Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2013, 00:30   #1
Eric2340
Infidel :)

Good working fixed blade?

Knife noob here -

I'm mainly only ever owned folders, looking to buy a GOOD fixed blade of decent size, but not looking to spend a fortune on it. Just want a good sized, "working knife" in a fixed blade. Something like the classic Ka-bar or so.

OR is that already the answer (a Ka-bar style knife) or something like the Glock knife? I already have one of the Glock knives I bought as a novelty, not a big fan of it's plastic sheath but that's easy enough to fix. Not to mention I was wondering if I was limited buy it's length and grip?

Recommendations? I'm NOT looking for a safe/display queen?

Thanks -
Old 01-05-2013, 00:56   #2
UtahIrishman
BLR

a classic Ka-bar will set you back about 60 bucks. Well worth it in my opinion. They're a strong knife.

I like the Glock Knife I have. It's quite utilitarian and strong...I've dug holes with it.

Cold Steel makes some nice fixed blades that are reasonable as well. Might check them out

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:20   #3
bdcochran

I read and reread the posting.

OP stated that he has a Glock knife already. He implies that he is not satisfied with the same. In that situation, he is best advised to obtain something else.

My mentor loves the Glock knife. As a former paratrooper, he sets up survival packs for his family. He wanted a digger that would be strapped outside a pack. He likes the Glock knife. However, he didn't like the grind and spent a considerable sum having his Glock knives reground to his satisfaction.

The two points are: 1. no one can make the decision what knife will be comfortable for a particular person; and 2. nothing is perfect.

You might like a Ka bar. However, it depends upon whether you find the grip comfortable for your application. Moreover, there are a variety of blade types and "generations" of even the basic Ka Bar originally used in WW2.

I may not like a "saw blade", a "tanto point", a "leather grip", a "plastic sheath". Whatever. Or I may decide that a Ka Bar or a Glock knife is too unwieldy to carry on a consistent basis and want something that is not a digger, not as big. Then I might prefer a Mora for $15 or a Marttinni for $25.

The two knives identified are basic field knives. OP already knows what he doesn't like about the Glock knife. So, just buy a Ka Bar and learn what he likes and dislikes about that knife. Then, he can have more information and make a better decision when he buys his third knife and joins the rest of us in the pursuit of the best all around reasonably priced field knife.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24   #4
Eric2340
Infidel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
I read and reread the posting.

OP stated that he has a Glock knife already. He implies that he is not satisfied with the same. In that situation, he is best advised to obtain something else.

Bingo

Quote:
My mentor loves the Glock knife. As a former paratrooper, he sets up survival packs for his family. He wanted a digger that would be strapped outside a pack. He likes the Glock knife. However, he didn't like the grind and spent a considerable sum having his Glock knives reground to his satisfaction.

My biggest issues w/ the Glock knife are -

1. Length - or again, being a noob to fixed blade field knives, should they be this long (5" plus) and is this better ("the longer the better")???

2. Hate the sheath :( - If I stay w/ the Glock knife I'd definitely buy an aftermarket sheath for it.

3. Blade width and thickness - the blade seems a little narrow to me, but again being new to all this I am not sure if it's just my perception or the truth (is a wider knife better or not for field use??) and I'm not a big fan of it's thickness either, but again does the same thing apply to it as does the width issue?

I guess one of the main things I wanted to know was in the eyes of those who know, how is the Glock knife perceived as far as a "good knife" or what works well in the real world/what would one look for in a field knife for real world use?

Quote:
You might like a Ka bar. However, it depends upon whether you find the grip comfortable for your application. Moreover, there are a variety of blade types and "generations" of even the basic Ka Bar originally used in WW2.
I like the classic Ka-bar style also, but being just that, an older style knife, is it still considered the benchmark for fixed blades, or is there now something better out there? Kind of like the relationship between 1911s and Glocks if you will.

Quote:
The two knives identified are basic field knives. OP already knows what he doesn't like about the Glock knife. So, just buy a Ka Bar and learn what he likes and dislikes about that knife. Then, he can have more information and make a better decision when he buys his third knife and joins the rest of us in the pursuit of the best all around reasonably priced field knife.

Well that's what I was hoping to avoid, buying two or three of these things until I found the one I like, but I realize just like guns, it took me a looooooooooong time to settle on the G19/23 frame size as being just about damn near perfect all around for "ME".

Again I know right now I want something strong and robust that will hold an edge well, if it is better I would like something a little wider, thinner and shorter than the Glock knife, I was thinking more around the 4"-5" length if this is enough knife for real world use as I'd kind of like get it mounted up inverted also on a pack strap/suspender setup as opposed to waist or thigh carry if that makes sense in the real world either?

Was looking at the SOG SEAL knives (full size and pup) too, or is that just a marketing BS thing w/ them??

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40   #5
mattallamerican

ontario low end or bark river high end
mattallamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Here's an interesting cutting tool that I've been thinking about getting lately:

Right now I've filed this information away under, 'Good Knives I Could Use And Wouldn't Mind Losing!'
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:20   #7
ViennaGambit

Looks at an ESEE 6.

American made and a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Awesome guys who own the company to boot.
Old 01-05-2013, 17:33   #8
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

K-Bar's are not any sort of benchmark for fixed blade knives. It's a $60 partial tang fighting knife made of mostly adequate steel. Nothing very special about them one way or another save for historical value.

What do you plan on doing with the knife?

Bushcraft? Blind Horse Knives, Bark River Fallkniven.

Hard use survival style knife? ESEE, Busse, Swamp Rat.

The list is endless unless you help by narrowing down the purpose of your new tool.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 17:51   #9
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Did I mention endless variety

The Cutting Edge

Old 01-05-2013, 18:02   #10
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Ok I admit it I'm just playing with my new camera.

The Cutting Edge

Old 01-05-2013, 18:09   #11
BenjiEDF

Ontario Air Force Survival knife.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:21   #12
Bren
NRA Life Member

I would also look at Ontario knives. I especially like the RAT, TAK and RD knives, with the wide full tang and scale grip. Those will msotly run you around $70-75. Personally, my favorite knife is a Becker BK2, but that's a little big for most people.

Last edited by Bren; 01-05-2013 at 18:24..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 21:32   #13
countrygun

I am very partial to the Buck "Nighthawk" in the original length and blade shape.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 23:07   #14
dkf

Don't know if they are out of your price range but Morris makes some nice knives. http://michaelmorrisknives.com/2.html
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 23:17   #15
bdcochran

Mori Robust if you don't insist on a digger.

Condor - if you will spend the time or money to grind it.

Kabar short blade - Saw a video on how to convert the kydex sheath to a behind-the-back horizontal carry. Will try that. I will probably have to 550 cord the scales.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote