Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:56   #1
vandros
10mm fan

Does attaching light negatively affect polymer gun performance?

Hi there! After watching this vid
that shows just how much polymer frame of Glock flexes, I started to wonder how attaching lights might impact gun reliability and performance. I've asked our local gunsmith, and he said that, yes, lights attached to Glock polymer frames can sometimes result in failure to eject or even double feeds.

The metal clamps of my TLR-1 very firmly grab my g29 frame, which without a doubt reduces frame flexing. I wonder what's everyone's experience has been with this? Do you notice any weird behavior in your Glocks when attaching lights to it? Does Glock Co. test their guns with lights attached as extensively as guns without any attachments?

Last edited by vandros; 01-21-2013 at 12:30..
vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18   #2
uaengineer

Well you should put several hundred rounds downrange in your gun with your light installed to ensure it reliably functions. If I'm not mistaken the issue used to be with Gen 3 G22's primarily? My G21 runs flawlessly with a TLR-1s or X300.
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41   #3

when shooting 40 through a gen3 32C with my surefire x300, i noticed an unacceptable amount of FTF...maybe 2 or three per mag....i installed wolf +10% mag springs which helped some....also had to experiment with different RSAs....it's much better now, but i still get a FTF once in a while....but i don't carry 40 for SD or i'd be really hacked...it's just to switch things up at the range when i get bored of 357 or 9.... i mean, i guess i should be hacked to begin with seeing as the gun was designed for an attachment and it isn't working 100% with a light attached, but not every gen3 full frame/compact had that issue....i just got 'lucky'.....
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40   #4
maestrogustav

My G22gen4 is perfect with 100rds so far.

It was indeed the G22gen3s that were known to have issues.

I would like to know if there is any sign of issues with genes.
maestrogustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45   #5
maestrogustav

That video is pretty bad; is there no ejector in the gun?

Also I don't get the point of the various numbers of rounds in the mag

Also 24601 what's an acceptable number of FTFs?
maestrogustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09   #6
vandros
10mm fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrogustav View Post

Also I don't get the point of the various numbers of rounds in the mag

Yes, I think the ejector was taken out. I think the slo mo glock operation in hi def is pretty neat to see. I never thought the frame flexes nearly as much as it actually does in the vid.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21   #7

Quote:

well, i guess my wording was off....FTF shouldn't be acceptable for a carry gun, but I don't carry 40...i use 357....a couple FTF here when i swap out barrels to shoot 40 at the range is fine with me because i gives me extra practice for clearing malfunctions...sometimes i intentionally buy really crappy ammo and head out to the range just for the malfunction practice....so that's what i meant....
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 16:14   #8
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
That's what I was about to post - it has to be missing or broken.

On the Youtube page, the guys says it wouldn't eject because of the adjustment of the ransome rest, but that slide went all the way back without the brass ever touching an ejector, so I think he's wrong.

Last edited by Bren; 01-23-2013 at 16:19..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:12   #9
Kcolg

Definately an issue with lights attached. Our Dept. has been working with our regions Glock Rep on the issues. And I know two other Depts. next door have had issues as well. All with Glock .40 both Gen 3 and 4. We have Gen 3's and its not every gun but about half of them. It ejects fine but shoves the next round nose down into the mag causing the slide to either hang up or close with an empty chamber. It's always between rounds 3 and 7 that it does it. One of the other Depts that had the same problems upgraded to Gen 4's for a $50 price difference just over a year ago and now that some of the guns are hitting 500 to 1k rounds they are having the issue again. Glock Rep tried new guide rods and it still failed, put new mag springs in and worked until the 3rd time being loaded then it failed again (may spring had shrunk down like the old ones we swapped out. Glock Rep then opened up a new Gen 4 he had and on the 3rd mag it had a jam with a light. We use Streamlight TLR-1 and 2 and the old M3 and all caused jams. Glock Rep is at a lose and we are debating going to 9mm except for the reports of brass to the face. All work fine with no light. But we've spent a lot of $ on lights and holsters for both street and SRT. At this point Glock says the weight on the end speeds up the slide and it doesn't pick up the next round or violently (their word) shoves it down into the magazine causing a nose down jam.

Last edited by Kcolg; 01-21-2013 at 10:16..
Kcolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04   #10
uaengineer

Are there any reports out there on this happening with other brands like XD40 or M&P40? Seems like Glock needs to take a look at their RSA for the 40's if they're going to keep the same size and weight profile as the 9mm's and more than likely using universal mag springs. I guess an available quick fix to try is stiffer mag springs at the expense of raping your thumbs when loading your mags or either balance the weight at the back of the gun, but that's not practical unless the dept wants to make 22 round mags standard issue.
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:44   #11
Markel

I have a Glock 35/TLR-1 combo and have 1,250 rounds through it with no problems to date. I just mounted a TLR-2s, so I'll see how it compares since it is a bit heavier than the TLR-1.

Btw, about half of the rounds fired have been .40 S&W and the other half .357 SIG using a KKM barrel.
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:37   #12
got_metal

I was out today with my G22 Gen 3 and TLR-1s, specifically to test the function with the light attached. Shot 80 rounds of .40 and the first 2 rounds of the first mag both failed to feed, the rest fed fine, both slow and rapid fire. Not sure if this was a grip issue in the beginning or not. Also tried the "limp wrist" test with a full mag and it fed fine.

I also shot 80 rounds of 9mm (conversion barrel) with the light attached, no issues.

If it keeps getting a couple fails every range trip, I may try a TRL-3 instead.
got_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50   #13
GWG19

I use a Insight XML. Very small and very light weight. Cost about $40.
I have 3 of them. One was has several 1000 rounds fired with it on different guns. A SA 357 Sig XD, SA 45LE 45 Gap, Colt Rail Gun, Glock 21, Glock 34. It has not affected the functioning any. The weight on this light is closer to the trigger guard than some lights. I have tried different lights and the big thing that I noticed was how muzzle heavy they made the pistol feel. The XML has a slight increase but not much.
If you are using it for home defense or personal defense it should be fine.
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30   #14
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Zero problems with glock 23 and 22's, across tens of thousands of rounds, with M3, M3X, and TLR-1's. Using commonly available range and duty rounds. Never enountered at the range, nor talked to any other agency with problems. The TLR-1 is a much higher quality light than the M3's, but none caused any malfunctions for us. That being the case, you still should test fire your weapon with anything you plan to keep attached to it.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 01-23-2013 at 11:31..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40   #15
FLglockdude

My M&P9 has been flawless over 2500+ rounds with a TLR-1 mounted.

Sent from my Obama phone.
FLglockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 15:24   #16
raven11

My Walther P99 and Caracal F ran fine with a TLR-3 on
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 15:37   #17
NDCent
Socially Inept

1000 to 1500 rounds through gen4 G35 with tlr-2, no problems.
Old 01-23-2013, 15:42   #18
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

On a related note: I don't mount lights on my guns. If I'm trying to find out what that bump in the middle of the night was, I don't want to point a weapon at a family member or friend to recognize who's there. Light in free hand.

I don't judge you if you mount a light on your gun, just food for thought.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 16:05   #19
vandros
10mm fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
If I'm trying to find out what that bump in the middle of the night was, I don't want to point a weapon at a family member or friend to recognize who's there. Light in free hand..
I hear this argument a lot from people I respect - so you are in good company

However, I was wondering if you could point the light a bit to the side, to address this valid concern? Today's lights, like TLR/surefire/etc. seem bright enough to illuminate the entire room...

Not trying to argue - rather figure it out for myself.

Last edited by vandros; 01-23-2013 at 16:06..
vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 18:48   #20
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandros View Post

However, I was wondering if you could point the light a bit to the side, to address this valid concern? Today's lights, like TLR/surefire/etc. seem bright enough to illuminate the entire room...

What I hear is recommended is to primarily use a second flashlight. Use the weapon light when you need the other hand to do something like open a door or something.
Old 01-23-2013, 21:33   #21
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:

I deserve little respect. I am a typed opinion on the internet.

Thanks.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57   #22
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Anyone who thinks that using a weapon light requires the weapon to be pointed at the threat in order to illuminate it has no experience using weapon lights. When I was first introduced to mounted lights, I thought the same thing- great, a light that can only be used when you're pointing your gun at someone or something. That couldn't be further from the truth. Weapon lights aren't that useful for novices or anyone who has not been trained and had time to practice using them. That said, weapon lights provide significant illumination from the low ready. Threats all the way down a hallway or alley are easily identified, even with the gun pointed down at the ground, at a 45 degree-ish angle. Weapon lights do not do everything a handheld flashlight can do. But for law enforcement use or some home protection use, they can be excellent. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Quote:

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 01-29-2013 at 05:20..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 21:58   #23
DeLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Anyone who thinks that using a weapon light requires the weapon to be pointed at the threat in order to illuminate it has no experience using weapon lights. When I was first introduced to mounted lights, I thought the same thing- great, a light that can only be used when you're pointing your gun at someone or something. That couldn't be further from the truth. Weapon lights aren't that useful for novices or anyone who has not been trained and had time to practice using them. That said, weapon lights provide significant illumination from the low ready. Threats all the way down a hallway or alley are easily identified, even with the gun pointed down at the ground, at a 45 degree-ish angle. Weapon lights do not do everything a handheld flashlight can do. But for law enforcement use or some home protection use, they can be excellent. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.
So if just for low ready and not for a blinding effect then why not use a OEM Glock light? I assume the reason for the Failures is the weight of the light or the screw being to tight. Wouldn't a polymer light help both of those? Purely a question, and based on HD and not LE.
Old 03-01-2013, 22:15   #24
willy1094

Send a message via AIM to willy1094
I have a G23 and just put a TLR-1s on it. I had never had any FTFs with it but had two last time we took it to the range(WWB 150 rounds). Both times the wife was shooting so I'll have to rule out "limp wrist" but that will be a while since ammo is hard to come by.
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 15:46   #25
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Double tap. What?
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 01-23-2013 at 15:47..

Tags
malfunction, tlr-1