SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 15:45   #1
jlbeasley1976
Southern BTGOG

Moisture Reduction for Ammo Storage

I can't really guarantee this works but I figure if the pharmaceutical companies have faith in it, I'll try it. I store all of my reloads in 1 gallon jugs w/ resealable lids and I place 2 or 3 of the small silica packs that you find in aspirin bottles and what not in the jugs. Also put a couple in each container of powder. And lastly, being as I leave unused powder in my powder drop, I place one in there as well ( for this I actually use the silica pack out of Excedrin. It is in the hard plastic container as opposed to the paper packs. I've found that the hard cased type actually floats on top of the powder so you don't have to worry about it messing up measurements).
One last thing, next time you're in a convenience store, go to the candy isle and look in the bottom of candy-filled toys, i.e. toy cars, clapping monkeys, kid sunglasses, etc. and you can find the larger silica packs.
Like I said, don't know if this helps reduce moisture, but it can't really hurt.
jlbeasley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:33   #2
Kentguy

To store my ammunition I use dry boxes (ammo cans) that you can pick up from $10 @ walmart to $17-$18 @ Cabel's. Drop in several of these and call it a decade!

Last edited by Kentguy; 02-16-2013 at 18:35..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 22:43   #3
PCJim

My finished rounds are stored in military ammo cans, sans desiccants. The primers and powder that I have on hand are not stored in sealed packages with desiccants, so I don't see the need for doing so with finished ammo.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24   #4
Kentguy

PCJim... "don't know if this helps reduce moisture, but it can't really hurt."

Just to add a few comments to my previous post, I do something similar as you described in all of your above comments. Those little moisture packs do work when trying to keep all of your components dry.

I you want to find those moisture packets for FREE, stop in at your local Dicks Sporting Goods store or any large Shoe store and just ask for them. I asked they what they do with them they told me that when they take the shoes out of the box for display - they just throw them away, and If I wanted I could have all a wanted!

Give it a try and save some bucks.

My shop is relatively new and dry but I do run a dehumidifier as well. I feel that anything you can to to ensure your shop/storage area is cool & dry for short or long term storage is going to be a real plus for you.

Thanks for the post Jim.