Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2005, 15:29   #1
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

One-Shot Drops Surviving the Myth

http://www.rrmemphis.com/myth.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.

Last edited by RMTactical; 12-27-2012 at 19:23..
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 15:31   #2
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

What stands out to me is that 10% of these guys were killed with their own weapon... :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 06-09-2005, 16:09   #3
turbonatr

Send a message via AIM to turbonatr
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb...leb.htm#page_15

Quote:
In the authors’ ongoing study of violence against law enforcement officers, they have examined several cases where officers used large-caliber hand guns with limited effect displayed by the offenders. In one case, the subject attacked the officer with a knife. The officer shot the individual four times in the chest; then, his weapon malfunctioned. The offender continued to walk toward the officer. After the officer cleared his weapon, he fired again and struck the subject in the chest. Only then did the offender drop the knife. This individual was hit five times with 230-grain, .45-caliber hollow-point ammunition and never fell to the ground. The offender later stated, “The wounds felt like bee stings.”

In another case, officers fired six .40-caliber, hollow-point rounds at a subject who pointed a gun at them. Each of the six rounds hit the individual with no visible effect. The seventh round severed his spinal cord, and the offender fell to the ground, dropping his weapon. This entire firefight was captured by several officers’ in-car video cameras.
Can't say it enough...handguns SUCK at stopping people!
P.A. Glocker Charter Member #48
Pennsylvania Constitution Article I, Section 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
turbonatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 17:52   #4
kilibreaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonatr View Post

Actually, the .45 ACP sucks as stopping power...a fact well known by anyone who's actually shot anything living with one.
kilibreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07   #5
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilibreaux View Post
Actually, the .45 ACP sucks as stopping power...a fact well known by anyone who's actually shot anything living with one.
Take a 230gr hollow point to the chest and tell me how much it sucks.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 21:31   #6
bnlchris18

1.) Most important factor in "stoping power" is SHOT PLACEMENT.
2.) There is virtually no measurable difference in "stoping power" between any major handgun caliber. All top tier defense loads produce the same relative damage to bodily structures. All the medical experts and trauma surgeons will attest to this.
3.) 9mm with a proven JHP is probably the most practical round for CCW/defensive handgun use, as you can get more lead on target faster, with better followup shot capability in less time, than you can using .45 ACP/.40/.357 SIG, etc. The additional increase of ammunition on tap in the mag, is a nice bonus!
4.) COM is a crapshoot and with the increased use of body armor used by perps, is less effective, unless striking the spinal column on a frontal shot or hitting the heart, etc. Put your rounds in the targets shoulder and pelvic girdle repeatedly, until your slide locks back or the target is down and ceases hostility. If you can make a CNS shot, take it.
5.) Kinetic energy and hydrostatic shock is BS. Temporary cavity is BS. The only thing you can count on ballisticily is perforating and destroying important vital structures of the body to end a threat. Caliber is meaningless, if you aren't hitting said vital structures.
6.) The only thing .40 and .45 have over 9mm, is increase in training costs, carry weight and recoil. One caveat, if limited to FMJ only, I do prefer the bigger .45 230 grain ball or the meplat flat nose .40. I got 500rds of 124 grain 9mm Goldot JHP, so that's what I'm sticking with- in a Gen 3 Glock 19 in nickel boron btw.
bnlchris18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 23:25   #7
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlchris18 View Post
2.) There is virtually no measurable difference in "stoping power" between any major handgun caliber. All top tier defense loads produce the same relative damage to bodily structures. All the medical experts and trauma surgeons will attest to this.
3.) 9mm with a proven JHP is probably the most practical round for CCW/defensive handgun use, as you can get more lead on target faster, with better followup shot capability in less time, than you can using .45 ACP/.40/.357 SIG, etc. The additional increase of ammunition on tap in the mag, is a nice bonus!
4.) COM is a crapshoot and with the increased use of body armor used by perps, is less effective, unless striking the spinal column on a frontal shot or hitting the heart, etc. Put your rounds in the targets shoulder and pelvic girdle repeatedly, until your slide locks back or the target is down and ceases hostility. If you can make a CNS shot, take it.
5.) Kinetic energy and hydrostatic shock is BS. Temporary cavity is BS. The only thing you can count on ballisticily is perforating and destroying important vital structures of the body to end a threat. Caliber is meaningless, if you aren't hitting said vital structures.
6.) The only thing .40 and .45 have over 9mm, is increase in training costs, carry weight and recoil. One caveat, if limited to FMJ only, I do prefer the bigger .45 230 grain ball or the meplat flat nose .40. I got 500rds of 124 grain 9mm Goldot JHP, so that's what I'm sticking with- in a Gen 3 Glock 19 in nickel boron btw.
1. I don't think you'll find many who will dispute shot placement is paramount in stopping a threat.

Quote:
There is virtually no measurable difference in "stoping power" between any major handgun caliber. All top tier defense loads produce the same relative damage to bodily structures. All the medical experts and trauma surgeons will attest to this.
I really don't know what the term "relative damage" means when some calibers demonstrably produce greater total injury for a given shot, and I doubt all medical experts unanimously agree on anything.

3. The 9mm appears to be the most popular duty caliber for self-defense, but I can put .357sig rounds just as fast and accurately into targets as I do with my 9mm, after learning that every system has its own rhythm, for want of a better term. The .45ACPs I've shot seem only slightly more difficult. I was surprised learning that many champion shooters won their competitions shooting .40S&W since that's been the hardest caliber for me to control.

4. Even a novice like me knows not to aim for the shoulder instead of COM. I might only have the opportunity to put a single round on target before stopping the threat, and aiming for a peripheral area is truly a crap shoot, as you put it.

Quote:
Caliber is meaningless, if you aren't hitting said vital structures.
Ergo, why on earth would one aim at peripheral areas?

6. I think you've got a great gun/ammo combination and since you've thoroughly put that system through the proper testing who is anyone to dispute your choice? I certainly won't.
Old 12-25-2013, 00:09   #8
BBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlchris18 View Post
While true, it's probably this is VERY difficult to control in a dynamic gunfight, as the perp is not likely going to just stand there and let you take a carefully aim shot. Almost by definition, if you're involved in a self defense shooting, your target is actively attacking you, or someone else in close proximity to you. This is not going to make it easy to get precise shots. This is especially true for civilians who don't get the more advanced training that LEOs (well, at least some LEOs) get.
Quote:
I've seen posts by people directly refuting this. There was a post by a coroner that went around a few years ago that specifically contradicted this.
Quote:
While I don't have a problem with 9mm as a self defense cartridge, I think .40 and .45 have better combinations of penetration and expansion. It's that combination that establishes the incapacitation capability of the round. Round for round .45 has the best combination, but .40 gives a better ammo capacity for the same size gun, while still having a significant advantage in expansion and penetration over 9mm. So that's my preference.
Quote:
The COM has the highest concentration of vital structures over the largest target. I would never trust a shoulder or pelvic shot to stop an attacker. A good solid head shot should, but that can be very difficult to make
Quote:
5.) Kinetic energy and hydrostatic shock is BS. Temporary cavity is BS. The only thing you can count on ballisticily is perforating and destroying important vital structures of the body to end a threat.
Agreed at handgun velocities
Quote:
Caliber is meaningless, if you aren't hitting said vital structures.
Somewhat agreed, but a larger caliber = larger expanded diameter = larger chance of cutting something vital
Quote:
I think that's an assumption on your part, and has never been proven.
BBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 21:07   #9
Rev.357

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Take a 230gr hollow point to the chest and tell me how much it sucks.
TRUE Brother!!!!
NRA Pistol Instructor
SC CWP Instructor
Rev.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 19:59   #10
bnlchris18

Some of you have refuted my points, allow me to elaborate. This article addresses why the pelvic and shoulder girdle is more effective than traditional COM shots, at least in terms of a Military context.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...and-the-glock/

Also, top tier defensive JHP ammo, 9mm, .40, .45, all have similar expansion reliability in tissue medium and the overall difference in expansion is negligible. I will admit here, that in favor of the .40, most if not all factory ammo is loaded hot with good results on target, albeit with a sharper recoil impulse, and slower split times, period. 9mm is more load specific, in that to compete with it's bigger cousins, it needs to be loaded in a +p+ format with a proven JHP. I don't care if your a surgeon and a split time master with a .357 SIG or a .45, you will always be faster, more accurate and put more lead on target with more capacity with the least recoil, with a 9mm.

Logically, albeit you have to use the best loads, the 9mm is superior to the other common autoloader handgun rounds for defensive use and ultimately, war. The .45 FMJ has negligibly more "stopping power" than 9mm FMJ, and both are poor performers. The .45 JHP has marginally better expansion and more mass on target, but at the expense of single stack 6-8 rd platforms, or larger and harder to conceal double stack designs. The .40 is a bastardized design by smith and wesson, in an attempt to solve a problem that never was. More recoil than 9mm and .45 ACP, with less stopping power than the big bore, and less capacity than 9mm. 1mm more diameter and a small increase in crushed tissue is not worth the increase in training costs, and longer time for follow up shots.

I do love that .45 ACP though, for two reasons, nostalgia and suppressed use with a can. Also, like .40, the .45 ACP isn't really load specific, and while the FMJ 230 grain ball only has a small increase in terminal performance over 9mm, in warfare, I'll take whatever I can get. As a civilian, with some of the best rounds in my mags that money can buy, the 9mm is superior in almost every single category vs it'd bigger cousins.
bnlchris18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 17:57   #11
kilibreaux

Quote:

Yet ANOTHER reason "limited penetration" is a sucker play! bullets that "over" penetrate a human torso have a MUCH better chance of snicking SOMETHING along the spinal column than big blobs puttering along slow enough to be snagged with a catcher's mitt.
The .45 ACP SUCKS for penetration...this is based on what the REAL world proves not armchair discourse. The .40 is certainly far, FAR better, and the 9mm is wonderful for punching holes clean through as long as its ballistic potential is not limited by thinly jacketed, soft-lead core spuds!
kilibreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17   #12
silencio

Quote:

What about the 44 Magnum with that 240 or 260 grain lead wad cutter??
Old 06-09-2005, 16:17   #13
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally posted by turbonatr

No doubt, that's why you cannot just shoot someone once. You've GOT to shoot until the perp is no longer a threat. One or two shots to the chest MAY not be enough to get the job done and there are too many variables. Some to consider, some that can't be worked into the equation until AFTER.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:44   #14
hjery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
No doubt, that's why you cannot just shoot someone once. You've GOT to shoot until the perp is no longer a threat. One or two shots to the chest MAY not be enough to get the job done and there are too many variables. Some to consider, some that can't be worked into the equation until AFTER.
What i would do is shoot the guy in the head if i shoot him in the chest more than 2 times and he is still standing.
hjery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 16:29   #15
pangris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjery View Post
What i would do is shoot the guy in the head if i shoot him in the chest more than 2 times and he is still standing.
The head is a crappy target. You have to put your hits in the ocular cavity for it to be effective.

Center mass body shots drop the blood pressure to the brain, which is what stops people from being a threat.

Headshots are a last resort and require carefully placed shots - otherwise, you risk doing no damage. See the Miami shootout details where Maddox (sp, IIRC) was shot in the face TWICE - his CHEEKBONES stopped handgun rounds.

A book worth reading -
pangris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 23:56   #16
hjery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangris View Post
The head is a crappy target. You have to put your hits in the ocular cavity for it to be effective.

Center mass body shots drop the blood pressure to the brain, which is what stops people from being a threat.

Headshots are a last resort and require carefully placed shots - otherwise, you risk doing no damage. See the Miami shootout details where Maddox (sp, IIRC) was shot in the face TWICE - his CHEEKBONES stopped handgun rounds.
It is not hard to shoot someone in the head at close range.Im not talking about long range shots and also not talking about shooting people in the face just the head.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:20   #17
REC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangris View Post
If you actually see the Miami shootout details, you will find out the two hits actually took Maddox out of the fight (even though they did not kill him immediately, he definitely was not a factor in the fight--Platt did all the damage).
REC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 16:44   #18
hjery

Quote:
It is not hard to shoot someone in the head at close range.Im not talking about long range shots and also not talking about shooting people in the face just the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post
If you actually see the Miami shootout details, you will find out the two hits actually took Maddox out of the fight (even though they did not kill him immediately, he definitely was not a factor in the fight--Platt did all the damage).
Whats wrong with you people! Im talking about head shots at close range in a self defense situation when shooting them in the chest doesn't stop them. Of course shooting someone in the face would not stop them. Im talking about the HEAD not the face.
And you guys are saying stupid stuff about shooting in a certain part of the head in order to kill and that it is hard to shoot someone in the head and all that other crap. Shooting someone in the head would stop anyone.Come on people If you can't shoot someone in the head at close range then maybe you shouldn't own a gun or maybe have either your eyes or your gun sights checked.
Old 11-19-2007, 19:28   #19
cole

Quote:
If the head shot is the easy target for you, better for you to aim there to begin with. Aim for the very tip of the nose that way you can hit the brainstem.

However, I'm not that crack of a shot, so I'd go center mass personally. Under duress, given the choice of targeting an object the size of a cantelope or one that is the size of a basketball, I'll aim for the basketball.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 21:11   #20
pangris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole View Post
If the head shot is the easy target for you, better for you to aim there to begin with. Aim for the very tip of the nose that way you can hit the brainstem.

However, I'm not that crack of a shot, so I'd go center mass personally. Under duress, given the choice of targeting an object the size of a cantelope or one that is the size of a basketball, I'll aim for the basketball.
That is the issue - the vunerable part of the head is the triangle from the corners of the eyes to the bottom of the nose - more like a 3x5 index card than a cantelope.

A book worth reading -
pangris is offline   Reply With Quote