Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 20:52   #1
19cohiba75

Defensive Ammo

What do you use for CCW in your Glock 20/29 ? Woods ammo protection from BIG critters ?
19cohiba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:10   #2
G29SFWTF

In my G29 I carry the Underwood 155gr XTP because it's the fastest bonded JHP available in a full power load that I know of and it's #1 in muzzle energy among the Underwood line. I generally value speed over weight in a bullet.

Also the 155gr TMJ from Underwood makes a good range/practice companion if you value practicing with what you carry because it's a little cheaper than the XTP while having almost the same speed and ME.

I'm not lucky enough to have any woods I can go exploring these days

Last edited by G29SFWTF; 01-28-2013 at 22:11..
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57   #3
gofastman

BIG critters=hardcast for me

up to 400lbs id take a 200gr Underwood XTP also
Old 01-29-2013, 16:28   #4
PLINKING.40

me also

I got my first Glock, and it is a G20, Mostly a CCW at the house, and a HogLeg when out in the bush looking for Deer, and wanted a 4 legged critter stopper, I carry Underwood 135g JHP at 1600fps, for HD and 200g hardcast for the woods, been wanting to try the Hornady CDuty or CDeffence load, Heard some good dope on those rounds..

Last edited by PLINKING.40; 01-29-2013 at 16:30..
PLINKING.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 19:51   #5
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLINKING.40 View Post
I got my first Glock, and it is a G20, Mostly a CCW at the house, and a HogLeg when out in the bush looking for Deer, and wanted a 4 legged critter stopper, I carry Underwood 135g JHP at 1600fps, for HD and 200g hardcast for the woods, been wanting to try the Hornady CDuty or CDeffence load, Heard some good dope on those rounds..
This, in California?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44   #6
PLINKING.40

Yup.! in Commiefornia, I bow Hunt and they have a lot of Mean ***** Hogs on the loose up here in the Nat. Forest, and we have a Just a few Mountain Lions and a Crap load of Yotes, that have know to rush you. Had a neiboor that looked outside to see his Kitty getting Munched by a Yote, and he opened the front door to Shoe them off and they rushed his front door growling like a Devil...Scared the crap out of him, Now he packs like most of us do up here..and there are a lot of Meth labs in the Booneys that don't want to be discoverd....
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19   #7
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLINKING.40 View Post
Yup.! in Commiefornia, I bow Hunt and they have a lot of Mean ***** Hogs on the loose up here in the Nat. Forest, and we have a Just a few Mountain Lions and a Crap load of Yotes, that have know to rush you. Had a neiboor that looked outside to see his Kitty getting Munched by a Yote, and he opened the front door to Shoe them off and they rushed his front door growling like a Devil...Scared the crap out of him, Now he packs like most of us do up here..and there are a lot of Meth labs in the Booneys that don't want to be discoverd....
I understand, as I'm a CA hunter as well. We have some fairly aggressive coyotes around here, too. I lost an old mare to a small pack (3-4) about a month ago. Cougars (the 4 legged kind) are "shoot on sight" around here, DFG be damned. Lots of big hogs here, too. They regularly plow up the pastures and ponds, and within a couple dozen yards of the house (and they keep the freezer full). Got meth labs and pot gardens around here, too.

The reason for the question is, you didn't mention a hunting load, which is very different than defense loads, in most of CA. Except in the extreme north of the state, none of the bullets you listed are acceptable for hunting, or having within reach while hunting. And, as a bow hunter, you know that having any firearm while hunting is a huge no-no, regardless of what "other" critters you may encounter.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10   #8
Slateman

Gold Dots
Slateman is offline   Reply With Quote