Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 20:21   #1
chewybaca67

Send a message via AIM to chewybaca67 Send a message via Yahoo to chewybaca67
What Made You Jump Aboard The Glock Bandwagon?

And when?

For me? It was 2001 I think. When it came to 9mm autos, I was (and still am) a Taurus PT-92 fanboy. Yeah, I know, Beretta's are the original, but after having a Beretta 92 also, I just preferred the decocker, safety on the frame, and cocked and locked option of the Taurus 92. I had a Kimber 1911 and H&K USP 45, as well as some revolvers in my corral too.

But as I became more experienced with reloading, I became more interested in 40 S&W caliber. I got a free Annual Glock magazine and really became impressed with their torture testing stuff they had all over the mags. Remember, this is 2002. Not nearly as many fire arms co. then and not many torture testing on autos in gun mag ads and such. Plus I was in my 30s and still a bit impressionable.....(which I'll saying about my 40s when I'm in my 50s.....if I'm lucky).

Got my first 3rd Gen G-22 with a couple of pre Slick Willie ban magazines (a rare thing for Glocks then in my parts). What really sold me was the simplicity and utilitarian flavor of Glocks. And then all the after market stuff came pouring in from conversion barrels, trigger options, affordable Night Sights, rail lights become more popular, then 2004 came and the Clinton ban sunseted. I had a couple of glocks by then, but that's when I really stocked up on mags and different models. I've had about 10 various glocks since then and I can honestly say not one of them has ever had a FTF or FTE that was not due to my reloads. And even then were talkin' single digits in the last 16 years of reloading. Anyway, back to work.

Last edited by chewybaca67; 02-19-2013 at 22:54..
chewybaca67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:28   #2
BMiracletx

For me it was around 1997 or 1998... I wanted to get my frist 40SW... and got a G23. Went downhill from there and now I have 21 Glocks!
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:28   #3
XDRoX

It's like a Toyota. But it's a gun.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 20:41   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 16:29   #5
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:

For me its like a BMW. Buts its a Gun
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 13:54   #6
Bigpoppie50

Quote:
Me too and I have had 3 4Runners including the one I have now.
Bigpoppie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 14:02   #7
racine

Quote:
I got my 1st 19 in '88 with many to follow but my 35 that I got in '98 is still running in USPSA with close to 200,000 rounds of reloads and ~1000 of factory ammo. My Toy 4Rnner is a '97 with 275,000 miles and more to go before I sleep. It just runs and goes boom each and every time...
racine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:37   #8
ewxlt66

My first gun was a S&W Sigma 9mm.

I thought I was just a loser who wasn't improving...but then I learned that the Sigma has a 12lb!!!!! trigger pull.

Rented a Glock and suddenly my groups were 8" smaller! Sold the Sigma and jumped to G17. Glock soon became like Apple products are to me. Slick, easy to use and always work the way they are supposed to.
ewxlt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 13:04   #9
mando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewxlt66 View Post
My first gun was a S&W Sigma 9mm.

I thought I was just a loser who wasn't improving...but then I learned that the Sigma has a 12lb!!!!! trigger pull.

Rented a Glock and suddenly my groups were 8" smaller! Sold the Sigma and jumped to G17. Glock soon became like Apple products are to me. Slick, easy to use and always work the way they are supposed to.
same thing happened to me, I had a sigma 9mm (not the new version) and i hated the trigger pull, i was still okay with it but couldnt explain my accuracy. My cousin got a g19 gen4 and let me shoot it and it was amazing. Within a month after I shot that glock i sold my sigma and bought a g23 gen 4. I love it.
mando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:37   #10
fat paul

I was a sig shooter for many years. I have multiple sclerosis and a progressive weakness. The double action trigger pull became increasingly hard to manage. My wife (a retired LEO) is a glock junky. She suggested that I try the glock g19. Now the glock is my preferred platform untill I cannot work the slide, then I will look toward a revolver. Adapt and overcome.
fat paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:46   #11
MrCowboy99

reliable
Old 02-19-2013, 20:53   #12
Smooth_squeeze

An Army Ranger sniper, who told me if he could only have one handgun it'd be a Glock (and not a Sig) in 9mm (and not 45).

Gave me the reasons why, too.

Long story short, I bought a G17, Gen 3. Plenty of mods later, it's a keeper, that's for sure.

Smooth_squeeze
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:02   #13
nightstalker865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_squeeze View Post
An Army Ranger sniper, who told me if he could only have one handgun it'd be a Glock (and not a Sig) in 9mm (and not 45).

Gave me the reasons why, too.

Long story short, I bought a G17, Gen 3. Plenty of mods later, it's a keeper, that's for sure.

Smooth_squeeze
That's interesting because G22's and G23's are what's issued to teams. What were his reasons? Is he currently in Batt?

G17's are awesome guns don't get me wrong. I just really like the .40 round after using it so long.

Last edited by nightstalker865; 02-19-2013 at 21:02..
nightstalker865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:18   #14
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker865 View Post
That's interesting because G22's and G23's are what's issued to teams. What were his reasons? Is he currently in Batt?

G17's are awesome guns don't get me wrong. I just really like the .40 round after using it so long.
He probably owns something on the order of 15 handguns, from what I've seen. There could be many more he didn't bring out.

Here's how the Q&A went, or at least, something like this:

Me: "If you could only own one handgun, what would it be?"

Him: "Glock."

Me: "You don't like Sig??

Him: "Glock."

Me: "What caliber?"

Him: "9."

Me: "You don't like 45?"

Him: "Oh, yeah. But I like 9 for target reaquisition on second and subsequent shots."

There you have it. BTW, he served on 7 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, with close to 400 missions. Every time he'd come back home, he'd buy another 45. On his nightstand he has a Para 45 with tritium sights, a laser, and flash light. Why? Well, there's the intimidation factor.

He has several Glocks. Probably four G17's, a G34, a Kel Tec 380, and the others I've forgotten. Has an FN 5.7. I didn't try to memorize all the stuff he and his father (retired Army Colonel) have.

Also, he left the Army voluntarily due to the homosexuals in the military issue. Was in for a good number of years. While the homosexual issue was a big one for him, he told me it wasn't the only issue, but it was a major one.
Old 02-19-2013, 21:40   #15
BMiracletx

Quote:
Also, he left the Army voluntarily due to the homosexuals in the military issue. Was in for a good number of years. While the homosexual issue was a big one for him, he told me it wasn't the only issue, but it was a major one.
I have been in the Air Force for 19 1/2 years... I haven't heard of anyone getting out for that reason. After 7 tours in Irag/Afghan, I bet that there is something else going on like PTSD or something. I think the homosexual thing was just easier for him to say.

Just my $.02
Old 02-19-2013, 22:09   #16
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracletx View Post
I have been in the Air Force for 19 1/2 years... I haven't heard of anyone getting out for that reason. After 7 tours in Irag/Afghan, I bet that there is something else going on like PTSD or something. I think the homosexual thing was just easier for him to say.

Just my $.02
Your opinion on this is invaluable to me, thank you for it! And thank you for your service!

Actually, I know him well. He is a very religious Catholic. And, IMHO, he is the kind who someone would hit on. If that were to happen, and if it were a man, and he is a man, he would clock the sucker! And then be in the brig! Non-starter, from my perspective. Thus he got out. How do I know? Let's just say I know. Also, just because YOU haven't heard anything about people getting out, do you have an inside connection to know about this stuff? This is very politically incorrect stuff these days. Not exactly the kind of thing that social scientists are writing scholarly articles about. And I'm not about to give too many details about this friend, not a chance.

PTSD, huh? I won't rule it out, but certainly don't consider it a probability. He seems perfectly normal to me.

Smooth_squeeze
Old 02-19-2013, 22:23   #17
multo17

The first time I held a Glock, G17, it was 1988 or 89 in Houston, TX where I had lived for many years! Fast forward to 2010, where I first bought my G30 (born 2007) and then never looked back! It's just a great gun & maintaining it, stripping it down to it's last part was one that really sold me to it! Of course the reliabilty & to find parts cheap, to customize, & to service it yourself, you can't beat that! I could see myself a Glock Lifer! Life is Good!

G23,G27,G19FDE,G22OD,G33,G23NIBX,G26NIBX,G20NIBX,G17NIBX - Gen4
multo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 22:30   #18
BMiracletx

Quote:
Your opinion on this is invaluable to me, thank you for it! And thank you for your service!

Actually, I know him well. He is a very religious Catholic. And, IMHO, he is the kind who someone would hit on. If that were to happen, and if it were a man, and he is a man, he would clock the sucker! And then be in the brig! Non-starter, from my perspective. Thus he got out. How do I know? Let's just say I know. Also, just because YOU haven't heard anything about people getting out, do you have an inside connection to know about this stuff? This is very politically incorrect stuff these days. Not exactly the kind of thing that social scientists are writing scholarly articles about. And I'm not about to give too many details about this friend, not a chance.

PTSD, huh? I won't rule it out, but certainly don't consider it a probability. He seems perfectly normal to me.

Smooth_squeeze
Based on this, then perhaps you are correct... he might have ended up in jail. Just because I personally haven't heard of anyone does not mean people haven't. As for PTSD... never rule it out. My first 10 1/2 years I was enlisted and saw some things that I still don't like to talk about. My last 9 years have been on the officer side of things and am now fixing folks. I am a doc now and see/treat people with PTSD all the time. The funny thing is that most of them seem perfectly normal on the exterior. The military (and especially the sniper corps) teach their folks to compartmentalize their emotions. Either way, sounds like you are a good friend and he is doing okay.

Enough of this talk... back to Glockin'!!! I have 21 Glocks and I have to agree with your friend. My 17, 19, and 34 see the most rounds in my arsenal.
Old 02-19-2013, 22:47   #19
GLOCK19FTW

For me, the built-in safeties, reliability, and the high-cap mags were the deciding factor.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 22:09   #20
11BTaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker865 View Post

When I left Batt G19's were in stock, a Squadmate of mine from way back who's a Squad Leader now at 1st Batt says that Snipers are getting G23's. When I was in Batt there were enough M9's for everyone as a sidearm but most chose not carry it unless it was "a good idea" to have one (mission/task dependant).

I was an M9, loved it, got to another unit that had G19's and a small number of G26's for dudes on the teams to "play with" so I chose the G19 (like everyone else on my team), liked it - have had one (and a 26) ever since. Stated on other threads specifics that I like.... long story short, I'm comfy with it, I know it works, and I'd trust my life to it any day of the week - it's a fighting weapon!