Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:42   #1
California Jack

Organ Q?

My 10 year old son has been playing piano for 3 years now. When he first started piano, he always was saying he wants to play organ. Well, after his last piano lesson his teacher told me that my son is the best sight reader she has ever taught. She than added that good sight readers make good organists and that he should play organ when he gets older.

Looking ahead, I was checking organs out on the web. B#s are freakin' expensive. Any ideas on organs to get ?

Thanks,
Jack
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 14:29   #2
Biker13

Re: Organ Q?

Quote:
Originally posted by California Jack
My 10 year old son has been playing piano for 3 years now. When he first started piano, he always was saying he wants to play organ. Well, after his last piano lesson his teacher told me that my son is the best sight reader she has ever taught. She than added that good sight readers make good organists and that he should play organ when he gets older.

Looking ahead, I was checking organs out on the web. B#s are freakin' expensive. Any ideas on organs to get ?

Thanks,
Jack
Organ donors don't charge.;f
Biker13;c
Biker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:47   #3
Tommy21
Vexillary

The Hammond XB is kinda pricey, as well.

Try this with a keyboard controller:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth...oce/V5-01.html

Tommy
Big Dawg #283

"What if we invented notes that has a sticky side?"
DonGlock
Tommy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:07   #4
California Jack

Thanks for the input Tommy.
Old 12-11-2004, 19:57   #5
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Hey there. Sorry I didn't see this long ago!

If you're talking about a true classic organ (AGO pedalboard) for performance of true organ literature (Bach, Clerambault, Vierne, etc.) and sacred musiuc, it is not an instrument which you normally buy for the house; unless you plan on spending $10-20,000 on an Allen, Rodgers or Ahlborn-Galanti digital instrument.

Best taught through an accomplished church organist with a minimum of a Bachelor's degree, though Master's preferred for performance and pedigogy. Find a instructor that he likes who is willing to work with his natural ability and not force the technique of others upon him just for the sake of technique and risking ruining the art.

Piano technique and organ technique are not particularly compatible as they are two completely different instruments. If he is really interested in organ, please do whatever you can to foster that! I always had an interest in organ and was told repeatedly that I had to study piano first. That is pure unadulterated rubbish! There is nothing in the repetroire that cannot be learned by playing repptoire.

It can be lucritive even at his age. I began substituting profesionally at age 9 and held my first professional position at age 14. Full-time organist/director positions are competative, but if he is a gifted performer and sight reader, he won't have a problem. It is a dying art, and accomplished organists are hard to come by.

Feel free to contact me if there's anything I can do. Look into getting him a membership to the American Guild of Organists, wonderful monthly magazine that will definitely peak his curiosity. Student memberships are only around $30 a year. They also do "pipe organ encounters" nationwide geared towards increasing interest in the technical and musical marvel of the organ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.

Last edited by obxemt; 12-11-2004 at 20:05..
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 20:47   #6
California Jack

obx,

Thanks for the response. I probably will be contacting you in the future. Having a hard time convincing my wife that my son should start organ now. We just bought a baby grand about a year ago. One question now please; How does one practice if they don't have an organ at home?

Jack
Old 12-14-2004, 05:42   #7
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Usually practicing is done at a nearby church, but if he starts lessons at a college or conservatory of music, practice instruments are usually available there. You may have to be the chauffeur for frequent practice!

I always had easy access to large pip organs at a young age because the priests at my church were more than willing to assist a young guy in furthering his interest in sacred music and organ performance. Most priests/ministers/organists would be the same way, unless they are threatened by your son's ability!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote