Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2005, 19:53   #1
Eagle78101

Dodge vs. Ford pickups (Diesel)

Dodges markets the Ram Truck, with a Cummins engine. Ford markets the SuperDuty with the Ford Diesel. We drive a Ford and generally prefer Fords. But the Dodge is also nice. Which one do YOU prefer?
Eagle78101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 20:07   #2
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Ford, just because I am a ford guy.

Now I hear Toyota may be bringing a turbo diesel out in the new Tundra. That will definately bee something to watch for.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)
http://www.ingunowners.com
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:31   #3
OUSooner

I would get the power stroke. It is an 8 cylinder vs. the cummins 6 cylinder and the power stroke is much quiter without all that much clatter.
OUSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:49   #4
Poppa Bear
CLM Number 45
Protective G'pa

I do not drive a diesel now but I would not be looking at the engine. I look at the drive train.

The Cummings is more expensive to repair but less likely to need repair. The PowerStroke is more likely to need repair but at less cost. The transmission in the Dodge is stronger than the Ford if you are going to haul over a distance but will cost more to repair if it goes bad. The Ford is not as strong but if your primary use is just to move the vehicle driving on the roads and interstate it will serve you well.

So if you are looking for a vehicle check with the tranny shops and the independent diesel mechanics for the up to date info on engine and tranny strengths and weaknesses.
"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Poppa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53   #5
OUSooner

Poppa Bear is right. Also a standard transmission would probably serve you better in either vehicle for many reasons. Keep in mind also the diesel option on either is about $4,500. Dodge claims the Cummins is good for 300,000 miles before needing to be rebuilt. The Chevy Duramax is a fine engine in it's own right, it is built by Isuzu.
OUSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 18:25   #6
AUG

The cummins is a better engine.

The Ford truck (take the engine out of the picture) is better than the Dodge in every area I can think of.

Best engine is the Dodge. Best "truck" is the Ford.

Keep in mind the tranny is the weak link in both trucks NOT the engines.

I would buy the Ford. It is way higher quality than a Dodge pick up IMO. I have sold both and far more problems with the dodge trans than in the ford.

Very few people with diesel trucks NEED diesel trucks. Be careful not to buy on "cool factor" because diesel trucks are more expensive to operate across the entire life of the truck. Saving the extra cost paid for the diesel option in fuel savings is also a farce.

I am sure someone will chime in and tell me how they have actually saved so much in fuel over years but major construction companies have found that not to be the case. At least not enough savings to overcome the higher purchase price and higher maintenance.

Also consider the idea that diesel production for light trucks will be the first fuel sacrificed in the event of a shortage. This a real possibility in the next few years.
AUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 18:24   #7
Gary_P

in my city the city vehicles are using off-road diesel due to diesel shortages.so they say ;Q

I would buy the Powerstroke equipped unit only because I work on them and know how good they are. its all about maintenece anyways. you maintain it and keep it clean, either will last forever. The 7.3l was a better diesel but could not make it past future emmissions.

Gary
Old 10-14-2005, 19:13   #8
DaisyCutter

Last time I compared HD trucks (2003)... The Dodge had the beefier drivetrain/brakes.

http://4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/1...ar/index2.html
http://4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/1...ar/index8.html

Just climb under and look, it should be apparent which truck has the more robust drivetrain (I don't know about current year trucks). FWIW, I bought the Dodge based primarily on the fact that it fit into my garage.... and it was $10K cheaper... $36,000 versus $46,000 at the time.

Neither truck is bad, every year they teeter-totter back and forth... which tows more with the BASE engine...

which tows more with the optional engine...

which uses higher grade bolts in the bed...

it never ends and it never settles. I suggest looking for the best deal that suits your needs foremost. Right now I have a Dodge, a Ford, and a Kia.

DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 19:15   #9
DaisyCutter

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary_P
in my city the city vehicles are using off-road diesel due to diesel shortages.so they say ;Q

I seem to recall that city/municipal/gov/etc vehicles could always use the red (non tax) diesel? School buses, for example.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 21:17   #10
AUG

Non-taxed diesel is only about .30 cheaper in TN. Not much of a difference when diesel is going 3 bucks a gallon.
AUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 18:54   #11
G27dogmannfl

Send a message via AIM to G27dogmannfl
go to dieselstop.com and read all the problems the fords are having with the new 6.0 powerstroke. its a LOT then go to turbodieselregister.com and read about the dodges. i have been trying to make the same decision and have been researching all 3 of the diesel trucks and i am sold on the dodge with the 6spd manual if i was getting an auto i would look at the chevy but probably still go with the dodge. and whoever made the comment to go with the ford because it is a 8 and the cummins is a 6 almost all of the semi trailers on the road are 6's they are inline 6's just like the cummins you cannot beat an inline design for durability and torque. plus the cummins has more power and better gas mileage and they are actually cheaper to work on than the powerstroke. look under the hood of the fords its a nightmare under the hood of the dodge is great its an inline tons of room you can see everything under the hood. but they are both nice trucks dont get me wrong and im sure you would be happy with either if you dont get a powerstroke that has all the problems they should have stayed with the 7.3 that was a great motor but the stupid emission thing blah blah blah ;c
G27dogmannfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 21:10   #12
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

RUMOR ALERT!

This is second hand info that supposedly came from a Toyota mechanic that I trust, so I would still take it with a grain of salt.

Word is That Cummins is no longer going to be supplying Dodge with diesel engines. The new ones will be powered by a Mercedes diesel (Mercedes has plenty of experience making european semi diesel engines) and Cummins is the one devolping and building Toyota's new diesel for the new Tundra. Also was told the Tundra line will be expanding into the HD class with the new drive train. All the way up to the longbed, crew cab, duallie, big mofo size.

I hope it's true. Diesel power with Toyota reliability would be sweet.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)
http://www.ingunowners.com
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:30   #13
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

I would love to have a Dodge with a Mercedes diesel. Good Dodge looks(imo)and the long life reliability of Mercedes.
Old 10-27-2005, 18:37   #14
G27dogmannfl

Send a message via AIM to G27dogmannfl
[QUOTE]Originally posted by StockGlock23
[B]I would love to have a Dodge with a Mercedes diesel. Good Dodge looks(imo)and the long life reliability of Mercedes

how much more reliable than a cummins can you get? many of them are 1 million mile engines. the new ones only require oil changes every 15k on dino oil. thats awesome and are supposed to go 350K with normal maintenence and hard work.
G27dogmannfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 23:50   #15
SJRTX
Plastic Lover

FWIW-the Powerstroke is an International motor. Both are awesome motors though. I like the looks of the SuperDuty personally. But I wouldnt feel bad driving either one.
Lone Star Glockers #346

The Kalashnikov Klub #346
SJRTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 22:01   #16
TheLastBoyscout

They are both great trucks but if i was buying one today i would have to give the nod to the Dodge. Drive them you'll see.