SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:03   #1
NCSteve

Anyone use the Teletype GPS?

Hi,
I'm looking for a handheld GPS that I can use for both aviation and driving. The Teletype GPS looks good. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

Last edited by NCSteve; 05-13-2004 at 08:41..
NCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:55   #2
Superfueler
Glockenplane

Send a message via Yahoo to Superfueler
Never used it, but I'm not sure using a PDA based GPS would be that good, for the simple reason of trying to use a stylus while flying. What happens if you drop it, or you are in turbulence? I have a Garmin Pilot III, and it has big rubber buttons, and there have been times it has been hard to make changes, because of the bumps.
Aviation Forum #1903
Superfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:37   #3
NCSteve

Good point. Though, I'm really thinking of it more as a backup to a panel mounted GPS (also, since the panel mounted GPS on the airplane that I fly is in sort of an awkward position requiring me to lean way over to get a good look at it, I thought the handheld might also be more convenient, at least for "normal" flying).
NCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 19:50   #4
Medpilot 2
Smkumifyagotum

Send a message via AIM to Medpilot 2 Send a message via Yahoo to Medpilot 2
I got a Garmin 196 last Sept and absolutely love it. Great as a back up. You can line yourself up with the runway centerline miles out. Nearest function is great for finding FSS/airport/center freq./and many more. Battery life with rechargeable batters is about 12-16 hours with back lighting on. It's been a great flight companion these last few months and I just ordered the new Garmin 296 which is basically the same as the 196 with the addition of a color screen and terrain cautions and alerts, sectional chart-like topographic data, a built-in obstacle database.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap296/

You could probably pick up a 196 on Ebay for around $700
Medpilot 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:47   #5
flyandscuba

The Garmin 196 is a great little GPS. I used mine in the airplane, the car (interfaced with a laptop for a bigger screen), and on the boat.

I went to Sun-n-Fun this year with full intention of upgrading my 196 for the new color 296. However, when I saw the unit in person -- and realized the screen was slightly smaller than the 196, I decided to wait. Then, while at the show -- I discovered the C-Map EXP III-C Pro Gold unit by AvMap. I was hooked! Especially when I was shown it will automatically lay out SAR grids unde rthe flight plan function -- something I really can make use of!

http://www.avmapnavigation.com/Aviat...AP/EKP3Pro.asp

If price is a consideration for you, keep an eye on the Lowrance 1000. The engineers at the show let me play with a color prototype that will be available for the AirVenture show dates. This will be the most economical full-featured portable color GPS unit on the market. Integration of the unit with Satellite XM signals for "near real time" weather depiction is planned for the near future too.

http://www.lowrance.com/Aviation/default.asp
flyandscuba is offline   Reply With Quote