SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 14:36   #1
Skipper Bob

Ammo Hoarding

Here in the greater Seattle area there is almost no 22lr anywhere you look .Wallmart, Dicks, Big 5, LGS even Cabela`s. Some of the forums there are guys bragging about their 20,000 round stash and buying cases at a time. You don`t have to control guns all you have to do is control ammo. How many 10-22, mark 3, and buckmarks etc,etc. do you think will be sold without a decent ammo supply. What about the millons of 22`s already out there now? The 9MM around here is just starting to get low. I`m sure the other will follow soon. Hoarding is playing into the anti-gun hands!! No ammo ,means no useable guns now or in the future!
Ruger LCP W/CT
Ruger 10-22
Old 01-05-2013, 14:46   #2
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

the hoarders now are idiots but I have to ask why were you not prepared with a small stash on hand after all the recent mass shootings?? Do you not have a BiMart close by???

I made it a practice to buy one brick a month at BiMart if they were on sale over the last few years ...as they are ever month or so. I also stocked up on reloading components the same way at BiMart as powder, primers and Hornady bullets go on sale every other month or so.
Old 01-05-2013, 14:47   #3
countrygun

With the freedom to act comes the freedom to act in your own self interest, selfishly or for good reason or to act stupidly.

I don't see it as "playing into the anti's hands" since s long as there is a demand and profit on the line manufacturers will produce more. It does serve to show the folly of future legislative limitations. If it scares the antis that isn't much of loss anyway.

Anyone "on the fence" with any sense just might realize they had better get off the fence and get armed, those without the sense to figure that out are probably latent antis anyway.
Old 01-05-2013, 14:51   #4
ctfireman

I don't agree with ammo hoarding & don't do it (i have a stash but not a hoarder by any means). But it's their money to blow.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:05   #5
arclight610

I only keep 300rds of each caliber on hand. I just have a crapton of primers and powder.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:22   #6
byf43
NRA Life Member

There was a point in my life, where I didn't have enough $$$ to enjoy my sport, much less pay all my bills and eat. (I'm very serious.)

After I got my 'stuff' in order (after a divorce), I started setting some $$$ aside EVERY week, for my 'sport'.

When I got $$$ for primers, powder, bullets, I bought what I needed.
IF I found a sale on ammo, I bought.
Federal "Hi-Power" .22lr was going for 99¢ for a 100 round box.
Federal "Lightning" .22lr was going for 49¢ for a 100 round box.
I bought a couple of cases, of each. 5,000 rounds in each case.
(I was shooting NRA Smallbore Hunter Pistol Silhouette every week, too.)

7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser) - $65.00/case. Bought some.
(Those days are G O N E!)

When I see a sale, I buy. I don't hoard. I shoot what I buy. . . . eventually.

Buy it cheap. Stack it deep.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 01-05-2013 at 15:25..
Old 01-05-2013, 16:53   #7
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
I only keep 300rds of each caliber on hand. I just have a crapton of primers and powder.
Have fun reloading those .22 rimfire's.
Old 01-05-2013, 17:02   #8
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
Have fun reloading those .22 rimfire's.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:22   #9
GlockFish
Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Bob View Post
Here in the greater Seattle area there is almost no 22lr anywhere you look .Wallmart, Dicks, Big 5, LGS even Cabela`s. Some of the forums there are guys bragging about their 20,000 round stash and buying cases at a time. You don`t have to control guns all you have to do is control ammo. How many 10-22, mark 3, and buckmarks etc,etc. do you think will be sold without a decent ammo supply. What about the millons of 22`s already out there now? The 9MM around here is just starting to get low. I`m sure the other will follow soon. Hoarding is playing into the anti-gun hands!! No ammo ,means no useable guns now or in the future!
So you want us all to divide our gardens evenly?
or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:33   #10
voomie

The only reason why I bought in bulk was because I was planing on rise in prices because of the election and this was 6 months before the Big O won the seat again. What I wasnt planning on was the massive buy up because of the recent shooting.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:37   #11
Cmacc

So you want the store to have an limitless supply but a private citizen is not allowed to obtain any more than you decide. There is a job waiting for you in the Central Planning Division of your local government.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:35   #12

I have 35k of .22 bought over the years. Am I stashing or hoarding? And at what point does stashing (good) become hoarding (bad)?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
Old 01-05-2013, 15:39   #13
grumpy1

I like to shoot so I have a pretty fair stash. Does that make me a hoarder?? I bought quite a few cases this summer of 9MM, etc. when prices were dirt cheap and ammo plentiful. So maybe I am not a hoarder, but someone who planned ahead, because there was plenty left for anyone else that wanted to buy at that time also - buy cheap and stack it deep.

I blame those that were complacent believing obama was a zero threat to our Second Amendment Rights because he never even talked about gun control in his first term. I know a lot of gun owners that voted for him believing that would still be that case even though they were warned by myself and others including the NRA. Many of those same gun owners are now out trying to buy all the ammo, hi cap magazines, and black rifles they can find. Kind of ironic.

Last edited by grumpy1; 01-05-2013 at 15:43..
Old 01-05-2013, 15:47   #14
rockabillyrider

This store is currently closed until we catch up on the orders we already have.

PHONE: (856) 767-8835</SPAN>
FAX LINE 24-HOURS (856)-767-3877
ALL OTHER TIMES EMAIL US HERE
Ammoman will be shut down temporarily due to the holiday and extreme high volume of sales.

We are currently over 7 business days behind in shipping, please be patient with orders already placed

All tracking numbers are sent when UPS gets and scans the package barcode. Some may be blocked by your spam blocker. Look for an e-mail that says "quantum view notify"

We cannot track or provide tracking numbers by phone at this time.Every person in the office is processing orders. Please feel free to e-mail any requests.

UPS will also be closed for the 4 day New Year's holiday.This will slow things down.
We are very sorry for the delay and we are working many extra shifts to catch up.
Old 01-05-2013, 16:45   #15
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

The smart ones hoarded a long time ago. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
Old 01-05-2013, 17:05   #16
TSAX
USAF Vet

Have you tried to call around to the local ranges (Champion, West Coast, Wades, The Marksman and Federal Way Discount Guns, I know they are usually higher in cost but if you really need some ammo............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member

NRA Member
Old 01-05-2013, 17:31   #17
yellowhand

300 rounds is considered a lite basic load, 600 rounds is considered about enough for one long patrol, this in 5.56 along with 50 to 100 rounds of pistol.
300 rounds can go bye, bye in less than hour of hard use, 600 rounds in less than a day?
10 days, 3000 to 6000 rounds per person.
In an emergency, 10 days of hard use per month, times 6 months, 18,000 to 36,000 rounds over this span, means, how much ammo you got on hand???
Factor in no resupply, and everyone looking to pick up more ammo in any emergency,,,
Having 3000 to 6000 rounds in a REAL hard use period is not so much ammo to have on hand folks.
If you are willing to bet your life, that any emergency will last one hour of hard use, have 300 rounds.
Or 3000 rounds, 1 hour per day for 10 days of hard use.
or 25,000 rounds for a few months, fine.
25,000 rounds is about right for a real emergncy that might last six months, after that, we use ROCKS???
In any emergency where the use of a firearm is needed for more than ten days, buy ammo now, most of these new rifles being bought will run empty in less than one hour.
A spare rifle or two is not bad either, a new Colt M-16 will be burned up in less than an hour of hard use, been there and done that.
Old 01-05-2013, 17:08   #18
TSAX
USAF Vet

Also there is a gun show in Monroe next week and Puyallup the following weekend. There usually is a few ammo sellers there.

GSSF Member

NRA Member
Old 01-05-2013, 17:34   #19
cesaros

This "hysteria" or "panic" really has shed some light on how things will go should there be an actual panic or hysteria that matters.

I've always been under the impression that .22lr will always be available, no matter what happens...this really opened my eyes to how quickly it can all be gone.

I have several hundred rounds of 22lr on hand, but thats only because I purchased a brick of 500 several months ago for $20.

Slowly Ive been buying a box of 50 9mm's every week or so...I wont hoard, but I'll stock up slowly.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.

Last edited by cesaros; 01-05-2013 at 17:37..
Old 01-05-2013, 17:41   #20
collim1
Shower Time!

I'm guilty.

I have been buying a box or two of ammo a week for years, and a bulk purchase once a year or so if I find a good deal.

I have 5k rounds of .45acp and 2k of .223. I have lots of various 12g and 20g also. I dont keep FMJ in .40 but I have 500rds of good SD JHP for .40 on hand.

.22 is the one I am lacking these days. I had a good stash built up and then got a SP101 in .22LR. You cant help but smile and pull the trigger on that thing about 500 times every time you take it out.

Closed Thread