SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2005, 23:10   #1
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

RIT training

If you were doing a training for your dept on RIT, and you wanted your members to remember just one thing, what would it be?
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:40   #2
aspartz

If rescue is going to take more than 2 minutes, bring more air for the trapped FF.

ARS
Old 08-17-2005, 20:18   #3
mohara

Before anyone does RIT training/operations, they should have good amount of exp. in firefighting. To many newbies coming into the service, are all about RIT, but really have no clue as to how to fight fire. Not bashing on people, but this is how we put it to the members of my department. We get a RIT call, we dont go, if we dont have the qualified people to respond on the truck.
Old 08-18-2005, 21:17   #4
resqtech245

What aspect of RIT are you training on? Approaching a downed firefighter, enlarged openings, SCBA switchover, face piece switch over, the Denver Drill, The Columbus Drill??
resqtech245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:22   #5
mohara

We have actually done most aspects of RIT. The LT. at my station is big into training, and does a kick ass job of doing it. We use a two team RIT aspect.

We start with a RECON team, then a HEAVY team:

RECON TEAM - Two members, taking with them the Thermal Camera, rope bag, irons, radios. This team will do an find the down firefighter(s), and radio a report to command. Once downed firefighter(s) is located, they will assess condition. If conscious, and able to move, they will assist him/her out of the structure. If firefighter is unable to move/unconscious they will secure waist strap of SCBA between groin, check air supply/mask condition, and attempt to move downed firefighter out of harms way.

If RECON team is unable to move firefighter, then:

HEAVY TEAM - The rest of the RIT team will bring ALL the tools/supplies to the location of the downed firefighter(saw, RIT bag{with universal SCBA appliances}, tools, rope, etc...). At that time, ALL members will do what is needed to remove firefighter from the elements(via stairs, ladders, wall breaching, through floors/ceilings, etc...).

Some companies here dont like the RIT/FAST idea. Some chiefs prefer the "ondeck" method. Take the 3,4, or 5th unit in, and have them "ondeck", with proper supplies to act as RIT/FAST team.

One thing that really gets me is, when a company is called for this function, and once they get on scene, they start to loosen up. The worst thing to happen is, a firefighter goes down, and the RIT/FAST/ONDECK are not ready, with their coats off, SCBA off, etc...
Old 08-21-2005, 08:31   #6
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by resqtech245
What aspect of RIT are you training on? Approaching a downed firefighter, enlarged openings, SCBA switchover, face piece switch over, the Denver Drill, The Columbus Drill??
We have done some training on SCBA buddy breatheing, sharing air, etc. I am looking at doing aproaching the firefighter and then extricating him from whatever he is in. We have several FF's that have recently obtained their state cert, along with many others that have little to no formal RIT training. To be honest I have somne, but nothing masively extensive. However after some recent seminars that I have attended I think this is somthing our dept needs to focus a bit more on rather than just a "RIT, we do it in terms of assigining a crew but they don't have any real RIT training" approach. Whatever I do as a nightly drill I will practice with one of the daytime crews.

As for RIT bag or equipment, or harness, etc... he have NONE of that. For the past three or four years my FD out of area training and reading has been limited since I have been concentrating on EMS and some other areas, besides the fact of being married and having a five year old, house, dog, two jobs, etc. To be honest I had little idea untill about sixz months ago when I got my fire instructor (same class to get my fire and EMS instructor so I just applied for the fire one since I met the state REQ's" and started playing catch up.
-Isaiah 6.8
Old 08-21-2005, 21:11   #7
oldstyle
Jeep Pirate

As our bunker gear is replaced, the new gear will have an integrated body harness. That's one less thing to worry about.

As far as answering your question, "don't add to the problem". Communication should also be stressed.
Old 08-22-2005, 18:44   #8
Pupp86

I think one of the more important aspects of RIT is to have the personnel think for themselves. Do a random study. Put a couple of guys(or girls) in a typical residential (2x4's and drywall) room (no fire / smoke conditions) and have them tell you how they would get out. If your like many of the dept's out there and have alot of FNG's (all certifications but no experience), the answers you get will be "I don't know, that's what RIT is there for". Even with no tools you should be able to kick right through the drywall and hopefully find an escape route or point of safe haven until RIT actually gets there.

If you are serious about RIT, contact the Illinois Fire Service Institute who was one of the first to recognize RIT and develop a class "Saving Our Own" which has been taught all over the country.

IFSI
Pupp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 21:14   #9
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by Pupp86
I think one of the more important aspects of RIT is to have the personnel think for themselves. Do a random study. Put a couple of guys(or girls) in a typical residential (2x4's and drywall) room (no fire / smoke conditions) and have them tell you how they would get out. If your like many of the dept's out there and have alot of FNG's (all certifications but no experience), the answers you get will be "I don't know, that's what RIT is there for". Even with no tools you should be able to kick right through the drywall and hopefully find an escape route or point of safe haven until RIT actually gets there.

If you are serious about RIT, contact the Illinois Fire Service Institute who was one of the first to recognize RIT and develop a class "Saving Our Own" which has been taught all over the country.

IFSI
Me thinks that is one of the first steps, knowing how to self rescue and pre planning for the worst that could happen to YOU.

and thanks for the link
-Isaiah 6.8
Old 08-22-2005, 23:01   #10
rebbryan
.40FireFighter

Send a message via AIM to rebbryan
I don't know where you live, but if SC's closer the South Carolina Fire Academy offers a class called Rescuing the Rescuer, I've taken it, it's very good, and the basic stuff can be easily remembered and taught in house by a training officer. Rope, another scba w/ mask (can make a bag for it if your dept doesn't want to buy one), and cutting instruments are main essentials and will be able to handle many problems. The handcuff knot is a very valuable tool, you can bring ff's up and down floors with it, see if someone knows it at your fd.

I'd say the main theme would be either think or communication

NASCAR sucks
rebbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:46   #11
mohara

Quote:
Originally posted by oldstyle
As our bunker gear is replaced, the new gear will have an integrated body harness. That's one less thing to worry about.

As far as answering your question, "don't add to the problem". Communication should also be stressed.
We just got all new Morning Pride, with the internal harness. It works great when performing RIT tactics. With a large beaner, you can attach it to the upper straps of the SCBA/bracket of unit, and drag the downed firefighter(making sure the waste straps are connected between legs).
Old 08-25-2005, 14:25   #12
nam02G
Angry Bunny

Has anyone taken the Mayday training presented by Burton Clark? It's a very nice compliment to the whole RIT concept. Basically it tries to teach firefighters to recognize when they are in trouble and call for help before it is too late. It also tries to get us to recognize that it is better to be slightly embarrased about calling for help than it is to die in a fire. What Dr Clark realized was that military pilots have very strict protocols to follow when it comes down to bailing out of an airplane. Firefighters have absolutely nothing about calling for help, except a macho attitude and a mindset that we're there to help, not to be helped. If anyones intersted I can find a link to the web based version of it. Unfortunately there is a charge for it but I don't know how much, at least I think there is.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:36   #13
Charlie Fox

Kind of off topic here, but relevent:

We just did our big annual structural drill, including RIT rescues and FF Down scenarios, and a couple of things hit me -

1) New SCBA harnesses should have "drag handles" to allow down FF's to be extricated faster. The new MOLLE gear the military has incorporates this feature...

2) The harnesses should also have an integrated radio holder to get you portable out of pockets, off straps, etc. It should be accessable so that the OH S*** button can still be pushed.

3) BUNKER GEAR NEEDS MORE POCKETS! Not necessarily big ones, but better placed for smaller items - hose straps, flashlights, etc. They have gotten better over the years, but improvement is still needed!

Any of you enterprising guys and gals who can make this work, feel free to steal these ideas!

BTW, the one thing I would pass along to newbies about RIT - Be fast, but efficient. Being fast is good, but alone it makes more victims. Efficient alone is good, but tends to be slow. Make all movements, saerches, tactics count - you (and the FF's you're rescuing) may not get a second shot at it!
Bladerunner #12
Wheelhouse #42

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
Charlie Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 22:25   #14
mgraff

Call for help as soon as you think you're in trouble!
The rest of this is a long winded response...LOL

We have trained ALOT on this and tried many variations, and ideas. So here are my .02....TRAIN, TRAIN TRAIN, do it with purpose and as realisticly as you can, make it difficult, let people fail if they need to, make each evolution build on the last and increase the difficulty as you go.
Every rescue is going to take more than 2 minutes!!!! 2 people is not enough!!! Get a RIT bag and train with it, develop an SOP/ SOG that works for your Dept. The RECON team idea is a good starting point, it is all 2 in 2 out gets you. Realisticly a rescue will take at least 3-4 people per downed FF, if they are unable to walk out on thier own. Pass alarms work pretty well. Do your training on air, with the masks blacked out, work on self rescue this way too. Know your SCBA blindfolded and with your gloves on, practice your trouble shooting drills. Do entanglement drills, learn to calm down, and think. Move all radio traffic except the rescue to a new channnel, the rescue stays on the original tac channel, so the downed FFs do not have to change. "Calling the Mayday" is a good training available on the net, then follow it up, Phoenix, AZ FD has a tape they will send you free covering the loss of 2 (I think)FFs in a grocery store. It is a good tape. Try to learn form your failures/ mistakes, and hope they all happen in training.
Good luck.
mgraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 20:28   #15
mohara

Before I get jumped on here, let me just say this is not putting down anyones training/SOP/SOG/exp, or anything of that nature.

Not sure how you train, but when my department trains, we usually use the bigger guys as the victims. 3-4 people IS NOT enough for a rescue, unless you are lucky enough to be near a window, or door. 3-4 people may be able to rescue someone if they are dragged out of the building, but if you have to carry up/down stairs, out a ladder(need more if they are unconscious), or thru a roof opening. Realisticly, you are going to need atleast 8 properly trained members to properly complete the task. The RECON team, is basically that, a team to find the downed firefighter. If the victim is conscious, and is able to walk, they get him out. If he is unconscious, they turn his airpack into a rescue harness, and drag him(if they can) to safety, or as far as they can. Once the recon team finds the victim, they immediatly call command and report where the victim is, if he is conscious or not.

Everyone does things differently, so dont take this as "this is the only way to do it". Trust me, it is not, but this is the way we use it, and it works very well for us.

Mike
Old 09-08-2005, 20:04   #16
kyfirefreak

Send a message via Yahoo to kyfirefreak
Always remain calm & think!

You screw up when you over look the obvious.

Best training classes I've ever had:
www.TES2Training.Com

Tim's a former member of my dept. Great instructor, knows his stuff.
kyfirefreak is offline   Reply With Quote