SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:16   #1
fit4christfit4life
Keef

Send a message via AIM to fit4christfit4life

New to fitness. Need help, I have goals but not sure how to obtain them.

Iím 22 years old, in the air force. ya ya, military people are "suppose" to be fit. Well, let me tell you about my job. I sit in a chair 12 hours a day, with a snack bar a few feet away, with all the pop I can drink.

Letís just say 3 months ago I had a pt test. I never really worked out and I thought I could pass it. Well, I failed miserably. I lied to myself. That was it, I had to get in shape or get paperwork or worse. I had 3 months to get myself into passing shape. I ran twice and then lied to myself again (Iím sure many of you have done this). 2 months went by. oh crap, 1 month left. So at the 2 month mark I'm trying to run every other day at least 3 days a week. I keep my heart rate in a certain range. I TRY to dopushups and crunches every other day also. I watched what I ate and cut back the pop, I used to drink at least 6 cans a day.

I tested two days ago and passed barely. That was to close for comfort. Iím 6ft 3in In this last month I went from 240lbs - 230lbs, and from 39-38 inch waist. My pushups went from 20-33, and crunches from 40-56 in 60 seconds. My 1.5 mile run went from 15:45-13:00 For the first time in three years Iíve noticed changes in my body and with very little effort. I know if I put my mind to it I can excel to my goals. Believe it or not joining the military was the worst thing physically for me ever. I came from playing baseball, soccer, basketball, hunting and spending 90% of my free time outdoors to sitting in a chair waiting for a phone to ring, it got me lazy, plain and simple.

My personal goals are: I would like to be ďdefinedĒ. Not embarrassed to take my shirt off. I donít want to be bulky. I donít care how much weight I lift. I DONíT want to look like I canít wipe my ass. I would like to have at least some abs, Iíve never had abs in my life. I donít want my future kids to ask me to come and play with them and then die of a heart attack in the yard.

My goals are these, 100 crunches, 100 pushups, ABS, in good cardio shape
6-7 min mile, and just plain stronger.

Considering I know nothing about lifting or anything and Iím just kind of winging it for now. This is my work out. Everyday do 20pushups, rest 30, do as many as I can w/out muscle failure, rest 30, and then once more. Today I just started 10 pushups where you clap your hands together, then 15 normal, then the last set. Iím trying to do every day crunches that include 10 different style crunches of 20 reps each for a total of 200 crunches. I started at 100 and soon that quit burning so I upped it to 200. My run consists anywhere from 32-60 mins jog/brisk walk with random inclines. My heart rate goes from 150-190.

Iím limiting my portions, and trying to cut down on pop and junkfood. Iím at about 5 cans a week now. I carry a gallon of water around with me, just started that 5 days ago to try and keep my mind off of pop by not being thirsty.

I have a treadmill at work I can use on my shifts and they are trying to get a Bowflex. I think they realized something was wrong when people starting flunking their PT tests. There is a gym I can use with any equipment I could dream of, but the last thing I wanna do after a 12 hour shift is go to the gym and watch all the posers scream after every lift. It's rather intimidating/annoying. The gym is packed at the hours I would be able to go. I would also like to spend as much time as I can at home with my wife. So with these utilities at my disposal could someone recommend a good training program for me or direct me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Matt

Sorry that was such a long post.
fit4christfit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:30   #2
California Jack

I suggest you try the Cross Fit protocol, I believe they have some military people there. Go to Cross Fit

Good luck and let us know if you try and if so, the results,
Jack
Old 03-17-2005, 22:00   #3
geminicricket
NRA Life member

It's a mental fight for sure. I don't try to tell anyone how it's done, but what worked for me regarding convenient overeating, in your case the pop machine is close by, was that I quit carrying money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 22:19   #4
benji

good luck on your goals!!!

i would say try out hiit (high intensity interval training). i think it is the best way to lose weight and get in shape. i lost about 50 pounds doing hiit, lifting weights, and the south beach diet. i am also a firm believer in pullups, dips, and squats. stop eating crap foods and just try to do some kind of excercise every day, you'll be amazed at the results.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote