Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2013, 20:29   #1
Deputydave

Dual Survival Season Three

Well I watched the 'Unbraided' episode and the S3 first episode 'Mars on Earth'. Enjoyed them both. Although I like and miss Dave, I think Joe will do just fine with Cody. They're both alpha males and somewhat set in their ways, but the contrast in styles makes it interesting and give you some different perspectives and options to consider.

Yes, it is a show. Yes, situations are somewhat set up for them. But I have learned some things from S1 and S2 and more than that, it helped motivate me to do further research and seek ways to be more self-reliant.

Looking forward to the next episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 22:11   #2
9mm +p+

Yep. I love that show, it does seem to be staged more than previous seasons.
Old 01-05-2013, 17:53   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Yep. I love that show, it does seem to be staged more than previous seasons.
I noticed it too. When they used ants to "stitch" a tiny scratch on Joe's arm that wasn't even bleeding. Of course they dont call it staging, they call it demonstrating.

I like Cody enough I'll keep watching it. I have read his two books and think he is a funny guy who knows his stuff.

I was really hoping they were gonna keep Cody and have a different guest host each episode for him to work with. I heard they considered that but it didn't wind up happening.

Its a shame about Dave, what a stupid thing to lie about. My wife and I watch the show every week since it came out, and she is a bigger fan of Dave.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50   #4
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Hey thats TV!
TangoFoxtrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14   #5
wiskeyVI

I'm not sure it's going to be as good.
I was wondering why the cast change...
wiskeyVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54   #6
Tom Kanik

A possible reason for the cast change might be the background/military service controversy of Dave Canterbury; whether or not he was actually an Army sniper, etc. There seems to be no question about Joe Tepi, who I would consider a bonafide hero.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46   #7
Akita
gone

Saw an ad where the show seems to be moving towards a more 'bear gryllis way' of complete and utter stupidity stunts; eg, jumping from a cliff into rapids, etc. The antisurvival techniques and all that for the sake of ratings.

imo, Les Stroud (who doesnt do his shows with an army of support staff and medical team AND who doesnt stay in motels between shootings) was the only decent survival show. (i'll give DS good marks for season 1 and 2's illustration of techniques, but it was all scripted and staged).
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 19:58   #8
HalfHazzard
SeŮor Member

I like the Joe and Cody combo. Great show.
Old 01-07-2013, 17:55   #9
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
Saw an ad where the show seems to be moving towards a more 'bear gryllis way' of complete and utter stupidity stunts; eg, jumping from a cliff into rapids, etc. The antisurvival techniques and all that for the sake of ratings.

imo, Les Stroud (who doesnt do his shows with an army of support staff and medical team AND who doesnt stay in motels between shootings) was the only decent survival show. (i'll give DS good marks for season 1 and 2's illustration of techniques, but it was all scripted and staged).
That's my impression.

The first two seasons had good info while being entertaining without too much "hold my beer and watch this" weaved in. Though there was more of it in season two. So far it looks like the third season is heavier on the latter.

On the entertainment aspect the chemistry just ain't the same either. It's hard to beat a duo of a dirty shoeless hippy and an abrasive redneck for entertainment. The new cat just doesn't fulfill that role. The dynamics are off and even the forced drama is less interesting.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05   #10
Stevekozak
Returning video

I don't think it is going to be good. Looks pretty flakey so far. I don't like the new guy.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41   #11
Aceman

I am personally very much a "Dave" type guy.

Still - a great show all around. Love seeing the different approaches. Haven't seen the new season yet, but looking forward to it!
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:20   #12
ric0123

The show seems to be more built around Cody, and how he's awesome.. but there's this OTHER guy that he drags along so he can show how his way is better. The online articles I read aimed that direction. Regardless, I've picked up a lot of things from the show and I enjoy it overall

I am ready for new Survivorman episodes though..

Off topic:

anyone know what knife Joe is using when they were in the desert?
Old 01-05-2013, 19:27   #13
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
I enjoyed season 1 & 2 of the DS series, but find the new shows lacking and now overrun by going for sensationalism and viewership.

Pathfinder (Dave Canterberry) has issued a recent public apology for the resume embellishment (who of us hasn't embellished something at one time or another) and has many instructional videos for free on youtube. I enjoy his straight forward methods of instruction and information sharing.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 21:37   #14
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric0123 View Post
T
anyone know what knife Joe is using when they were in the desert?
His owndesign made by TOPS.

Look at his website.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55   #15
Deputydave

As I've mentioned, season 1 & 2 of DS was one of the factors that got me motivated to start prepping/learning survival and self-reliance. A lot of good came from season 1 & 2 and I've enjoyed watching them. Much better than what else is offered on TV these days.

I like Dave and enjoyed him on the show. I have also enjoyed his YT videos and learned quite a bit of valuabel info. Embellishment or not, Dave knows what he's doing and is a good instructor. That trumps anything else in my opinion.

Cody in my opinion is simple awesome. I say this from the standpoint of practical self-reliance. The man walks the walk and can teach it. I've enjoyed both his books and gained practical knowledge from each that I've put into use.

Joe, so far so good. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far and hope he is at least as good as Dave was for the show.

And yep, I'm ready for more Survivorman too

And I enjoyed Man Woman Wild as well and wouldn't mind seeing more of that if they every make more. Again, much better than the crap they shovel on TV these days.

Real Housewives of Beverly Hills....are you serious!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:43   #16
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Fun show, I DVR it and watch it with the wife every week. The new guy seems like he will do fine. I like him.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49   #17
ScaryWoody

I like the show and look forward to this season. I miss Dave though. I enjoy the contrast of Joe surviving the situation and Cody living in it.
ScaryWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05   #18
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryWoody View Post
I like the show and look forward to this season. I miss Dave though. I enjoy the contrast of Joe surviving the situation and Cody living in it.
Y'know, that is actually a great way to put it.

Last edited by Deputydave; 01-09-2013 at 09:05..
Old 01-09-2013, 20:56   #19
Kloogee

Quote:
.......imo, Les Stroud (who doesnt do his shows with an army of support staff and medical team AND who doesnt stay in motels between shootings) was the only decent survival show.....
I love Survivorman. All the rest are just actors.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 22:11   #20
Deputydave

Quote:
.......imo, Les Stroud (who doesnt do his shows with an army of support staff and medical team AND who doesnt stay in motels between shootings) was the only decent survival show.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogee View Post
I love Survivorman. All the rest are just actors.
I can't quite agree. Cody Lundin (just like Les Stroud) lives off-grid. He isn't only an instructor, he lives this way 24/7. He grows his own food, catches his own water etc. It isn't acting. I know BG has been accused of staying in hotels and such, but the others haven't been accused of this. Dave Canterbury lives what he teaches, Mykal Hawke and Joe Teti are military trained and have lived in these types of harsh environments. So while some of the show is just that, a show. It does feature real professionals in situations that can really happen (and have) and they are demonstrating real skills that are viable.

Think of it this way, with all the other crap on TV these days (and it is a bunch of crap), at least we have something entertaining as well as educational.