SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:12   #1
RowdyOne
Constant Lurker

Carrying in Philadelphia...

The family and I are going to Philadelphia to visit my stepbrother and see some sights. I got my PA carry permit but have some questions...

Is the Franklin Institute considered a school, and as such off limits to carry in? The web site ends in .edu.

We are going to try the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Since that is Federal property I can't carry. Is there any other laws, like Texas' 3006 posting laws, I need to be aware of?

Any areas to avoid? I am sure my step brother will let me know also, but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks!!!!

Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting back up!

Nobody notices what I do, until I don't do it.
RowdyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 23:01   #2
tat2guy
Silver Membership
NRA Life Member

I've never had a problem carrying at the Franklin Institute, though with King Tut there right now, it is very crowded and A LOT of people will be unintentionally (I hope unintentionally, anyway) buping into you, rubbing up on you, and jostling you all around, so make sure you're carrying really securely.

Also, you can't carry at the Constitution Center.
God Bless America.

Originally Posted by bjman
Mark my words...there will be NO Assault weapons ban introduced under Obama.
tat2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 13:17   #3
LittleRedToyota

Re: Carrying in Philadelphia...

Quote:
Originally posted by RowdyOne
The family and I are going to Philadelphia to visit my stepbrother and see some sights. I got my PA carry permit but have some questions...

Is the Franklin Institute considered a school, and as such off limits to carry in? The web site ends in .edu.
not sure what the franklin institute is (i'm from the other side of the state), but the restriction on carrying in schools applies only to elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools. if the franklin institute is not K-12 school, then it doesn't fall under the restriction.

Quote:
§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is pos_sessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
you will also notice that (c) says "it shall be a defense" that the gun is carried for a "lawful purpose". CCWing with an LTCF is a "lawful purpose". you can draw your own conclusions. i don't think this has ever been tested in court.

Quote:
We are going to try the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Since that is Federal property I can't carry. Is there any other laws, like Texas' 3006 posting laws, I need to be aware of?
there is a DCNR (dept. of conservation and natural resouces) regulation against carrying in state parks (if you get caught, it is a summary offense).

you cannot carry in courthouses.

otherwise, you are pretty much good to go in PA. there are no laws against carrying in bars, etc.

since you have an LTCF, you can carry in your vehicle.

businesses can disallow the carrying of firearms on their property, but all they can do is ask you to leave. (if you don't leave, then you can be arrested for tresspassing.)

and, as you pointed out, there are some places in philly that qualify as "national parks" etc. and you cannot legally carry there because of federal laws.

be aware that, although PA has state pre-emption and philly cannot make their own gun laws, there have been instances of people being harrassed by the police in philly for legally carrying. but, i wouldn't worry about it. i would however, keep my gun concealed in philly (even though it actually is legal to open carry in philly with your LTCF).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 14:20   #4
dgg9

Re: Re: Carrying in Philadelphia...

Quote:
Originally posted by LittleRedToyota
not sure what the franklin institute is (i'm from the other side of the state), but the restriction on carrying in schools applies only to elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools. if the franklin institute is not K-12 school, then it doesn't fall under the restriction.
Franklin Institute is, AFAIK, not any kind of school at all. It's just a science museum, downtown.
dgg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:45   #5
RowdyOne
Constant Lurker

Thanks for all of your help!

Any recommendations for kid(6&4) friendly places to eat or things to do?

Old 08-02-2007, 21:39   #6
tat2guy
Silver Membership
NRA Life Member

My boy is 4 and absoltely loves the Academy of Natural Science Museum, which is right by the Frnaklin Institute- you can see it from the fromt steps of the F.I., in fact. It's the one with the statues of dinosaurs out front. Maybe... 18th? and the Ben Franklin Parkway.

There's also a pretty good pizza place right behind the F.I. (go out the front and turn right, turn right at the corner [Cherry street, I believe, but can't swear to it], and then there it is at the end of that block, on the other side of the street.)

Oh, and you're also right in the vicinity of the Please Touch Museum, which is GREAT for kids. However, i don't know what state it is in right now- they're moving to a new location soon. This may have no effect on the current location whatsoever at this time, but it may also be half packed up and ready to go, I don't know.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:46   #7
dgg9

Quote:
Thanks for all of your help!

Any recommendations for kid(6&4) friendly places to eat or things to do?
Normally I would say Reading Terminal Market, but on a busy day there, you'd have your hands full not losing 2 kids that age.

At the Delaware River, near there, there's a tour of a WWII submarine, which could be fun. There's a ferry that takes you across the Delaware River to the Camden Aquarium. Phila Zoo is nearby.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26   #8
tat2guy
Silver Membership
NRA Life Member

Yeah, the Camden Aquarium is also cool.
How mobile are you going to be? I was trying to think of stuff within walking distance of the Fraklin Institue, but if you're driving, there's tons of other stuff to do.

When will you be here? I have a family membership to the Aquarium and the Academy Museum. If you're gonna be here on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, I'd be glad to meet up with you and get us all in free- my boy never gets tired of either place!

Old 08-03-2007, 21:54   #9
CZ_40P

PRNJ

Quote:
Originally posted by tat2guy
Yeah, the Camden Aquarium is also cool.
How mobile are you going to be? I was trying to think of stuff within walking distance of the Fraklin Institue, but if you're driving, there's tons of other stuff to do.

When will you be here? I have a family membership to the Aquarium and the Academy Museum. If you're gonna be here on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, I'd be glad to meet up with you and get us all in free- my boy never gets tired of either place!
The last time I checked Camden was in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Even if you lock up your gun, make sure you have no Hollow Points in your car.
Old 08-03-2007, 22:00   #10
dgg9

Re: PRNJ

Quote:
Originally posted by CZ_40P
The last time I checked Camden was in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Even if you lock up your gun, make sure you have no Hollow Points in your car.
The preferred way to get there from PA is by ferry, not driving...but then you have to risk stashing the gun in the car you park in Philly, probably a bad idea.

So yes -- scratch that idea this go round.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:50   #11
RowdyOne
Constant Lurker

Thanks for all of the info.

We are going to be there this Friday and are leaving on Monday morning. From what I have looked up, on Google maps, our hotel(on Broad ST) is @ 1 mile from the Franklin. @1 mile the other way is the Liberty Bell. I was hoping to park the car on Friday and walk most of the time. If there are other suggestions that require driving I am all for that too. The submarine sounds cool!

Again, thanks for all of the info and invites!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48   #12
dgg9

Quote:
I was hoping to park the car on Friday and walk most of the time.
Probably a good idea -- trying to park in the touristy areas on a weekend is problematic. Walking, subway, cab will do everything you need to do.

Try one of the Vietnamese restaurants in Chinatown (Vietnam Palace, 222 North 11th Street) -- you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good upscale breakfast nook = Continental, at corner of 2nd and Market.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:18   #13
Pro2A

Send a message via AIM to Pro2A Send a message via Yahoo to Pro2A
In PA according to packing.org the only places you can not carry by law are courthouses and state parks. It says nothing else. There may be areas that are prohibited by private owners, but if it came down to it I don't believe you'd get in trouble for having a gun on "federal" property. No sign = Free carry
Pro2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:43   #14
dgg9

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro2A
In PA according to packing.org the only places you can not carry by law are courthouses and state parks. It says nothing else.

Can not carry by STATE law. Federal law is another matter.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16   #15
RowdyOne
Constant Lurker

We had a good time!

We had a great time! We stayed at the Double Tree on S Broad Street and were able to park the car on Friday and walk everywhere we wanted to go.

Went to the Franklin institute and the kids had a blast. My wife joked that I clogged the giant heart.

The boys, 6 and 4, were not that into Independence Hall but like the Liberty Bell. Maybe in a few years when they get to it in school it might be different.

Thanks for all of the info provided!

Old 08-16-2007, 07:32   #16
jthuang
On The Jazz

Send a message via AIM to jthuang Send a message via Yahoo to jthuang
Glad you had a good time!

Quote:
Originally posted by tat2guy
There's also a pretty good pizza place right behind the F.I. (go out the front and turn right, turn right at the corner [Cherry street, I believe, but can't swear to it], and then there it is at the end of that block, on the other side of the street.)
That'd be Little John's. I lived at Shannon Village (22nd and Race) for a few years and was a frequent customer. Good pizza.