Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:20   #1
BlackBelt

Fat black belt experts

Okay, enough with the kissy-kissy. Lets get down to some issues.
I believe we have an epidemic of fat folks in this country, and as martial artists, we have the ability and duty to teach people self-control and self dicipline. Teach them to push away from the table and back away from the cheesecake. I don't know how it is your school, but mine is pathetic. I try to educate my students on eating well and exercising, but unfortunately the majority of them think just coming to class 2-3 times a week IS their exercise.
I've had guest instructors come to my school and not be able to walk up the stairs without being winded, because they were so out of shape.
I have one guy that tells me how healthy he eats, because he eats his 'fruits and vegetables' everyday. When pressed about those, he said that means he eats a slice of watermelon everyday.
We've got to change this.
I'm open to any ideas that you've experienced to motivate people to eat less and work harder.
BlackBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:28   #2
mhill

That's a tough one. Each person has to find it within themselves. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. A black belt that gets winded walking upstairs is no blackbelt in my school. I'd bust him back to blue and tell him when he gets back in shape I'll give him his black belt back.

People really don't get it or choose to ignore it.

You could ask them each day what they had for lunch. Then tell them that's one pushup for every fry they ate that day. ;a ;a You would make some friends this way.

mhill
Old 04-06-2005, 12:43   #3
MARTIN FISHER

The check up form the neck up is one soulution, in other words, tell them to gear up and spar with someone who is in good shape and see who wins. By spar, I mean spar, take downs, head shots everything. Just be there to not let anything outrageious happen. No time limits. The fact is, most MA give the false idea that learning hundreds of techniques is the way.

Of course, you can just not associate with people like that, or let them learn on by losing, they will either get into shape or leave the program, either way, it's for the best. They stop lieing to themselves and you will start attracting the kind of students who can actually fight if they need to.

Last edited by MARTIN FISHER; 04-06-2005 at 13:10..
MARTIN FISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 13:50   #4
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
I've only met ONE fat instructor who was any good and I began to train under him. Although he was hefty, his wind was excellent and his technique was superb. He has since lost about twenty pounds and graduated to Black Belt. Has his own school.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 14:08   #5
Joshua M. Smith
Shootist

Send a message via ICQ to Joshua M. Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Joshua M. Smith
Quote:
I'm open to any ideas that you've experienced to motivate people to eat less and work harder.
Why do people like junk food? It's good. Why do we not like veggies and such? They don't taste as good. Children may be turned off to certain vegetables because of plant toxins.

Take the new school members out to an oriental restaurant. Let them sample the healthy stuff and find out that it can be good. I love seafood and freshwater fish, rice, etc. I would live on a local restaurant's hot'n'spicy shrimp if I could afford it. If you're not familiar with this dish (I don't know the Chinese name) it's shrimp in an eye watering sauce mixed mixed with onion and broccoli. It comes with a side of sticky rice.

Keep up the tradition for special events- if a student should make a promotion, etc. Or just for the heck of it. Maybe even serve snacks afterward.

Look at the bright side though: At least these guys are getting up from the television, Nintendo, whatever, and are coming to a class where they can be active.

Josh <><

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote