Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2007, 18:31   #1
Viper_Audio

Police kept my 2 guns overnight

My friend had to quickly move to California, and decided to give me 2 very old handguns he had, rather then trying to bring them to Cali.

One of them is a very old 1911 handgun, made in the 1930's. It's beat up, hasn't been shot in over 20 years, but I am excited to shoot it & hopefully fix it up.

Anyway, we met at my local police station, filled out the RI60 forms, and we waited. We were talking for maybe 20 minutes, because it's his last day in Michigan, and weren't concerned about the waiting.

At 4:30, the lady claimed their computer was "down" for an unknown amount of time, and they had to "hold them" until they got cleared.

My freind was leaving, so he could not re-posses them. So I had no choice, because they weren't mine yet & the records department was closing.

They didn't even want to give me a copy of my RI-60's, but I argued, how would I have a record? They finally gave the 2 original RI-60 forms, and said to wait until they called me before I come back.

Is this common, or should I be alarmed?
Viper_Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 20:48   #2
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

At least you got something somewhat official back as proof they (temporarily) stole them.

All I got was a hand written note on notebook paper from west bloomfield PD, only after I called them back to the desk to demand some kind of receipt.

Michigan Glockers

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:26   #3
JohnJak
sadly spent

I didn't know we had inspection experts in Michigan.
Old 08-09-2007, 15:50   #4
Viper_Audio

I got the guns today.
Old 08-09-2007, 16:28   #5
JellyBelly
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
At least you got something somewhat official back as proof they (temporarily) stole them.

All I got was a hand written note on notebook paper from west bloomfield PD, only after I called them back to the desk to demand some kind of receipt.

Michigan Glockers
How long did that finally end up taking?
When a man abandons the upbringing of their children to their wives, a big loss is suffered by themselves. For what they lose is the possibility of growth in themselves for being human, which the stimulation of bringing up one's children gives.

Ashley Montague, Anthropolgist, 1964
JellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 17:27   #6
Viper_Audio

They called me about 9 AM, the next morning.
Old 08-09-2007, 19:08   #7
wizzi01

Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
Quote:
Originally posted by JellyBelly
He has a whole story here about that issue jelly. http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488198

edited to add link.
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:19   #8
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

live in Clawson?

CPD keeps pistols at least a day because "the Cheif does ALL safety inspections." I dunno if it is legal for them to do it, but i'd love an opportunity to call them out if it isn't legal.

i've had to leave guns over the weekend because of this....

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:48   #9
JellyBelly
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally posted by wizzi01
He has a whole story here about that issue jelly. http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488198

edited to add link.
Right. I just didn't want to have to wade through every page when a "X days/weeks/months" would have done just fine.
When a man abandons the upbringing of their children to their wives, a big loss is suffered by themselves. For what they lose is the possibility of growth in themselves for being human, which the stimulation of bringing up one's children gives.

Ashley Montague, Anthropolgist, 1964
JellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 22:52   #10
Xenia

I didn't think they actually did an inspection. The two guns I took to the sherrifs office were only looked at enough to get the serial number to type into the computer.

I would be most displeased to have to leave them. There is never a parking spot and their station is in a very bad part of town. (I hate taking the guns there as it is hard to not make it obvious in those big gun boxes.)
Old 08-12-2007, 23:00   #11
Bevo1

Hey Viper, that 1911 shoots sweet. Thanks for bringing it by the station at closing time. Johnny tried to make it fire fully automatic. I stopped him in time, but you might want to replace the sear. Good luck and happy shooting
Old 08-13-2007, 00:35   #12
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyBelly
Altogether, about six hours in the middle of two days where I could have been working.

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:08   #13
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
It appears Communism is strong and thriving in Michigan.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:12   #14
TFin04

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenia
I didn't think they actually did an inspection. The two guns I took to the sherrifs office were only looked at enough to get the serial number to type into the computer.
They don't "inspect" anything. It is simply a registration process that they label an inspection to make people feel better about it.

They pass the gun around in the back room to any officers who are gun guys, they all handle it and play with it for a bit while the clerk runs the serial number through the computer.

As long as it isn't stolen they register it to you as the owner and hand it back.

I regularly have officers come to the front and BS with me about the guns I'm having "inspected." We have quite a few gun guy cops at my local PD.

The (attractive) girl who works the front counter is fun to talk to as well, and she admits that there is no inspection being done.

I don't really mind the run around as I am pretty lucky with the staff of my local PD, but I have heard some terrible stories of other offices.
TFin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 20:43   #15
bassplayer

What I always will think was cool was long ago when I needed to get a purchase permit, the nice lady in the records department at the Sterling Heights police station asked me, "How many would you like?"
Sing and Make Music -- EPH. 5:19

The bass player is the most important member of the band. Just ask one.
If you are reading this, thank a teacher. Since its in English, thank a soldier.
bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 20:12   #16
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
Originally posted by TFin04

The (attractive) girl who works the front counter is fun to talk to as well, and she admits that there is no inspection being done.
hell, it even says on the green card that "a cursory inspection of this pistol has been made...it has not been tested for safety or functioning" (or something thereabouts).

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 21:39   #17
COBRA90GT

Quote:
Originally posted by TFin04
...They pass the gun around in the back room to any officers who are gun guys, they all handle it and play with it for a bit while the clerk runs the serial number through the computer...

Did you bother to point that fact out to the on duty command officer?
I would be more upset at why road patrol is sitting inside the station instead of shagging calls...

Quote:
Originally posted by TFin04 ...but I have heard some terrible stories of other offices...

Such as?

COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 21:45   #18
TFin04

Quote:
Originally posted by COBRA90GT
Did you bother to point that fact out to the on duty command officer?
I would be more upset at why road patrol is sitting inside the station instead of shagging calls...
Okay, it sounds a bit exaggerated now that I read it again. It's usually only one or two officers with the Cheif usually being one of them. My township has a very small police force and a lot of the time officers are in off duty to workout in the gym they have downstairs.

Quote:
Such as?
Stories like this where firearms are held, stories of where they only do permits and inspections on certain days on certain times, etc. I have not documented and cited sources on any specific problem that occurred to someone else, if that's what you're looking for.

Hope I answered your questions.
TFin04 is offline   Reply With Quote