Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25   #1
ticshooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Hey guys. I'm an enthusiast of both pistols but thought I would ask the same question here as I did on the 1911 Forum.

Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning? I understand John Browning's accomplishmets with his designs but I also understand Gaston Glocks with his. Browning's designs have been around for over 100 years but it looks like Gaston's designs may be the design of the future if it already isn't.. I'm not partial to either design because I own and enjoy them both. I'm just wondering if you think Gaston and Browning are on the same level and why?

Last edited by ticshooter; 02-08-2013 at 19:41..
ticshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:32   #2
RyanBDawg
Senior Member
 
RyanBDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ooltewah Tennessee
Posts: 4,213
No. John Browning was a firearms master. His designs were radically apart from anything else being done in his day. He came as close to re-inventing firearms as anyone in history has. His lock-breech design is used in virtually every semi-auto pistol to this day, including Glock.


Gaston Glock is a toolmaker who made a fantastic, and utterly reliable tool which shoots bullets. I would say Gaston's most important contribution has been in materials which pistols (now) are made out of, and precision manufacturing.
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry

Last edited by RyanBDawg; 02-07-2013 at 03:36..
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12   #3
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo
 
Three-Five-Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
No. John Browning was a firearms master. His designs were radically apart from anything else being done in his day. He came as close to re-inventing firearms as anyone in history has. His lock-breech design is used in virtually every semi-auto pistol to this day, including Glock.


Gaston Glock is a toolmaker who made a fantastic, and utterly reliable tool which shoots bullets. I would say Gaston's most important contribution has been in materials which pistols (now) are made out of, and precision manufacturing.
+1 What he said!
__________________
That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)
Three-Five-Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 16:46   #4
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
No. John Browning was a firearms master. His designs were radically apart from anything else being done in his day. He came as close to re-inventing firearms as anyone in history has. His lock-breech design is used in virtually every semi-auto pistol to this day, including Glock.


Gaston Glock is a toolmaker who made a fantastic, and utterly reliable tool which shoots bullets. I would say Gaston's most important contribution has been in materials which pistols (now) are made out of, and precision manufacturing.
That about covers it, but.....

Forget about the 1911. Look at the other Browning designs to see why Browning was a master.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:06   #5
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL
 
ilgunguygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Peoples Republic Of Illinois
Posts: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
No. John Browning was a firearms master. His designs were radically apart from anything else being done in his day. He came as close to re-inventing firearms as anyone in history has. His lock-breech design is used in virtually every semi-auto pistol to this day, including Glock.


Gaston Glock is a toolmaker who made a fantastic, and utterly reliable tool which shoots bullets. I would say Gaston's most important contribution has been in materials which pistols (now) are made out of, and precision manufacturing.
Not really. Glock missed making the first plastic firearm by many years. Everyone talks about innovation, but it wasnt really that innovative.
__________________
***RIP Okie, GT will never be the same without you Mr Mayor!***
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:46   #6
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 93,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
Gaston Glock is a toolmaker who made a fantastic, and utterly reliable tool which shoots bullets. I would say Gaston's most important contribution has been in materials which pistols (now) are made out of, and precision manufacturing.
GG did not invent the polymer pistol. HK built the designed the first polymer frame pistol a good decade before.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 00:28   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,779


Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
GG did not invent the polymer pistol. HK built the designed the first polymer frame pistol a good decade before.
And before that, Colt, Remington and a host of others have used hardened resins and Bakelites for grip panels. Plastic ain't new when it comes to being used for gun parts.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:35   #8
DAIadvisor
Senior Member
 
DAIadvisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kettering, OH
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
....I would say Gaston's most important contribution has been in materials which pistols (now) are made out of, and precision manufacturing.
Actually Hk was the first to introduce polymer framed guns, NOT Glock. Glock just made it popular.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:47   #9
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIadvisor View Post
Actually Hk was the first to introduce polymer framed guns, NOT Glock. Glock just made it popular.
And they got the idea from the Remington XP-100 which proved synthetics would work
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:50   #10
Grabbrass
Senior Member
 
Grabbrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 3,908
Gaston Glock is more accurately analogous to Henry Ford than Browning. He didn't really invent anything, he just refined existing technology into a simpler (and cheaper to produce) form using modern materials.
__________________
All the best foods are brown. Or golden brown.
Grabbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 00:52   #11
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL
 
ilgunguygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Peoples Republic Of Illinois
Posts: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbrass View Post
Gaston Glock is more accurately analogous to Henry Ford than Browning. He didn't really invent anything, he just refined existing technology into a simpler (and cheaper to produce) form using modern materials.
I could see that analogy a lot better. Ford didnt invent the internal combustion engine, or the car, but he did make an affordable version. It was also available in your choice of colors, as long as it was black.
__________________
***RIP Okie, GT will never be the same without you Mr Mayor!***
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27   #12
LawScholar
Senior Member
 
LawScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,152
Yes.

In the field of curtain rods.

Joking aside, the Glock is a great gun, but Glock is first and foremost a businessman, whereas JMB was an absolute prodigy in firearms design. He was instrumental in reshaping how guns were made.

Glock just figured out how to make a strong, simple, reliable design very inexpensively. Whether you're selling guns, floss, car parts, or IKEA furniture, that's a recipe for success.

As the above poster noted, the Glock operates on Browning principles. That ought to answer it right there.
__________________
Beretta PX4 .40 - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc.- Ruger LCP .380 - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington Express Tactical 870 12GA

Last edited by LawScholar; 02-07-2013 at 04:47..
LawScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31   #13
RyanBDawg
Senior Member
 
RyanBDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ooltewah Tennessee
Posts: 4,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
Yes.

In the field of curtain rods.

Joking aside, the Glock is a great gun, but Glock is first and foremost a businessman, whereas JMB was an absolute prodigy in firearms design. He was instrumental in reshaping how guns were made.

Glock just figured out how to make a strong, simple, reliable design very inexpensively. Whether you're sellinv guns, floss, car parts, or IKEA furniture, that's a recipe for success.

As the above poster noted, the Glock operates on Browning principles. That ought to answer it right there.
Yep, in the field of firearms design, its John Moses Browning first, and then everyone else.
__________________
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:49   #14
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member
 
TKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Just another ball of mud.
Posts: 3,282
I think this myth has been busted....
__________________
Hey, I've been in a firefight before!
Well, I was in a fire.
Actually, I was fired from a fry-cook opportunity.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54   #15
Taphius
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 713
I view Glock much like Apple. Took a lot of ideas from other items and combined them into a good product. Except Apple has more mark up.

They both pretty much sit on the design that made them successful and are failing to innovate further.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
I view Glock much like Apple. Took a lot of ideas from other items and combined them into a good product. Except Apple has more mark up.

They both pretty much sit on the design that made them successful and are failing to innovate further.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Abso-freaking-lutely.

As got comparing Glock to Browning..... it's not even close. Wake me up when Glock designs a radically new shotgun, improved heavy and medium machine guns, a couple more handguns, and a cartridge more useful than .45GAP.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 19:37   #17
R*E
Senior Member
 
R*E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
I view Glock much like Apple. Took a lot of ideas from other items and combined them into a good product. Except Apple has more mark up.

They both pretty much sit on the design that made them successful and are failing to innovate further.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Puh-leeze. Glock is a one trick pony.
R*E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07   #18
Pier23
Senior Member
 
Pier23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by R*E View Post
Puh-leeze. Glock is a one trick pony.
Which is the brilliance of Glocks...now , I am Glock neutral...have them but they don't excite me. i carry them but don't necessarily enjoy them.

Fire one Glock and you have fired them all. You move from model to model with very little effort. The single stack Glock makes sense ONLY if the slide is slimmed down, and I don't see that happening. Glocks are not concealment pistols, they are duty sidearm pistols.

Ruger Nano has taken the Glock modular approach a step further by allowing you to pull out the chassis and put all the go-bang parts into another frame. Be interesting to see if this is a reasonable sales differentiator or if any true benefit is found in this.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:11   #19
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Which is the brilliance of Glocks...now , I am Glock neutral...have them but they don't excite me. i carry them but don't necessarily enjoy them.

Fire one Glock and you have fired them all. You move from model to model with very little effort. The single stack Glock makes sense ONLY if the slide is slimmed down, and I don't see that happening. Glocks are not concealment pistols, they are duty sidearm pistols.

.
You could say the same thing about High-Point, but at least they manage to make a carbine
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:00   #20
joecoastie
Senior Member
 
joecoastie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You could say the same thing about High-Point, but at least they manage to make a carbine
__________________
--------------------------------
USCG, Saving Lives On A Budget.
joecoastie is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:19.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,181
344 Members
837 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31