Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2007, 22:04   #1
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Defining Moment(s) that led to your decision to CCW

Quote:
[Edit on 12/09/2010]: I requested a change to the thread's name, and I've decided to add something to this OP to better clarify the thread's intent.

There are dozens of threads, if not hundreds, with the subject "Why I/you/we CCW"...which is why I started this thread in the first place: to ask specifically about "Defining Moments" that you may have had, which led you to the decision to CCW. I haven't kept track of exact numbers, but a considerable portion of the posts -- particularly those more recent -- have been along the lines of "I CCW because..." which doesn't fit the thread's intent.

I'm not trying to play Moderator here, nor am I criticizing those who've posted "Why I Carry" responses to this thread; I'm simply wanting to remind folks that this thread is meant to be different from those "Why I Carry" threads.

Thanks

[End of 12/09/2010 Edit]
I want to briefly describe two incidents that led me to the decision to carry a firearm for self-defense. And if YOU had a defining moment--or numerous ones--that led to your CCW decision, then I think it would be interesting to read about them.

My story isn't very exciting, but I do hope you'll share your "defining moment(s)" with your fellow GT'ers.

Brief Background
I grew up in a family that only occasionally hunted. My dad had a .22LR rifle and a bolt-action .30-06 for large game. As for "incidents," I'd witnessed a few road-rage episodes and the like, but no weapons were ever involved and no deadly threats--perhaps one possible threat of serious bodily harm at age 15 (road rage).

Defining Moment
It was around October of 2002. My wife and I were talking about starting a family, and my mind was occupied by the responsibilities of a husband and future father. One morning I was listening to a local radio talk show (Bob Lonsberry -- www.lonsberry.com) and he was talking about CCW (he's a CCW'er and a vocal advocate for it), and he urged his audience to read a column he'd written regarding CCW entitled "This is Why I Carry a Gun." (He wrote two versions: one version for a general audience and another version for Guns & Ammo.)

I read both articles, and it was as if lightning had struck me. Paternal instinct? Maybe so.

The Decision
Long story short, from late 2002 till early 2003 I conducted my own crash course in firearms (handguns mostly) and CCW -- did so via the Internet, books, magazines, friends, etc. I'd handled Glocks in the gun shops and took a particular liking to the Glock 19, but budget constraints forced me to settle for a Kel-Tec P-11, which I eventually purchased in early summer of 2004 and could legally carry concealed one month later, UT permit in hand. (I eventually purchased a G19 and subsequently sold the P-11.)

Like I said, it's not that exciting a story.

Anyway, I hope you'll chime in and tell us about your Defining Moment(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Wasatch; 12-09-2010 at 23:57..
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 22:09   #2
geminicricket
NRA Life member

I decided to CCW with a license,
to buy a handgun to do so,
precisely because I expected Al Gore to be elected in 2000,
and needed to have something to be taken from my cold, dead hands when he did as he had promised to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 22:25   #3
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally posted by geminicricket
I decided to CCW with a license,
to buy a handgun to do so,
precisely because I expected Al Gore to be elected in 2000,
and needed to have something to be taken from my cold, dead hands when he did as he had promised to do.
On a similar note, I'll be buying at least 4 full-cap G19 magazines next time I hear the Left beating the drum for another AWB.

Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 00:27   #4
mike1969
NRA&GOA

I was robbed at gunpoint of a rifle at my place of employment on July 26 2003, and almost again on October 18, 2003. That was the wakeup. I thought I was going to have actually use a gun to defend myself against a car-jacking in 2005, they guy grabbed the door handle at a gas station after I decided I wanted a coca-cola. I know he saw the glock, because after I yelled he didnt want my truck, he turnt tail and ran off. The barrel of the glock was pressed against the glass.

And one more incident years ago, some punks in a car pointed a revolver out the window of a white hyundai. I wish I had a gun then, because know when I think back about that incident the police where called and it took them almost an hour to respond. And I remember the retarded-ass manager coming out asking why in the hell did I drive like a maniac and almost take out 2 of the gas pumps. He said he was going to call the cops and I had to leave. I told his sorry behind he would drive like a maniac if someone pointed a gun at him, and maybe he should call the cops. He did and when they got there, they stayed for 30 seconds, and no report. Low and behold a few months later, I saw the same car with the same 4 guys.

Do you know the fear of looking down the barrel of a rifle pointed at you, not knowing if that moment in time is the last?? If the thug decides to be a heartless asshat and shoots you for your last 15 dollars.?? It sucks, and I refuse to be a victim again. Im not saying Im gung-ho and am looking for an excuse to just shoot someone. Its far from that, but if I have to defend myself, I will.
And the crime that happens on a daily basis, is another reason.

Many, many, many glocktalkers have had a similiar experience and dont wish to selected to be a victim again. And those that havent, dont want to be the next one.
mike1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:53   #5
Jack Greenwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1969 View Post

Do you know the fear of looking down the barrel of a rifle pointed at you, not knowing if that moment in time is the last?? If the thug decides to be a heartless asshat and shoots you for your last 15 dollars.?? It sucks, and I refuse to be a victim again. Im not saying Im gung-ho and am looking for an excuse to just shoot someone. Its far from that, but if I have to defend myself, I will.

Many, many, many glocktalkers have had a similiar experience and dont wish to selected to be a victim again. And those that havent, dont want to be the next one.
While working for a rental real estate firm I was mowing a tenants lawn when a Pitbull that I didn't know came into the yard, the Pitbull was very playfull and loving but the owner did not like me playing with his dog. I had never met the owner before that day, the dog lived just next door and the owner came out the back door carrying a snubnose revolver. Several times he pointed the gun at me and kept yelling. Later that day I quit my job, now looking back I'm glad I had the chance, if he had decided to fire I would have been defenseless. I cannot desribe the feeling of vulnerability, and I will do my best to never feel it again.

Last edited by Jack Greenwell; 01-17-2008 at 19:51.. Reason: grammer
Jack Greenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:26   #6
Dutch48

Quote:
I was robbed at gunpoint of a rifle at my place of employment on July 26 2003, and almost again on October 18, 2003. That was the wakeup. I thought I was going to have actually use a gun to defend myself against a car-jacking in 2005, they guy grabbed the door handle at a gas station after I decided I wanted a coca-cola. I know he saw the glock, because after I yelled he didnt want my truck, he turnt tail and ran off. The barrel of the glock was pressed against the glass.

And one more incident years ago, some punks in a car pointed a revolver out the window of a white hyundai. I wish I had a gun then, because know when I think back about that incident the police where called and it took them almost an hour to respond. And I remember the retarded-ass manager coming out asking why in the hell did I drive like a maniac and almost take out 2 of the gas pumps. He said he was going to call the cops and I had to leave. I told his sorry behind he would drive like a maniac if someone pointed a gun at him, and maybe he should call the cops. He did and when they got there, they stayed for 30 seconds, and no report. Low and behold a few months later, I saw the same car with the same 4 guys.

You should realize that by pressing the Glock against the curved side window of a vehical that it more than likely was out of battery and would not have fired. Not so with revolvers and not so much with XD's but all other autoloaders, the slide will be pushed back and out of battery.
Dutch48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21   #7
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch48 View Post
You should realize that by pressing the Glock against the curved side window of a vehical that it more than likely was out of battery and would not have fired. Not so with revolvers and not so much with XD's but all other autoloaders, the slide will be pushed back and out of battery.
Do not EVER EVER EVER allow your semi auto to be touched by anything or anyone as most will be made unworkable by simply having the slide pushed 1/16" back from fully 'locked' and in battery.

Point was made to me during a lethal force self defence class when I was called upon to draw and shoot the instructor as he came from 21 feet to disarm me. Guess who won? He disarmed me. Gently without busting any of my fingers off. All he did was grip the pistol so as to push the slide back a wee bit and it was useless.

And guess what guys and gals? Same deal with revolvers too! If that cylinder will not turn most revolver designs prevent them from firing. So if you have no other choices in life but to attempt to disarm an assailant; part of the drill is going to be to grab the cylinder tightly and get a finger or thumb under the hammer if there is one. (That's why the best self defense revolvers are hammerless... has nothing to do with 'snagging' guys. Has everything to do with ensuring the gun works when needed).

Why do I carry? My defining moments? Two home invasions (one successful); one attempted carjacking or perhaps it was just a whacko putting a bigass revolver in my face in Orlando.... but that was it guys. No more. And since I live in Toronto although we have residences in FLA, NJ, NY, PA with relatives... I cannot get a non res FLA permit. Even as a US citizen. So I don't go there any more. I only go where I can protect my family. ANd I have taken some serious self defense training along with my 14 year old son... so he knows when trouble is happening and how to deal with it rather than dealing with teenage testosterone.

Protect yourself and go in peace.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 13:17   #8
Meman5150

The above post is amazing.
-Young Glocker #9
-Niner #102
-The Kalashnikov Klub #102
Meman5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:59   #9
Torontogunguy

Quote:

Do you know the fear of looking down the barrel of a rifle pointed at you, not knowing if that moment in time is the last??
Yes I do. And I got told off by someone who knows that I carry stateside at our local gun club Thursday night; what a surprise. He warned me about the cost of carrying "make sure you have $50K set aside"; many local police departments aren't very friendly; expect to lose your gun and have it locked up for five years; expect to see the inside of a jail for a year or more; etc. What a crock. I tried to set him straight to no avail and finally I just said "Have you ever looked down the muzzle of a 357 magnum revolver? Because I have and it will never happen again. My family was with me. We are fortunate to be alive. Please don't lecture me until you know what you are talking about". I would much rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 20:01   #10
LastDitch

20 years ago: Wondering how I was going to ride a motorcycle, with a gun legaly...talked to cops, lawyers, people that should know...all differed in thier opinion of what violated the concealed weapon law...so for $50 I 'bought' the right to carry a firearm legaly. Problem solved.
LastDitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 13:58   #11
W420Hunter

Send a message via AIM to W420Hunter Send a message via Yahoo to W420Hunter
columbus gone to hell

I a 23 M born in Columbus Ohio. I was raised by my grandfather and Uncle. At age 14 i shot my first shot gun, it was a side by side Parker. It has a duel trigger and i wanted to look kool so i had my finger on both tirggers, well the kick made me pull both at around the same time and i dislocated my sholder lol. It became clear that i needed to be able to protect myself one june day about a year ago. I was driveing down town close to OSU. I was in the left lane the right was a right turn only. Thats then a car in the left hand lane illeagely crossed the street swipeing my car and all but pushing me into on comeing traffic. When i sounded my horn a man in the back seat leand out the window with a gun in his hand. I got my hand gun the next day and my CCL less then a month latter and now its allways in my car
W420Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 17:51   #12
lance22

No big, defining moment. But, all three of my older brothers had their permit so at my first opportunity I got mine. Works for me. I am not under any specific threats nor have I been directly touched by violent crime. But, I've had some worrisome moments and close calls and am glad that I now have something that could level the playing field somewhat.
lance22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 13:16   #13
Travis Morgan

I got too damn old, fat, and crippled to protect my family with just my fists, and the courts keep allowing my repeat offender neighbor out of prison, no matter how many felonies he commits.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:36   #14
USAglock

Quote:

Interesting story, thanks
USAglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:36   #15
redcat11

Wow thats some serious ****, good reason why you carry.
redcat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 23:25   #16
Jt1974

A store owner and his son were shot to death during a robbery at 2pm on a saturday afternoon NEXT DOOR to my office (as in just a few feet away). The son was shot first and the father ran into the bathroom and locked the door. The killer kicked the door in and shot the dad to death in the bathroom.

A few months before that a college kid got his teeth knocked out in the parking lot of my office building when he was walking home from the bars.

I'm 6'3" and always thought most bad guys would pass me by and look for an easier target. However, after the two incidents noted above I realized that criminals are getting pretty brave these days so I decided I might as well start exercising my 2A rights.
Jt1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24   #17
ezthumper

I carry as a result of experience and a jaded view of humanity.
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 00:44   #18
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Lots of small reasons:
1. Coming home from the army from the West Bank in uniform and unarmed.
2. Security Nazis searching unarmed people at entrances of malls, public transport stations, etc.
3. Low capacity and stopping power of police pistols available to reserve LEOs.
4. General threat of criminal activity.
5. A gentleman should always carry a loaded gun.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:18   #19
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post

6. Same goes for a lady.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27   #20
panzer1
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
Lots of small reasons:
1. Coming home from the army from the West Bank in uniform and unarmed.
2. Security Nazis searching unarmed people at entrances of malls, public transport stations, etc.
3. Low capacity and stopping power of police pistols available to reserve LEOs.
4. General threat of criminal activity.
I like #5