GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 18:35   #1
tango44
Senior Member
 
tango44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 5,237
Frog Lube on 1911's?

How often do apply the paste treatment to your 1911's?

I use the liquid to clean and lubricate after every range session, but wonders how often the paste?
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 22:45   #2
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,085
It's pure snake oil. Does nothing better than the current Milspec CLP by G96. Walk to the mirror and shout "sucker!!"
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:00   #3
Waboom!!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Minnesota, yah sure you betcha
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
It's pure snake oil. Does nothing better than the current Milspec CLP by G96. Walk to the mirror and shout "sucker!!"
I totally disagree with this statement. Froglube and Militec are far superior to clp. I personally do not like or use clp.
Waboom!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 16:45   #4
Rinspeed
JAFO
 
Rinspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 9,812


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
It's pure snake oil. Does nothing better than the current Milspec CLP by G96. Walk to the mirror and shout "sucker!!"



I agree.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------


You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 22:49   #5
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
How often do apply the paste treatment to your 1911's?


never
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 18:30   #6
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,886
It's not the end all be all IMO but it's pretty retarded to call it snake oil. It's 10x the product CLP is.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:15   #7
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
It's not the end all be all IMO but it's pretty retarded to call it snake oil. It's 10x the product CLP is.
CLP works fine so why go for 10Xfine??
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:27   #8
dakrat
Senior Member
 
dakrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: worldwide, on time, on target
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
CLP works fine so why go for 10Xfine??
because I shoot more accurately knowing I am using a $30 lube. this lube runs deep brah. penetrates the pores and removes gun blackheads en stuff. go deep or go home ese
__________________
---Revolvers are the future---

Last edited by dakrat; 01-06-2013 at 22:27..
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 23:13   #9
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,815
ah vahto, yo veo
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:29   #10
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
It's not the end all be all IMO but it's pretty retarded to call it snake oil. It's 10x the product CLP is.

G96 Synthetic CLP is the only military issue CLP available to civilians. Break Free was dropped years ago. G96 CLP is far better than the repackaged roller coaster lubricant that is Frog Lube.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19   #11
Rinspeed
JAFO
 
Rinspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 9,812


Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
It's 10x the product CLP is.




So you've been using the wrong CLP.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------


You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 23:19   #12
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
So you've been using the wrong CLP.
Don't use it.

Last edited by MD357; 01-12-2013 at 23:22..
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 21:57   #13
257 roberts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 462
Never
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 23:30   #14
Stang_Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 948
Just try to clean the pistol when it's still warm and it'll melt the paste like butter.

I love the smell
__________________
1989 Mustang GT: 331, full suspension
Stang_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29   #15
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,247
We have a bucket of it at work. Everyone was raving about it when they first got it. I tired it and determined it was just about like everything else I have used over the years. People are no longer raving about it and it doesn't seem to be getting used as much. I think they are seeing through the hype. There is always some latest and greatest lube.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32   #16
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,169
Blog Entries: 3
FYI Frog lube works fine warm, Guess what, I was at the range shooting Saturday and it was about 40 degrees, the frog lube samples in my shooting bag had been in freezing temps the night before, they were the consistancy of taffy,,,,,Not good I can see them causing problems if they migrate into areas like the disconnector..

Oil is for firearms, grease is for tighly fitted meshing components under load like gears,,,MAYBE slide lugs in a pistol, grease is not the best lubricant for firearms..

Synthetic oil is the best overall.
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51   #17
boyscout399
Stam Chipmunk
 
boyscout399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lyman, Maine
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
FYI Frog lube works fine warm, Guess what, I was at the range shooting Saturday and it was about 40 degrees, the frog lube samples in my shooting bag had been in freezing temps the night before, they were the consistancy of taffy,,,,,Not good I can see them causing problems if they migrate into areas like the disconnector..

Oil is for firearms, grease is for tighly fitted meshing components under load like gears,,,MAYBE slide lugs in a pistol, grease is not the best lubricant for firearms..

Synthetic oil is the best overall.
Umm, you shouldn't be applying frog lube so thick that it turns into taffy in the cold...
boyscout399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 14:07   #18
Chimo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
After the proper "seasoning" of the weapon you will only need to reapply as needed. If you start noticing that the carbon is a little harder to while off I would then suggest putting on more. Remember a little goes a long way. I have used in both heat and cold and never had an issue.
Chimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 16:12   #19
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,169
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
After the proper "seasoning" of the weapon you will only need to reapply as needed. If you start noticing that the carbon is a little harder to while off I would then suggest putting on more. Remember a little goes a long way. I have used in both heat and cold and never had an issue.
Lube should not need to be seasoned nor should it be hard like taffy at 35 degrees.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 17:49   #20
Chimo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
Lube should not need to be seasoned nor should it be hard like taffy at 35 degrees.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Lube dose NOT news to be seasoned but the metal does. Once it soaks into the the metal by heating, just like you would a cast iron skillet. That is the way this plant based CLP is used. And I can speak from experience that it works.
Chimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31   #21
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,169
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
The Lube dose NOT news to be seasoned but the metal does. Once it soaks into the the metal by heating, just like you would a cast iron skillet. That is the way this plant based CLP is used. And I can speak from experience that it works.
The metal does not need to be seasoned all it needs is a good lube that stays viscous down to low Temps .I don't cook eggs on my 1911 the surfaces bear against one another and need a film of lubricant.

Metal is not a sponge some amount of lube gets in the surface pores but it does not soak in....
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 01-10-2013 at 04:54..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32   #22
Chimo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
The metal does not need to be seasoned all it needs is a good lube that stays viscous down to low Temps .I don't cook eggs on my 1911 the surfaces bear against one another and need a film of lubricant.

Metal is not a sponge some amount of lube gets in the surface pores but it does not soak in....
I guess,we will have to agree to disagree. Have you given it a try?
Chimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20   #23
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,169
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
I guess,we will have to agree to disagree. Have you given it a try?
Yes.. Nothing special, I use Ballistol when I want to go green it has some actual useful properties.
Frog lube is gimmicky .
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41   #24
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,775


The only metal things I season are my iron cookwares.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02   #25
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,938
Great,.....another "lube pissin match"

I once ran a Springfield GI for 500 rounds using only KY.

As for the current issues CLP, I'd rather use a lube that doesn't
smell like rotten tuna!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,125
325 Members
800 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42