GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23   #1
bandooker

Advantage Arms 22LR Conversion Kits for G23 Gen4 and G27 experience?

Hi all.
I have purchased and am waiting on delivery for the G23 Gen4 and G27 Advantage Arms conversion kits so I can shoot 22LR for practice and still keep the same format of firearm that I will be using for carry for myself and the wife.

Does anyone have experience with them?

I was able to find a boatload of Federal Champion Bulk 550 bricks of 22LR in Walmart so I stocked up in advance on about 6 boxes worth. Now I am being told that this stuff may not shoot too well in the AA conversion slides...
Any experience with this ammo in the AA?

Any other input or feedback on what you think I will likely expect in terms of user experience would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind dealing with a few hiccups here and there at the range and certainly don't expect it to be 100% reliable without a few FTF/FTE scenarios but I am just hoping that I am not setting myself up for a completely frustrating experience with these.

I was going to buy Ruger SR22's for practice but decided to go this route so that I could keep the same form factor of my carry Glocks instead of a totally different feel of the Ruger during practice at the range.

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Any tweaks that can be done to the factory AA Conversion slide and upper to make it more reliable and trouble free ?

Thanks again
bandooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34   #2
Dave.1

Here's a link to the recommended ammo.
http://advantagearms.hostasaurus.com...GLKRecommended

Try the stuff you have, it may well work. The one that works best in my kits is Remington Golden Bullets. I seldom have failures with that round even though most folks hate it.

I've had three AA kits for a while now, got my first in 2010 and have many K rounds thru all of them.

I usually shoot any where from 50 to 100 rounds per session. Helps with grip, trigger control and aim. Then I finish with 30 to 50 rounds of regular range ammo. In my case 9mm. Also throw in some carry ammo.

Good luck with the ammo. The kits are a good investment.

Edit: Welcome to the Forum!

Dave

Last edited by Dave.1; 02-12-2013 at 12:37..
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:16   #3
ken grant

I have 5 AA Kits, a 1911 and 4 Glock.
None of them worked well with Federal or Winchester Bulk.

I bought an older 19/23 AA Kit with the old type magazines and the guy I bought it from said it would work with Federal Bulk and it did.
While at the range I tried my original 19/23 with the Federal Bulk ammo and it worked great as well.
It didn't when I got it but after 1000's of Rem. G.B. and Mini-Mags, it does now.

Have not tried my other kits with Federal's as none of them has been fired much.

Last edited by ken grant; 02-12-2013 at 13:17..
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:22   #4
Dave.1

Here's a link to a magazine modification that says will help your AA kit work with any ammo.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=430146

I haven't tried this because mine work well with the RGBs that I get locally, but if your kit is finicky give it a try.

Dave
Old 02-12-2013, 17:23   #5
bandooker

Thanks Dave! This is definitely something I will be looking for when I get my kits. Maybe because mine will be so new they might already have the factory modified mag lips from AA...We'll see. If not, this mod looks easy enough and something I am confident I can handle very easily with my dremel and tools.
And point is, the mag is only $25 and readily available so I am definitely willing to experiment with one of them as much as possible to see if I can get it to eat everything including all the Walmart Federal 525 Bulkpacks I already stocked up on.

Can't wait to try the conversion kits out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.1 View Post
Here's a link to a magazine modification that says will help your AA kit work with any ammo.
[URL]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=430146[/URL]

I haven't tried this because mine work well with the RGBs that I get locally, but if your kit is finicky give it a try.

Dave

Last edited by bandooker; 02-12-2013 at 17:27..
Old 02-12-2013, 16:14   #6
pjstreng

AA 22LR conversion kit

I have one for my Gen4 23 and use it often. It does not function well with the Federal bulk ammo sold at Walmart. CCI minimags and Remington Golden bullet work very well.
pjstreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:40   #7
Dave.1

Glad to help.

Let us know how it works out, or if you even need the mods with newer mags.

Dave
Old 02-12-2013, 22:00   #8
dimitrir

They are so expensive - why not simply get a dedicated .22 pistol instead ?
dimitrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22   #9
Dave.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post
They are so expensive - why not simply get a dedicated .22 pistol instead ?
Many people say that and the answer is that you want to train cheaply with a Glock.

I know quite a few competitive shooters that use conversion kits for everything from Beretta to Sig. None of them are cheap but they give you the feel of the pistol you'll be using for competition or self defense.

Dave
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39   #10
bandooker

I agree totally with Dave1 and Chrisbroz. This is exactly why I bought mine for both the G27 and the G23. Simply to keep the exact format of firearm and grip as my carry gun to train with more economically. To me, nothing beats being totally in tune with your everyday carry in all respects while saving on ammo and being able to shoot a LOT more rounds at the range. I was totally on the fence as regards getting this or a Ruger SR22 and this won out in the end for me to get the AA kits. I may still down the road pickup the SR22 to have fun with while at range with the kids...
I really see no downside at all to having the AA kits ONCE I can get them tweaked and tuned to accept "most" 22LR and run relatively reliable instead of having a frustrating experience with them. The only reason I would give up and sell them and get the SR22 is if I absolutely can't tune them to run reliably and I start getting frustrated. Then bye bye it goes as the hassle and headache will remove any training benefit and fun.
Hoping for the best once I get them and run them and eventually play around tweaking them so they are smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.1 View Post
Many people say that and the answer is that you want to train cheaply with a Glock.

I know quite a few competitive shooters that use conversion kits for everything from Beretta to Sig. None of them are cheap but they give you the feel of the pistol you'll be using for competition or self defense.

Dave

Last edited by bandooker; 02-13-2013 at 07:40..
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23   #11
chrisbroz

I have plenty of 'dedicated .22LR pistols; I LIKE the option of having a .22 LR conversion for general plinking or instructing someone in the usage of the particular pistol....1911, Glock, etc. I have dedicated .22 LR upper for my AR - made back when dedicated .22 uppers were not on he market - it was made by Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks in AZ in the mid 90s from a Ceiner conversion kit.

CB in FL
chrisbroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 23:17   #12
Cole125
Silver Membership

I have a Advantage Arms .22 kit for my Glock 19, and I am happy with it. You must stick to the suggested ammo list, mine runs fine with Remington Golden Bullet and CCI Minimags. Federal is not known to work in most kits.

.22 lr ammo is going to be very hard to come by for the next 6 months, while you will have a much easier time finding .40. My 2 cents is unless you already have lots of CCI Minimags or Remington Golden bullets I would skip the conversion kit for now and use the money for .40 ammo.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58   #13
LampShadeActual

Federal .22LR rimfire cases and the CCI Blazer Bulk with an "F" on the head are made by Federal. The Federal .22s are specifically not recommended as they are so soft they stick to the chambers of the AA kits and do not extract/eject in dwell cycle times. They are probably the worst ammo you could pick.

Stick to the recommended ammos CCI MiniMag 40RN being the best and CCI Blazer 40RN packed in 50 boxes by CCI with a "C" stamp on the head are the best.

There is nothing to tweak, dick with, change, or fool with in the AA kits. Keep them clean, heavily oiled, and they will run well using the recommended ammo.

Do not ever dry fire them except for disassembly. The damage to the firing pin quickly makes them function poorly.

Last edited by LampShadeActual; 02-13-2013 at 09:00..
LampShadeActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40   #14
Dave.1

I use these anchors for dry fire when I disassemble my AA kits.
General Glocking

You probably don't need to but I had to replace a rounded over striker after about 13K rounds. It was getting dull and causing more failures than even RGBs should have.

Dave