary reason it is illegal is that wives have a great deal of political power (remember prohibition) and don't care for the competition. Criminalizing prostitution is no more than a way to regulate competition, by those selling the service under long-term contract, who don't want to compete with those selling on a cash & carry basis.
I have been saying something close to this for years.

I think prostitution is a victimless crime. Providing the woman is willing and clean.
__________________
NRA Life Member
CCW License Holder
My goal is to survive. Whatever the problem might be.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:19   #12
bobtheelf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..
Robbery is illegal.
Murder is illegal.
Are you saying sex is illegal?
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:13   #13
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..
Excellent points here.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:26   #14
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Excellent points here.
Except for the fact that murder has a victim, and robbing a bank has a victim, sometimes even multiple victims.

Consensual sex between adults, where one gives the other money in return? No victims. Ask the girls in the brothels in Nevada if they feel victimized.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:39   #15
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Except for the fact that murder has a victim, and robbing a bank has a victim, sometimes even multiple victims.

Consensual sex between adults, where one gives the other money in return? No victims. Ask the girls in the brothels in Nevada if they feel victimized.
Except when the guy has AIDS. He victimizes the ho.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:45   #16
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Except when the guy has AIDS. He victimizes the ho.
And that is exactly why we legalize prostitution and start regulating it. The girls get STD checks weekly, and the guys get STD checks every time they want to sleep with a girl. Only let the STD free guys sleep with the girls, and make sure the girls are always STD free.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13   #17
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Except for the fact that murder has a victim, and robbing a bank has a victim, sometimes even multiple victims.

Consensual sex between adults, where one gives the other money in return? No victims.
There's no victim only as long as they don't get married. And THAT is legal! Go figure...

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 21:44   #18
jlavallee
Senior Member
 
jlavallee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

..
Voluntary exchange between adults is no one else's business. That free will part is what the bible thumping clowns miss.
__________________
Someday, I may be found lying dead in a ditch somewhere, but Iíll be lying in a pile of brass.

Track bills in Congress and tell politicians your opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:30   #19
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 21,888
its legal as long as the state get their cut of the taxes..... regulated, reported income.....legal six counties in nevada have it.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 12-03-2012 at 23:30..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:49   #20
akroguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 691
When Walmart starts renting Ho's, it would then be safe to say it is now fully into the capitalistic domain.
__________________
G19, G17, G36, G21SF, M4, Mosins, M1, 1903A3's.

The Second Amendment: giving teeth to the remaining 26.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
akroguy is online now   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 920
274 Members
646 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31