SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2007, 19:48   #1
LongGoneDays
Misanthropical

Pulled over.

I have a long ramble about getting pulled over in Carry Issues, I left out the part that pertained to Louisiana and thought I'd get some experienced responses here.

I had my G19 in the glove box, and the officer asks me "If I run this will it come back in your name ?"

Huh ? This is Louisiana, brother. He asks me where I bought it, I tell him down South. He said "Well you bought it so it would be registered to you."

I tell him I bought it brand new, mine and always has been mine. He goes to his car for awhile, comes back with the ticket and my gun.
After he handed it back to me I ask him if he meant that when I did the background check, would it put my name on it ?"

He confuses me a little by saying "I ran it, it didn't come back as stolen. We run all guns in traffic stops."

But that's NOT what he said he was running it for. I understand the policy, but why ask me if it was registered to me ? To try and get a good idea if it was stolen ?

As I understand it, you're not required to "register" a gun in Louisiana. Also, that there is no record that can be found by running the serial number during a traffic stop, that shows the owner's name. Right ?
LongGoneDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 21:07   #2
D-DAY
"Sexy Sharp"

Re: Pulled over.

Quote:
Originally posted by longgonedays
I have a long ramble about getting pulled over in Carry Issues, I left out the part that pertained to Louisiana and thought I'd get some experienced responses here.

I had my G19 in the glove box, and the officer asks me "If I run this will it come back in your name ?"

Huh ? This is Louisiana, brother. He asks me where I bought it, I tell him down South. He said "Well you bought it so it would be registered to you."

I tell him I bought it brand new, mine and always has been mine. He goes to his car for awhile, comes back with the ticket and my gun.
After he handed it back to me I ask him if he meant that when I did the background check, would it put my name on it ?"

He confuses me a little by saying "I ran it, it didn't come back as stolen. We run all guns in traffic stops."

But that's NOT what he said he was running it for. I understand the policy, but why ask me if it was registered to me ? To try and get a good idea if it was stolen ?

As I understand it, you're not required to "register" a gun in Louisiana. Also, that there is no record that can be found by running the serial number during a traffic stop, that shows the owner's name. Right ?
I was pulled over for speeding 2 weeks ago by a state trooper near Ruddock. Handed him everyting (and my CCW Permit) and he asked If I was carrying and I told him it was in the console at the moment. He never asked to see the weapon. He went back to his car, wrote up the ticket, came back, and handed it to me while saying have a good day.

In Louisiana, your vehicle is an extention of your home, so what was the officer doing in your glove box? Was your vehicle being searched???

As far as running your weapon, he probably ran the serial number to see if it was reported as stolen property. As for his comment about running all guns at traffic stops, that is a bunch of BS. He has no right to be in your vehicle unless you submit to a search,he has a warrant to search your vehicle, or he uses the infamous "probable cause" which must be justified.

You have a lot missing from your story. Take it from the to and add as much detail as possible, starting with where you were when you were pulled over.
D-DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 21:18   #3
LongGoneDays
Misanthropical

I didn't realize I left so much out. Like I said I typed a novel in carry issues.

Ok, I was coming home from work, my fuse blew to my tail lights. I was almost home and it had just gotten dark, he sees me and pulls me over.

My registration was in a center console from me digging around the other day. My insurance card is a wallet size, and it wasn't in there, so I needed to dig for it around a lot of papers in the glove box.

Sitting on top of the glove box, was my loaded pistol. There was an awkward moment while he wanted me to reach into the glove box, he could see it with his light.

I told him twice I can't get to it without moving the pistol, so he asks me to hand it to him, which I did in the safest possible way.

He then asks me the "If I run this.."

He never searched my car or anything. I'm just asking about his comments about running it to see if I was the owner, or if the pistol was registered to me.

He backed out of that stance by saying he ran it to see if it was stolen, not registered to me.

I was still weirded out by him asking me to hand him my pistol, when he asked me the questions I was more like "uhhh what ?"
LongGoneDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:45   #4
nolacop

A police officer on the street does not have access to a computer system in which can verify the registered owner of a weapon in an instant. All that can be done in an instant is an NCIC inquiry which will tell you if the gun is stolen or not stolen. Also, if a gun comes back stolen in NCIC, you must verify the make and model as many manufacturers duplicate serial numbers.
nolacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 00:21   #5
Remander

Quote:
A police officer on the street does not have access to a computer system in which can verify the registered owner of a weapon in an instant.
True. No computer will tell you the "registered owner" of most weapons. If I buy a gun from my La. neighbor, Joe Blow, there is no registration required. I can sell it, and it can turn over, legally, many times, with no registration required.

But I bet a lot of moron criminals who do have a stolen gun may say something stupid or suspect in response to the question ("Well, you see, what the deal is, my uncle asked me to hold it and ......."), which may make the officer feel the need for further questioning.

It's like the questions about the car rental papers, where are you going, where are you coming from, what's that address, etc. All are aimed at sniffing out BS. They may also lead to probable cause for a search (or obtaining consent). Nothing unlawful in those questions, even if the computer won't immediately give the answer. It's just a lawful bluff.
Remander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 17:29   #6
whogasak47
JPFO-GOA

Re: Pulled over.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by longgonedays
[B]I have a long ramble about getting pulled over in Carry Issues, I left out the part that pertained to Louisiana and thought I'd get some experienced responses here.

Being from North LA , Here is one possible solution (mine), Have a copy of form 4473 and and sales receipt where purchased. On it it has # of firearm and agency approving. That way You get to avoid some "we are goin to take this till you can prove it's yours". Remember I live here and travel all over state on Motorcycle with CCW.
Make it easy for officer to say "Just checking, Have a nice day". and send you on your way. Good Luck and Ride Safe.
Rule #1 Watch out for Number 1.
Rule #2 Remember your Number.

There is nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot.
whogasak47 is offline   Reply With Quote