Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17   #1
Dakotaota
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 53
New Glock 20 and looking for help...

Hey everyone,

Im new to the forum but I have been lurking here for quite a while getting ideas. Anyways I purchased a new G20 about 2 months ago. Love it! But I want to trick it out and modify it a little bit. I will be carrying it occassionally on hunts and wanted a lil more performance.

Anyways heres is what Im thinking:
Threaded kkm barrel with comp
Magwell (but I know the best)
New guiderod and spring (looking for suggestions)
Adjustable iron sights (also looking for suggestion)

I would also like to purchase a seperate longslide from lonewolf, but it seems they havent been getting much positive said about em lately. I was thinking a full longslide setup with comp and a reddot may be cool, but was thinking a kkm barrel with the lonewolf slide would be better.

Anyways let me here your suggestions, looking to get the parts for the factory slide soon. Talked to kkm and they do have an awesome discount for us active duty military folks.

Thanks again, love the info here!
Dakotaota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 13:19   #2
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Not trying to wet-blanket things but the main reason for my having a Glock 20sf is because it didn't need gadgets and gizmos. If you are shooting a lot of cast bullets, I could see a standard rifled barrel but adjustable sights?? 'they aren't generally target pistols. From your list of goodies and obvious expectations and budget, you are getting up near the cost of an RIA 10mm 1911 type and one of those would be easier to aftermarket 'till your heart's content. Just on what can be done to 1911 trigger alone over any Glock, makes "paper" accuracy more obtainable.

just my .02 YMMV
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:04   #3
Dakotaota
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 53
No problem....but I own a few 1911's and really wanted a g20 tricked a lil to potentially use for a hunting rig. I understand the cost and Im not looking for paper accuracy, I dont compete and just enjoy scenario training and shooting with friends. But I happen to like Glocks and everyone that I have to date is strictly stock with the exception of night sights. I actually have been wanting one of these for this specific purpose. So when I came across this one I decided now is the time. And lets be honest, a g20 tricked is nowhere near the cost of my wilson combat or even my built colt 1911.

Thanks though...got any suggestions on an adjustable set of sights? I really wouldd like to hear some experiences. Like I said all my others are completely stock CCW guns for the most part.
__________________
Gen 3 - G20, G22
Gen 4 - G26, G41, G42 (on order)
Dakotaota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:27   #4
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember
 
Short Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Above ground
Posts: 17,907


You might want to put a red dot sight on it for hunting. Personally I wouldn't get a magwell as it isn't needed for hunting and would get in the way for carry.

The 10 Ring
__________________
GT Charter Life Member 88


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45   #5
TJ Superfly
Senior Member
 
TJ Superfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
You might want to put a red dot sight on it for hunting. Personally I wouldn't get a magwell as it isn't needed for hunting and would get in the way for carry.

The 10 Ring
Shortcut, What kind of grip tape do you have there? Do you like it?
Thanks,
TJ Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03   #6
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember
 
Short Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Above ground
Posts: 17,907


Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyj61 View Post
Shortcut, What kind of grip tape do you have there? Do you like it?
Thanks,
I swiped that photo straight off the Glockworx website I think. Here's a link:
http://www.glockworx.com/grip_pr-3717.aspx
__________________
GT Charter Life Member 88


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:33   #7
Dakotaota
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 53
Thats a sick g17....I see glockworx does alot of that kind of work. Very cool....thanks for the info!
__________________
Gen 3 - G20, G22
Gen 4 - G26, G41, G42 (on order)

Last edited by Dakotaota; 01-11-2013 at 14:41..
Dakotaota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 00:09   #8
TDC20
Senior Member
 
TDC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 628
If you want get the longslide you can, but you don't need it to drop in a 6" barrel for hunting. I have a LWD 6" barrel (I got a good one, some have complained that LWD has produced some questionable quality barrels) that shoots the same zero as the stock G20 barrel. Like you, I wanted the extra velocity that the 6" barrel provides for hunting. You get a 100fps more velocity with the same 180gr load with the 6" barrel. The long slide is up to you, but you could be opening yourself up to a whole lot of reliability troubleshooting once you do that. As long as you have the patience to work out the bugs, you will be OK, and the long slide will provide you with the advantage of a better sight radius.

I also wanted adjustable sights (mainly for hunting) and tritium night sights for carry, so I chose the Meprolight Tru-Dot tritium adjustable as a compromise. I'm very happy with them. They have been plenty rugged for carry with no problems. Sights are largely a matter of personal preference, so YMMV. The front sight is large, but comes very close to filling the rear dovetail when held at shooting length on the stock G20 slide, so as long as your brain can pick the center of the front sight, they do align very well for accuracy.

The only other things I did to my G20 was a 22lb Wolff spring and steel guide rod set, a 3.5lb trigger connector, and a 25 cent trigger job. It's my favorite pistol. Enjoyable to shoot, very accurate, and 100% reliable for total carry confidence.

Congratulations on the new G20. I hope you have fun getting it the way you want.
__________________
A handgun is only good for fighting your way to a rifle.
TDC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01   #9
MarineHawk
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
... I also wanted adjustable sights (mainly for hunting) and tritium night sights for carry, so I chose the Meprolight Tru-Dot tritium adjustable as a compromise. I'm very happy with them. They have been plenty rugged for carry with no problems. ...
TDC20, I also have the Meprolight adjustable sights recently installed, but the installer I think discarded the writtne info that accompanied the sigh. Looking at the sight, I can tell that the top screw moves the point of impact up when turned counterclockwise; and the right screw moved the point of impact left when you turn in clockwise. However, the marking above the left screw looks like it says "MID" or "MICE" or something.

Questions if you know:

(1) How much do the Up and Left screws move the point of impact either in MOA or in inches at 25 yards, etc... for each click?

(2) What does the left-side "Mice" screw do?

P.S. I know it likely doesn't say "Mice," but that seems funny to me, and I can't think what else it might say.
MarineHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:10   #10
TDC20
Senior Member
 
TDC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
TDC20, I also have the Meprolight adjustable sights recently installed, but the installer I think discarded the writtne info that accompanied the sigh. Looking at the sight, I can tell that the top screw moves the point of impact up when turned counterclockwise; and the right screw moved the point of impact left when you turn in clockwise. However, the marking above the left screw looks like it says "MID" or "MICE" or something.

Questions if you know:

(1) How much do the Up and Left screws move the point of impact either in MOA or in inches at 25 yards, etc... for each click?

(2) What does the left-side "Mice" screw do?

P.S. I know it likely doesn't say "Mice," but that seems funny to me, and I can't think what else it might say.
I looked at the "Mice" markings under magnification, and I think it says, in two different fonts, "M" and "H3". I think the big "M" is for Meprolight, and the "H3" is for tritium. I couldn't find my paperwork, either, but I don't think the screw on the left side needs to be turned.

You have the directions for the adjustments correct, I believe. Adjust the screw on the right side CCW for right, and CW for left.

I can't really tell you how many turns moves the impact at 25 yards, but I do have a little math that tells me for a G20 sight radius of 6.84" (measured mine with the Meprolights), to move one inch at 25 yards, you would need to move the rear sight by 0.0076". I hope that helps. It's been so long since I zeroed mine, and pretty much everything I shoot out of it uses the same zero, that I forgot what the adjustments were for 25yds.
__________________
A handgun is only good for fighting your way to a rifle.
TDC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:25   #11
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,349
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
I looked at the "Mice" markings under magnification, and I think it says, in two different fonts, "M" and "H3". I think the big "M" is for Meprolight, and the "H3" is for tritium. I couldn't find my paperwork, either, but I don't think the screw on the left side needs to be turned.

You have the directions for the adjustments correct, I believe. Adjust the screw on the right side CCW for right, and CW for left.

I can't really tell you how many turns moves the impact at 25 yards, but I do have a little math that tells me for a G20 sight radius of 6.84" (measured mine with the Meprolights), to move one inch at 25 yards, you would need to move the rear sight by 0.0076". I hope that helps. It's been so long since I zeroed mine, and pretty much everything I shoot out of it uses the same zero, that I forgot what the adjustments were for 25yds.
I know that my old BoMar adjustables on my G20L were supposed to be 2/5ths of an inch (.4") for each click at 25y... Or very close. I would use that as a ball park figure. Hell, it might have been .4" @ 50y... Hmmmm
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27   #12
MarineHawk
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
I looked at the "Mice" markings under magnification, and I think it says, in two different fonts, "M" and "H3". I think the big "M" is for Meprolight, and the "H3" is for tritium. I couldn't find my paperwork, either, but I don't think the screw on the left side needs to be turned.

You have the directions for the adjustments correct, I believe. Adjust the screw on the right side CCW for right, and CW for left.

I can't really tell you how many turns moves the impact at 25 yards, but I do have a little math that tells me for a G20 sight radius of 6.84" (measured mine with the Meprolights), to move one inch at 25 yards, you would need to move the rear sight by 0.0076". I hope that helps. It's been so long since I zeroed mine, and pretty much everything I shoot out of it uses the same zero, that I forgot what the adjustments were for 25yds.
Thanks TDC20 and nickE10mm. I will ignore the left-side screw for now, but I still wonder what it does.
MarineHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08   #13
Dakotaota
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 53
TDC20- Thanks man...thats the kind of info I was looking for! I never realized the longslide had a reliability issue, but it makes sense. Im thinking the 6" you suggested sounds like a good plan. Thanks again for the advice. Think I will drop in the longbarrel and see how it goes.
__________________
Gen 3 - G20, G22
Gen 4 - G26, G41, G42 (on order)
Dakotaota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 00:15   #14
TDC20
Senior Member
 
TDC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaota View Post
TDC20- Thanks man...thats the kind of info I was looking for! I never realized the longslide had a reliability issue, but it makes sense. Im thinking the 6" you suggested sounds like a good plan. Thanks again for the advice. Think I will drop in the longbarrel and see how it goes.
Sorry Dakotaota, didn't mean to give you the impression that the LWD longslide has reliability issues. Plenty of people have them and they appear to work well. What I meant to point out is that the more things you change, the more possibility of issues of reliability, and the harder they are to troubleshoot. Like I said, the extra slide length helps on the sight radius, and if you have any reliability issues, they certainly can be corrected. What I was trying to say is that a drop-in barrel, with nothing else changed, is about as easy to troubleshoot as anything.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a longslide. They are definitely cool.
__________________
A handgun is only good for fighting your way to a rifle.
TDC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00   #15
Dakotaota
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
Sorry Dakotaota, didn't mean to give you the impression that the LWD longslide has reliability issues. Plenty of people have them and they appear to work well. What I meant to point out is that the more things you change, the more possibility of issues of reliability, and the harder they are to troubleshoot. Like I said, the extra slide length helps on the sight radius, and if you have any reliability issues, they certainly can be corrected. What I was trying to say is that a drop-in barrel, with nothing else changed, is about as easy to troubleshoot as anything.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a longslide. They are definitely cool.

Im pickin up what your putting down...I think a barrel is a first good step. I do think a longslide setup for this gun is also in the very near future....thanks!
__________________
Gen 3 - G20, G22
Gen 4 - G26, G41, G42 (on order)
Dakotaota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 15:17   #16
Ladd Gardner
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaota View Post
Hey everyone,

Im new to the forum but I have been lurking here for quite a while getting ideas. Anyways I purchased a new G20 about 2 months ago. Love it! But I want to trick it out and modify it a little bit. I will be carrying it occassionally on hunts and wanted a lil more performance.

Anyways heres is what Im thinking:
Threaded kkm barrel with comp
Magwell (but I know the best)
New guiderod and spring (looking for suggestions)
Adjustable iron sights (also looking for suggestion)

I would also like to purchase a seperate longslide from lonewolf, but it seems they havent been getting much positive said about em lately. I was thinking a full longslide setup with comp and a reddot may be cool, but was thinking a kkm barrel with the lonewolf slide would be better.

Anyways let me here your suggestions, looking to get the parts for the factory slide soon. Talked to kkm and they do have an awesome discount for us active duty military folks.

Thanks again, love the info here!
Hey, man,

If you're looking for a great hunting rig, you may want to contact Robert Bailey at Lone Wolf Distributors. He and I collaborated on a Glock 20 long slide, and I've been very, very happy with it.

Their armorer, "Dan," is a great guy, and he engraved my LWD slide with the Glock markings and added the titanium striker and some other slide parts that make this gun shoot like a dream. I also added a "Ghost Rocket" trigger connector, which comes with a heavier trigger spring and lighter safety plunger spring.

The LWD build also included a heavier (22#) recoil assembly.

I have put several thousand rounds of 180 gr. /1300 fps handloads (Blue Dot 11grs), and have had no problems at all.

I also love the 8 MOA Burris Fastfire III red dot sight. This is the sweetest shooting Glock I've ever owned, and I can't imagine a better hunting pistol.

If you're interested in contacting Lone Wolf Distributors, Bob Bailey (sales mgr) can reference the work done on my order ("Ladd Gardner/Colorado) and you'll know you're going to get a rig that shoots great.

Dan at Lone Wolf did the engraving on the slide (Glock markings), and he did a great job. I had already ordered the KKM 6" barrel, and I didn't see the need of getting it threaded for a compensator or suppressor. The extra 5/8" of an inch would've been too much barrel for my tastes, and made an already VERY long hunter completely unwieldy.

The 10 Ring
Ladd Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36   #17
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,349
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Gardner View Post
Hey, man,

If you're looking for a great hunting rig, you may want to contact Robert Bailey at Lone Wolf Distributors. He and I collaborated on a Glock 20 long slide, and I've been very, very happy with it.

Their armorer, "Dan," is a great guy, and he engraved my LWD slide with the Glock markings and added the titanium striker and some other slide parts that make this gun shoot like a dream. I also added a "Ghost Rocket" trigger connector, which comes with a heavier trigger spring and lighter safety plunger spring.

The LWD build also included a heavier (22#) recoil assembly.

I have put several thousand rounds of 180 gr. /1300 fps handloads (Blue Dot 11grs), and have had no problems at all.

I also love the 8 MOA Burris Fastfire III red dot sight. This is the sweetest shooting Glock I've ever owned, and I can't imagine a better hunting pistol.

If you're interested in contacting Lone Wolf Distributors, Bob Bailey (sales mgr) can reference the work done on my order ("Ladd Gardner/Colorado) and you'll know you're going to get a rig that shoots great.

Dan at Lone Wolf did the engraving on the slide (Glock markings), and he did a great job. I had already ordered the KKM 6" barrel, and I didn't see the need of getting it threaded for a compensator or suppressor. The extra 5/8" of an inch would've been too much barrel for my tastes, and made an already VERY long hunter completely unwieldy.

The 10 Ring
Dangit, Ladd.... could you please do a full accuracy review at 25/50/75/100 yards? Sweet longslide, bro.
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:22   #18
jdDub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Gardner View Post
Hey, man,

If you're looking for a great hunting rig, you may want to contact Robert Bailey at Lone Wolf Distributors. He and I collaborated on a Glock 20 long slide, and I've been very, very happy with it.

Their armorer, "Dan," is a great guy, and he engraved my LWD slide with the Glock markings and added the titanium striker and some other slide parts that make this gun shoot like a dream. I also added a "Ghost Rocket" trigger connector, which comes with a heavier trigger spring and lighter safety plunger spring.

The LWD build also included a heavier (22#) recoil assembly.

I have put several thousand rounds of 180 gr. /1300 fps handloads (Blue Dot 11grs), and have had no problems at all.

I also love the 8 MOA Burris Fastfire III red dot sight. This is the sweetest shooting Glock I've ever owned, and I can't imagine a better hunting pistol.

If you're interested in contacting Lone Wolf Distributors, Bob Bailey (sales mgr) can reference the work done on my order ("Ladd Gardner/Colorado) and you'll know you're going to get a rig that shoots great.

Dan at Lone Wolf did the engraving on the slide (Glock markings), and he did a great job. I had already ordered the KKM 6" barrel, and I didn't see the need of getting it threaded for a compensator or suppressor. The extra 5/8" of an inch would've been too much barrel for my tastes, and made an already VERY long hunter completely unwieldy.

The 10 Ring
That is beautiful, I'm doing one very similar. I'm sending it to CCR for Cera-Hide and using DeltaPoint is all. Bob is gone, so if you have any other tips on springs/tuning it's appreciated.

Last edited by jdDub; 07-02-2013 at 16:24..
jdDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:01   #19
Ladd Gardner
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdDub View Post
That is beautiful, I'm doing one very similar. I'm sending it to CCR for Cera-Hide and using DeltaPoint is all. Bob is gone, so if you have any other tips on springs/tuning it's appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear Bob is gone. I'm hoping Luke is still there in sales, and he's very knowledgeable. The armorer who did the work at LWD was "Dan," and he's a great guy. I think the stock G20 recoil spring is 17 pounds, and I swapped this out for the 22# spring, when I went with the longer slide. I'm not sure the heavier spring is actually necessary because of the substantially more significant mass of the slide for the 6" barrel. Both seem to work, and I've had no failures to feed or function. I HAVE had a couple of light primer strikes, and I'm going to go with a heavier Wolf spring (7#) for the striker. Other than that, this is by far my most accurate and fun to shoot Glock.

I've been loading 180 gr TCFMs (Roze Distributors' Zero Bullets) with 11 grains of Blue Dot or 9.2 grains of Longshot (1.25 OAL) both of which chrono at about 1350 fps at our local range, here in Basalt CO (6500' elevation 75F)

Gun is super soft-shooting and a gas to shoot. With the red dot sight, I can routinely shoot 3" groups at 25 yards.

Good luck with yours!
Ladd Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:17   #20
tilefish
Senior Member
 
tilefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 142
Now THIS is a custom G20

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...=1#post1092023
tilefish is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 629
115 Members
514 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31