Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 19:51   #1
collim1
Shower Time!

Accepatable accuracy with carry handle sights?

Rock River Arms A4 20" shooting Hornady Steel Training 55FMJ BTHP @ 100yds from a sandbag.

I was getting 4in groups. What would be considered good? I wasn't exactly happy with that.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:00   #2
bigmoney890

Good is a relative term, but i'd say good would be around 1.5 MOA which would equate to about 1.5" at 100yards. Maybe your gun just doesn't like that round? I've generally heard good things about RRA's accuracy. Maybe buy a could different boxes of all different types of bullet weights and manufacturers and see if you can get your group down some.

Let us know what you can get in down to!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:22   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Ammo
Sights
Shooter
Target

All play a part. 3" is rather normal with off the shelf ammo.
Most shooters will get 1-1.5" groups with a typical scope.
I'm not familiar with your skill set, but I would say your grouping
is on par for a new shooter.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 13:42   #4
Knighj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
ammo
sights
shooter
target

all play a part. 3" is rather normal with off the shelf ammo.
Most shooters will get 1-1.5" groups with a typical scope.
I'm not familiar with your skill set, but i would say your grouping
is on par for a new shooter
bawahahahahhaha
Knighj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 19:03   #5
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighj1 View Post
bawahahahahhaha
True, new shooters are unlikely to be capable of 4" groups at 100 yards with iron sites.

Many new shooters won't even be able to create a 'group'

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:46   #6
Magelk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
Good is a relative term, but i'd say good would be around 1.5 MOA which would equate to about 1.5" at 100yards. Maybe your gun just doesn't like that round? I've generally heard good things about RRA's accuracy. Maybe buy a could different boxes of all different types of bullet weights and manufacturers and see if you can get your group down some.

Let us know what you can get in down to!

With iron sights, that be really really good.
Magelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:07   #7
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelk View Post

oops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:38   #8
MajorD

With premium match grade ammo a good quality iron sighted ad can shoot under minute of angle in the hands of a skilled shooter.
At camp perry national matches it is not unheard of for top shooters with iron sights to shoot groups under 5 inches at 600 yards.
At 100 yards an iron sight rifle ( again given a top quality rifle with premium ammo) sub 1 inch groups are possible. It takes lots of practice and trying different ammo( usually hand loads) to get there. I have personally witnessed a top shooter shoot a sub 2 inch group with irons at 300 yards
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
With iron sights AND generic ball ammo? That's damn good!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 20:51   #10
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

We have tested Hornady Steel Match in a S&W Sport and a Colt 6920. They shot over 3 moa with 3 of the 4 groups fired. Those rifles average about 1 moa and 1.5 moa respectively with the 8 loads that they like best, so I think it is fair to say that the Hornady steel match may not be the most accurate ammo. Here is a link to our data- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...e=3&permPage=1

Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:35   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
so I think it is fair to say that the Hornady steel match may not be the most accurate ammo. Here is a link to our data- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...e=3&permPage=1
I have suspected the ammo is not the most accurate ammo out there, but it is at the moment THE BEST ammo as it is free, supplied by my LE agency. Some of the guys reported better accuracy with the Federal AE223 they used to supply, but they bought a pallet of the Hornady as they got a better deal on it.

Only SWAT guys are allowed to carry rifles on patrol, I was just tagging along with my personal AR to get some trigger time with free ammo this morning.

And I am new to AR's, this is my first AR and I've only had it a few weeks, this was the third time I have shot it.

The good news is it has been 100% reliable for over a thousand rounds. It got 500rds through it today.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:41   #12
MajorD

With your combination of ammo you should be able to approach under 3 inches with irons.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43   #13
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

A typical ironsighted AR, a properly built one to gov't specs is still only expected to be a 2-3 MOA rifle.

While your groups aren't pretty, as you said, you're new to the AR. I could probably do better, but I've been shooting irons of all types for nearly thirty years, and the AR platform or related (M1, M14, M1 carbine, M249, M240) for anywhere from 5-20 years, so I'm quite familiar with them.

Given a good lot of ammo, properly built rifle and a decent shooter, 1-2 MOA is pretty good for most guys with irons.

Using a match built rifle, a special small aperature, handloaded, heavy long bullets single loaded, a guy at Camp Perry shot minute of angle at 1,000 yards with an AR.

That's a 10" group at 1,000 yards. Still inside the chest of an average man.

Scopes don't help you shoot better, they reduce the complexity of what's going on (single focal plane) and help you SEE better. Back in the day, guys in the national/international shooting comps with irons and good eyesight did some insane things with rifles and irons. Quigley Down Under is a movie, but not far off what some guys pulled off.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:04   #14
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Using a match built rifle, a special small aperature, handloaded, heavy long bullets single loaded, a guy at Camp Perry shot minute of angle at 1,000 yards with an AR.

That's a 10" group at 1,000 yards. Still inside the chest of an average man.
The Camp Perry 1000 yard target is six feet square and has a 20 inch bullseye (10 ring).
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49   #15
Gunnut 45/454

Yep better ammo might tighen that up to 2-3" but 4" at 100 is not bad. On a good day I can average around 2.5" but the eyes just are not what they use to be!
Old 12-12-2012, 17:09   #16
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Yep better ammo might tighen that up to 2-3" but 4" at 100 is not bad. On a good day I can average around 2.5" but the eyes just are not what they use to be!
With my colt my groups have gone from 1-2 inch to 3-4 inch. Gun hasn't changed, my eyes have.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:29   #17
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
With my colt my groups have gone from 1-2 inch to 3-4 inch. Gun hasn't changed, my eyes have.

I could tell my groups have been changing lately. Last week, I went to get my eye’s checked. Yep, I need new glasses.

The interesting thing is, on the sheet of paper they had me fill out before my eye exam, it had a place for you to fill out what your hobbies are and what you need your glasses tailored around.

This would be nice for target shooting and gun matches if needed.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:48   #18
Magelk

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
With iron sights AND generic ball ammo? That's damn good!!!

Really really super damn good!!!!
Magelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:18   #19
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Hornady Steel Match is NOT generic ball ammo. While my handloads are all under 1 MOA for 5 shots, the Steel match is running about 1.5 MOA in my ARs and nothing worse than 2.2 MOA.

A mil-spec set of sights are going to open that up some until you have a lot of trigger time and learn the techniques. The top Iron sight shooters are using filed down, aftermarket or globe sights with precision inserts to increase the repeatabilty of the sighting system.

There are not a lot of people that can hold better than 1 MOA and few rifles that shoot better than 1 MOA. Add that together with stack-up and most people are going to be shooting 3 to 4 MOA for groups of 5 or more rounds.

You are doing fine for staritng out.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:08   #20
cowboy1964

Seeing better = shooting better, assuming I do my other parts correctly.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote