Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2007, 16:51   #1
centennial

Breaking news re; safety inspections

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
February 20, 2007 CONTACT: Rep. Opsommer
(517) 373-1778

Representative Opsommer to Introduce Ban on so-called "Safety Inspections"
Bipartisan effort will have support in both the House and Senate

State Rep. Paul Opsommer (R-93) announced today that he is putting the finishing touches on bills that will remove the need for so-called firearm "safety inspections". Long derided by firearm owners, these post-purchase "safety inspections" are a misnomer as no real inspection takes place and are nothing more than a bureaucratic hassle.

"When first time handgun purchasers take time off work to make the extra trip for their mandatory 'safety inspections', they are surprised when they find out that no real inspection takes place," said Opsommer. "The firearm is not test fired or mechanically inspected in any manner. I heard of one case where the inspector never actually touched the pistol, they just had the owner hold it up to the glass so they could see it. This unnecessary step is being forced onto legal gun-owners who have already gone through background checks and have purchased their firearms through proper channels."

The measure will have support in both chambers and with both parties. Rep. Joel Sheltrown (D-103) supports the measure, stating that "These appear to be nothing more than visual in most cases, and probably have no beneficial value to gun safety." Sen. Randy Richardville (R-17) will run with the legislation on the Senate side. "The Michigan Constitution is very clear on the rights of our citizens when it comes to the 2nd Amendment and the only purpose this law serves is as a backdoor registration scheme," said [MCRGO Director] Senator Richardville.

centennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 18:22   #2
mike23

Finally!!!!!!!!!!

I had a couple of funny experiences once when taking a pistol in for its "safety inspection".

Once, I opened the GLOCK box removed the pistol, locking the slide back to hand it to the clerk. As she took the pistol, she grasped it with as as little contact as possible, just with the tips of two fingers...like she was handling a turd or something!

The next time, there was a fellow in front of me with semi-auto (looked like a Taurus or Beretta) and handed it to the clerk without locking the slide back. The girl didn't make any effort at all to check that a mag wasn't inserted or that the pistol was even cleared! I just made sure the muzzle never swung around my way!!!!
mike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 18:43   #3
NSANE

I've never had any problems just getting there before they close. They always checked the numbers and barrel.
S&W 642
NSANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 20:11   #4
DreamWeaver88

It's about time. This had better pass. Registering pistols is a waste of time and money.

DW
DreamWeaver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:37   #5
JellyBelly
Meat Popsicle

That's awesome! Now all we need is to get the Secretary of State to handle CCW permits and take it away from the police stations!
When a man abandons the upbringing of their children to their wives, a big loss is suffered by themselves. For what they lose is the possibility of growth in themselves for being human, which the stimulation of bringing up one's children gives.

Ashley Montague, Anthropolgist, 1964
JellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:45   #6
centennial

Actually, what we need to do is contact our State Reps and let them know that we strongly support this initiative.
This guy is just getting the ball rolling. We need to push it along hard.
Old 02-22-2007, 15:51   #7
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

This thing is a long way from even being considered. Actually, haven't lots of things like this been introduced, seemingly just to garner votes, knowing it won't go anywhere?

Like centennial said, unless we have a zumbo like outpouring, this piece of legislation is going nowhere.

If you care about this at all, contact your reps!

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 20:18   #8
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyBelly
That's awesome! Now all we need is to get the Secretary of State to handle CCW permits and take it away from the police stations!
i dunno...my wait at a Police Station is always very short. my wait at the Secretary of State is 1 1/2 hours in the metro d area...

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 20:59   #9
DreamWeaver88

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender
i dunno...my wait at a Police Station is always very short. my wait at the Secretary of State is 1 1/2 hours in the metro d area...
I never had to go to my local PD when I got my CCW. One trip to the County Clerk in Pontiac, then I headed directly to the Oakland County Sherrif's station in the same complex for fingerprinting. I was in and out of both places in probably 15 minutes total.

DW
Old 02-24-2007, 21:15   #10
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamWeaver88
I never had to go to my local PD when I got my CCW. One trip to the County Clerk in Pontiac, then I headed directly to the Oakland County Sherrif's station in the same complex for fingerprinting. I was in and out of both places in probably 15 minutes total.

DW
thats what i meant, sorry.

i made the exact same trip you did, a couple times. first time was ink, second time they printed me on the scanner thing. i like that a lot better

second time i went (to renew), this girl who couldn't have been 20 was there register..er... getting her guns safety inspected. i have a feeling she inherited them, since she had about 6 different NICE guns and didn't seem to know much about them. if i wasn't broke at the time, i would have politely approached her and her mother with an offer

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:56   #11
centennial

I think you guys are missing the point.
This may be a great opportunity to put an end to Michigans gun registration scheme.
That's pretty significant.
It isn't about your wait at the police station, it's about taking out gun rights back.
Very few States require handgun registration. Most States treat them the same as long guns. Form 4473 and you're done.
Michigans handgun registration is a result of the KKK and a black Doctor named Ossian Sweet. Plain and simple, it is rooted in racism.
Here is a link to the story if you are unfamiliar with it:
http://info.detnews.com/history/stor...ategory=events
Old 02-25-2007, 10:22   #12
DreamWeaver88

Quote:
Originally posted by centennial
I think you guys are missing the point.
This may be a great opportunity to put an end to Michigans gun registration scheme.
That's pretty significant.
It isn't about your wait at the police station, it's about taking out gun rights back.
Very few States require handgun registration. Most States treat them the same as long guns. Form 4473 and you're done.
Michigans handgun registration is a result of the KKK and a black Doctor named Ossian Sweet. Plain and simple, it is rooted in racism.
Here is a link to the story if you are unfamiliar with it:
http://info.detnews.com/history/stor...ategory=events
I'm not missing the point. I happen to think that gun registration is garbage. This one would benefit me two fold. No registration, and no more taking time off of work for the handgun buying process.

DW
Old 02-25-2007, 10:27   #13
DreamWeaver88

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender
thats what i meant, sorry.

i made the exact same trip you did, a couple times. first time was ink, second time they printed me on the scanner thing. i like that a lot better

second time i went (to renew), this girl who couldn't have been 20 was there register..er... getting her guns safety inspected. i have a feeling she inherited them, since she had about 6 different NICE guns and didn't seem to know much about them. if i wasn't broke at the time, i would have politely approached her and her mother with an offer
Is it just me, or does that scanner thing take two or three tries for almost every finger? Maybe it goes by how soft the skin is on your fingerprint area or something, but the guy had to keep trying certain fingers because the print wouldn't show up too well.

Not having any money at the time happens to me a lot. I could have had some good deals on guns and other things if I had only had some cash. :(

DW
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45   #14
DrMo

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamWeaver88

DW
That experience made me realize just how efficient and great Oakland County is compared to any of the other large metropolitan counties.
Old 02-26-2007, 15:54   #15
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMo
That experience made me realize just how efficient and great Oakland County is compared to any of the other large metropolitan counties.
And why I voted for the Sherriff.

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09   #16
deadite
Groovy.

Is there a link to this story? Hope it's true.

deadite
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:13   #17
centennial

The press release posted above is the only information currently available. It's from MCRGO.
We have a way to go before this comes to pass.
I suggest you contact Rep Opsommer as well as your local Rep to voice your interest in seeing this happen.
Old 02-27-2007, 17:07   #18
RockSix

So will they dump the data base????
Old 02-28-2007, 06:04   #19
centennial

Unkown at this time. I have communicated with people who have seen a draft of the proposed legislation and they are in general support of it.
I'm sure it is being fine tuned right now.
Old 03-04-2007, 15:33   #20
umc
CLM Number 6
"Piece" of Mind

Oh this would be so great if this went through. I can't stand going into my police station and having to leave my pistols for them to play with behind closed doors. Probably wouldn't be so bad if they just did it in front of me and I could leave with it instead of leaving it.

Anyway, I believe that registration leads to confiscation so it would be a huge step to see this go away.