GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 15:12   #1
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,233


Silencers on Revolvers

I was watching "The Untouchables" movie last night and I noticed a BG putting a silencer on a revolver. Yes I know it's just a movie.

However, I was curious about just how effective a silencer is on a revolver, when gasses escape via the forcing cone and the cylinder gap prior to the silencer?
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 15:17   #2
Lockback
Polymerlicious!
 
Lockback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I was watching "The Untouchables" movie last night and I noticed a BG putting a silencer on a revolver. Yes I know it's just a movie.

However, I was curious about just how effective a silencer is on a revolver, when gasses escape via the forcing cone and the cylinder gap prior to the silencer?
It's not effective, for the reason you mention.
It's a movie invention, for dramatic purposes.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 18:32   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,233


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
It's not effective, for the reason you mention.
It's a movie invention, for dramatic purposes.


Thanks. I suspected as much but I'm not an expert and my state doesn't trust me with them.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 13:26   #4
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
It's not effective, for the reason you mention.
It's a movie invention, for dramatic purposes.
They do show it a lot on old tv shows too like the old Hawaii Five O shows..revolver with a silencer.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:16   #5
Lotiki
All that is man
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, Co
Posts: 963
The nagant model 1895 revolver has a cylinder that seals against the barrel when the hammer is cocked. It is the only revolver I know of that can be effectively silenced
__________________
The Bill of Rights (void where prohibited by law)
Lotiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:19   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,233


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiki View Post
The nagant model 1895 revolver has a cylinder that seals against the barrel when the hammer is cocked. It is the only revolver I know of that can be effectively silenced


Fascinating. Thanks for the information.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 19:29   #7
tenforme
Senior Member
 
tenforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiki View Post
The nagant model 1895 revolver has a cylinder that seals against the barrel when the hammer is cocked. It is the only revolver I know of that can be effectively silenced
I think Webley made a pistol which did the same thing. I wonder if it copied the nagant?
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:36   #8
nursetim
Senior Member
 
nursetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: liberalville N. M.
Posts: 6,589
Silenced nagant video.

__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 20:44   #9
r3dot
Senior Member
 
r3dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Izzerwat
Posts: 2,414
What's a silencer? :P
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 21:06   #10
Batesmotel
Senior Member
 
Batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dot View Post
What's a silencer? :P
It's like a suppressor but only used in the movies.
__________________
If it can't get you in trouble, it's not an adventure.
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 21:16   #11
Joshhtn
Rastaman!
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dot View Post
What's a silencer? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
It's like a suppressor but only used in the movies.
Actually, Hiram Maxim, the man who invented the silencer/suppressor, originally called them "silencers" (The Maxim Silencer)...
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***
HEINRICH TREASURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 10-12-2013 at 21:17..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 20:57   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,748


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
Actually, Hiram Maxim, the man who invented the silencer/suppressor, originally called them "silencers" (The Maxim Silencer)...
Silly machine gun/firearm inventor. If he were to really know his guns & accessories, he would have called it a sound suppressor like all the cool commandos.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 21:07   #13
Joshhtn
Rastaman!
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Silly machine gun/firearm inventor. If he were to really know his guns & accessories, he would have called it a sound suppressor like all the cool commandos.
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***
HEINRICH TREASURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02   #14
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
It's like a suppressor but only used in the movies.
I usually think of it as the more common and widley understood term for what mall ninjas insist on calling a suppressor, when they are trying to sound like operators.

Correcting people on "silencer" vs. "suppressor" ranks right below correcting people on "magazine" vs. "clip" in the list of annoying habits that identify mall ninjas and gun-geeks down at the gun shop.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 17:37   #15
floored
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
It's like a suppressor but only used in the movies.
floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 21:50   #16
r3dot
Senior Member
 
r3dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Izzerwat
Posts: 2,414
There's the 'actually' guy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 22:04   #17
Joshhtn
Rastaman!
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dot View Post
There's the 'actually' guy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Just a fan of facts and history...
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***
HEINRICH TREASURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:10   #18
jockomikey
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 68
Saw a suppressor used on a revolver on T.J. Hooker. Fell of the sofa laughing... Dude used it in a grocery store and no one heard a thing.
jockomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:20   #19
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 28,661


They made a suppressor for the Webley or Enfield revolver too, it was a contraption that captured gasses from the cylinder gap as well.
__________________
...Then I found a place it's dark and it's rotted
it's a cool, sweet kinda-place where the copters won't spot it.
-T Hip
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 15:44   #20
pizza
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 290
They have to work though man...Davis used one on Magnum Force on his Colt Python. LOL!
pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23   #21
casualoffender
JAFO
 
casualoffender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 80
Didn't I also see one in "Get Smart"?
casualoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 20:56   #22
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,748


Just because you people didn't know about revolvers and silencers, it doesn't mean that the unit didn't exist.

Advantage of the silenced revolver: no ejected brass. Sure, you can modify the M1911's thumb safety to lock the slide, but then you get one round then you will have to manually eject and chamber the next round. With the silenced wheelgun, you have five, six, seven or eight rounds ready to go. More if you go with a .22LR wheelgun.

Why would you care about non-ejection, one might ask? When leaving brass behind is a big nono, that's why.

Besides the Nagant, the Ruger GP100 had been modified in the 1980s to be silence-able. It was either Knight or Robar that did it. Knight for sure did a Redhawk conversion.

So, before you people start mocking about revolvers and silencers, do some googling.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31   #23
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Just because you people didn't know about revolvers and silencers, it doesn't mean that the unit didn't exist.

Advantage of the silenced revolver: no ejected brass. Sure, you can modify the M1911's thumb safety to lock the slide, but then you get one round then you will have to manually eject and chamber the next round. With the silenced wheelgun, you have five, six, seven or eight rounds ready to go. More if you go with a .22LR wheelgun.

Why would you care about non-ejection, one might ask? When leaving brass behind is a big nono, that's why.

Besides the Nagant, the Ruger GP100 had been modified in the 1980s to be silence-able. It was either Knight or Robar that did it. Knight for sure did a Redhawk conversion.

So, before you people start mocking about revolvers and silencers, do some googling.

You're correct. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk conversion, set up as a short range sniping rifle (it had around a 10" barrel, foregrip and a bipod with a stock), suppressed, showed up in a few gun magazines in the late 80s/early 90s, and was also used as a prop in The X-Files in one episode.
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 20:31   #24
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,748


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
You're correct. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk conversion, set up as a short range sniping rifle (it had around a 10" barrel, foregrip and a bipod with a stock), suppressed, showed up in a few gun magazines in the late 80s/early 90s, and was also used as a prop in The X-Files in one episode.
Why isn't it viable? It may not be popular because the gun smithing isn't cheap, but it's viable if you have the moolah.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 20:32   #25
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,748


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
You're correct. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk conversion, set up as a short range sniping rifle (it had around a 10" barrel, foregrip and a bipod with a stock), suppressed, showed up in a few gun magazines in the late 80s/early 90s, and was also used as a prop in The X-Files in one episode.
There was even a GP100 conversion as well. Essentially any wheelguns can be converted to seal up the cylinder gap.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:20.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 911
228 Members
683 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42