GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 14:07   #1
AlaJack

Why such a big price difference.. GLOCK/Sig etc..

Why is there such a big price difference between the Austrian GLOCK’s and it’s neighbors to the North the Sigs and HK’s? I don’t believe for a second Sigs and HK’s are “better” guns but I beg the question, why? On a model-to-model comparable basis, GLOCKs, Sigs, and HKs all seem relatively similar. They’re mostly made from the same materials, they’re all tough and durable, they’re all just as accurate as the other. The only noticeable difference is the method of operation – Striker vs hammer fired. Is this where the extra design costs are buried? By now though you’d think it’s an exact science. So why the disparity in prices? I could understand $100, or even $150 or so, but an average USP or new Sig is $300-400 more than a comparable GLOCK. Why?
AlaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:19   #2
SmithietheFox

Anything HK is always expensive simply because it has "HK" on it

Always looking for rare FN-FAL 50.00 rifles, German Weatherbys, and Stoner 63A parts.
SmithietheFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:29   #3
AlaJack

That was my first thought – that it was just merely the brand which made the price so much higher. But then I thought about the automobile industry. I own a late model e46 BMW, and it sells for a premium over other autos because it is in fact (to me) a better car. It rides better, handles better, feels better, has better drivetrains etc.. Since I’ve never actually fired an HK or Sig comparable to a GLOCK, would this be the reason they’re more expensive? Because they’re just more balanced, tuned, and smooth? If so, I can understand the price delta.
AlaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:54   #4
sciolist

I don't know if there's any consistency to the mark-up across brands, but there isn't much going on inside the Glock. It is a very spartan design, and very cheaply made.

Seems like Glock's main objective is to crank out disposable guns for the police market. Given that, they've done a spectacular job in terms of performance.

Personally, I'd rather have a $1500 Glock with lifetime durability, but I think Glock's idea of service life is more along the lines of 20-30K rounds.

For what it is, the Glock is a great product.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:22   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post
Personally, I'd rather have a $1500 Glock with lifetime durability, but I think Glock's idea of service life is more along the lines of 20-30K rounds.

Are you new to Glocks? Durability is one of the things they are best known for. I wasn't aware that there were even people who thought they didn't have "lifetime durability" or were "disposable" but I can tell you, you don't know much about Glocks or their history.
Old 01-30-2013, 14:24   #6
sciolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Are you new to Glocks? Durability is one of the things they are best known for. I wasn't aware that there were even people who thought they didn't have "lifetime durability" or were "disposable" but I can tell you, you don't know much about Glocks or their history.

My Production 34 lasted 2 years before the slide and frame failed. To me, that's a disposable gun. To a cop who shoots 30K rounds in his entire career maybe it's a lifetime gun.

I love the 34. Glock replaced my slide and frame. I'm not complaining - just didn't realize the durability limitations at the outset. The 34 works better for me than the CZ, XDm or M&P.

My basic point is that I personally would prefer a more durable gun at a higher cost. It took me almost a year to get the first 34 dialed in. Granted, I know where the likely problem areas are now, so that process is much easier.

I don’t expect a Glock to stand up to a decade of 30K round years, but half of that would be nice.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:48   #7
Leigh

[QUOTE=sciolist;19922097][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Personally, I'd rather have a $1500 Glock with lifetime durability, but I think Glock's idea of service life is more along the lines of 20-30K rounds.

Uh, no. Not even close.

Glocks have fired many more rounds out of ONE handgun than many other combined.

Ever hear of Chuck Taylor who put hundreds of thousands of rounds through one?

No offense, but Google is your friend.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:33   #8
dhoomonyou

Quote:
I don't know if there's any consistency to the mark-up across brands, but there isn't much going on inside the Glock. It is a very spartan design, and very cheaply made.

Seems like Glock's main objective is to crank out disposable guns for the police market. Given that, they've done a spectacular job in terms of performance.

DISPOSABLE ?
20-30k LIFE?

Respectfully i disagree

I have close to 60k rounds out of a 26.
Replaced recoil spring about every 15k, trigger spring once.
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 17:50   #9
dhoomonyou

Quote:

DISPOSABLE ?
20-30k LIFE?

Respectfully i disagree

I have close to 60k rounds out of a 26.
Replaced recoil spring about every 15k, trigger spring once.
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:12   #10
moonwilson

I can't speak for H&K, but there is a lot more machining and work that goes into say a SIG P226 than goes into making a Glock. The closest thing SIG offers to a Glock would be the SP2022, which cost around $400. I have one, and it's great. Totally comparable to a Glock in terms of fit/ finish/ materials etc. It's actually a bit more accurate than what I see out of my Glocks. It has the traditional SIG DA/SA hammer arrangement. I have no idea why H&Ks are so expensive. Probably because they are so uber-l33t and hardcore.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:17   #11
danysw

I have both Sig and Glock (not HK) and even though Glocks are the most reliable guns in the world, finishing, quality, warranty and accuracy are in Sig's favor.
Old 01-28-2013, 15:31   #12
Hand Grenade

Sigs are overpriced...overrated...overhyped pieces of junk! They have a ridiculous high bore axis and you have to spray it with rust-o-leum every day or it will rust just by looking at it. In my experience they are the most inaccurate and most unreliable pistols. Sigs will practically fall apart in water.

Between a Sig and Bryco I will take the Bryco. The DEA rejected Sig pistols and practically called them junk. Dutch government completely cancelled it's order of tens of thousands of Sig pistols because they would completely jam on the first magazine out of the box. You only paying for the name when you buy a Sig.
Old 01-28-2013, 15:39   #13
moonwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand Grenade View Post
Sigs are overpriced...overrated...overhyped pieces of junk! They have a ridiculous high bore axis and you have to spray it with rust-o-leum every day or it will rust just by looking at it. In my experience they are the most inaccurate and most unreliable pistols. Sigs will practically fall apart in water.

Between a Sig and Bryco I will take the Bryco. The DEA rejected Sig pistols and practically called them junk. Dutch government completely cancelled it's order of tens of thousands of Sig pistols because they would completely jam on the first magazine out of the box. You only paying for the name when you buy a Sig.
Um. Not sure what you're on about, if you're trolling here or what. SIG makes very fine guns indeed. I own 5 of them, and have never been even slightly displeased with any of them. I can't recall a single malfunction of any kind with any of my SIGs. They're extremely reliable and accurate in my experience. And not one of them has a spot of rust anywhere. I'd trust my life with any one of them. Glocks are good too, I have 3 of those and like them a lot too. I've always wanted an H&K, but haven't found the right one at the right price yet. By all accounts H&K makes superb weapons, though they do tend to be a bit bulky and expensive.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:49   #14
Hand Grenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwilson View Post
Um. Not sure what you're on about, if you're trolling here or what. SIG makes very fine guns indeed. I own 5 of them, and have never been even slightly displeased with any of them. I can't recall a single malfunction of any kind with any of my SIGs. They're extremely reliable and accurate in my experience. And not one of them has a spot of rust anywhere. I'd trust my life with any one of them. Glocks are good too, I have 3 of those and like them a lot too. I've always wanted an H&K, but haven't found the right one at the right price yet. By all accounts H&K makes superb weapons, though they do tend to be a bit bulky and expensive.
You keep shooting your overpriced and mile high bore axis Sig. Make sure your well trained to clear pistol jams. I'll keep shooting perfection out of my Glock.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36   #15
bac1023

Quote:
You keep shooting your overpriced and mile high bore axis Sig. Make sure your well trained to clear pistol jams. I'll keep shooting perfection out of my Glock.
Do us all a big favor and get lost...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:42   #16
danysw

Quote:
Sigs are overpriced...overrated...overhyped pieces of junk! They have a ridiculous high bore axis and you have to spray it with rust-o-leum every day or it will rust just by looking at it. In my experience they are the most inaccurate and most unreliable pistols. Sigs will practically fall apart in water. .
Are you sure you don't have a lemon? Are you sure you are talking about the same Sig Sauer that is used by all this agencies?

U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security (largest U.S. non-military contract)
U.S. Navy SEALs
U.S.Navy SWCC
U.S. Federal Air Marshals
U.S. Secret Service
U.S. Coast Guard
U.S. ATF
Federal Protective Service
Colombia: CNP 12,000 pistols; Army 800 precision rifles
France: over 250.000 SIG SAUER pistols in use by Police Nationale, Gendarmerie and Douanes
Chile PICH
British SAS
Hong Kong Police – new P250
Canadian Military (P226)
U.S. Department of State Diplomatic Security
U.S. Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS)
U.S. Army 902d Military Intelligence Group (M11)
U.S. Army Criminal Investigative Divison (CID)
USAF OSI (M11)
U.S. NAVY Aviators (M11)
8 German SEK units
Norwegian Special Forces
German Customs and Border Control
GIGN French Special Force
1/3 of all U.S. State & Local LE (Lol the other 2/3 have Glocks)

Last edited by danysw; 01-28-2013 at 15:46..
danysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:42   #17
samuse

Quote:

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:52   #18
flw

Getting back to the original post, I don't know of any real practical differences between Glock/Sig/H&K (they all make good guns) other than price and like cars- Style....

BTW- all thing made mechanical are subject to lemons now and then. Also there all designed and made by humans.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:50   #19
Leigh

Quote:
Between a Sig and Bryco I will take the Bryco.
That pretty much sums up your real-world knowledge right there.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 15:52   #20
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:

Thank you for your input Gaston.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote