SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 21:07   #1
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Aviation Headsets

I am taking a local EAA club ground school and am looking into buying some of the equipment I'll need once I start taking some dual.

Not really knowing one brand from another, I was attracted to the Sordin (MSA) headsets I am finding as I am familiar with the same set used for shooting.

Sordin (MSA) headsets appear to come with Lemo (6 pin) connectors, but I understand what I will really need/want is a headset with dual plugs (PJ-055 and PJ-068)

Can I get converter device, or I am barking up the wrong tree...

What suggestions do you have for aviation headsets?

Thanks!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17   #2
A6Gator

Not sure what kind of aircraft you're flying, but most I'm aware of have the two-plug configuration. David Clarke was the gold standard for a long time with the small plane, propeller crowd. If you're wheeling a B727 around, the Bose Aviation X or Sennheiser will work. All those are two-plug headsets.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13   #3
sourdough44

For use as a student pilot I'd just look to ebay for a slightly used David Clark H10-13.4 or similar headset, 10-60, even an older 10-30. Yes, you want the dual plug in .
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 19:05   #4
3859t

David Clark H10-13.4 are the preferred standard for ruggedness and simplicity. You can't go wrong with these. Lots of folks have switched to electronic noise canceling phones, but they require batteries which always die when you need them.
3859t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 22:20   #5
sns3guppy

Quote:
Can I get converter device, or I am barking up the wrong tree...
You're definitely barking up the wrong tree.

Get an aviation headset, or you'll have impedence problems and difficulty hearing and transmitting. You'll also have difficulties with intercom systems.

Bose is an excellent maker of aviation headsets. The newer A20 is one of the best headsets on the market. They're expensive, but they work very well, provide excellent communications, and make hearing other traffic and controllers easy.

If you're not certain how far you'll take your flying, a basic, inexpensive passive headset like a Flightcom or David Clark will work just fine.

Some of us who have experienced a fair amount of hearing loss over the years need all the help we can get.

If you're going to use a passive headset like a standard DC, then get the Oregon Aero Hush kit; the earcup foam, mike muff, ear seals, and headband. It makes a world of difference in head-clamp type headsets.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 22:24   #6
dsa1115

I have Lightspeed headsets. Not sure the model but they are excellent.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:32   #7
sns3guppy

I have a pair of lightspeeds. They fell apart just after takeoff one day. Literally. The plastic headband simply failed while sitting on my head. I had a roll of electrical tape in my flight suit, and taped it back together to finish the mission. I overnighted it to lightspeed, and they overnighted it back, repaired.

They were comfortable, but they couldn't keep up with the noise when at full power on takeoff. The rest of the time they were okay, however.

I never had that problem with Bose.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:53   #8
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I've got a SoftCom, a FlightCom, a Sennheiser, and one of some other el-cheapo brand, the name of which escapes me right now. I never did get a Dave Clark like everyone told me to do, but I've been really happy with all of mine except for the nameless cheap one. None of mine are noise canceling, just passive, but I'm told by people who have heard me on the radio that the Sennheiser sure must have a really good mic on it because they say I sound really clear and undistorted on that one most of all - which makes sense since Sennheiser has been making about the worlds best studio recording mic's for decades. The Sennheiser is also the most light weight one I have (by far) and the most comfortable to wear for a long time. It's my favorite and the brand I'd buy more of in a minute if I ever need to replace any of the others.

And sns3guppy was absolutely right about the impedance issue if you try to adapt another kind of headset to an airplane intercom. Mechanically adapting it won't do the trick. Aviation intercoms have different impedance and require headsets made just for them if you want them to work right.

Oh. Almost forgot my most important advice concerning airplane stuff: After you get your powered license - assuming your a guy who's in this to try to feel like a bird, rather than an airborne bus driver - go to a glider port and earn your glider rating in a really high performance sailplane with long skinny wings. It's the most fun thing you can fly. Get into that, and you'll throw rocks at any plane with an engine on it from then on - I'm not kidding. And you won't need the headset when you fly.

Last edited by Brian Lee; 01-26-2013 at 22:01..
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 13:18   #9
rv4driver

I've got a Bose X that I'm not using anymore, I'd be glad to sell it as I'm not flying anymore. I think I've still got a Lightspeed, too.
PM me if interested

Jeff
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 13:24   #10
lowflyer
Capitalist

I fly with Lightspeed Zulus for the last three years. No problems at all. For the first 10 years, I flew with David Clarks. Also a great headset maker. Active noise-cancelling is the only way to go for me.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote