Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2008, 21:51   #1
cldbase

Video of cop planting drugs on victim

http://www.wsmv.com/news/15370841/de...=nash&psp=news

Dash cam video embedded in link.

Story below:

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- A lawsuit was filed on Thursday accusing Cookeville police of “excessive use of force” and “planting contraband" during a domestic assault arrest last year.

Related: Raw Video | Video

One officer has been placed on leave because of the incident, and five others are named in the federal lawsuit.

Police car video from the Cookeville Police Department captured the incident that triggered the lawsuit.

On the night of June 4, 2007, Carlos Ferrell was stopped by police on a domestic assault warrant. According to the lawsuit, Ferrell's ex-wife, Tiffany, saw Ferrell, called police and was involved in the initial chase.

Once Ferrell came to a stop, he was ordered out of the car by Cookeville police Officer Chris Melton.

“Put your hands up, and get out of the car,” Melton is heard telling Ferrell on the tape.

Ferrell, 28, exits the car with his arms raised while Officer Jeff Johnson is holding the department’s police dog. The video shows the dog bite Ferrell several times.

Attorney Blair Durham is representing Ferrell.

“The dog is released. The dog then chews into Mr. Ferrell's leg where, of course, he goes to the ground,” he said.

"Your dog just ate my leg off,” Ferrell said on the tape.

Durham also accused Melton of planting drugs on Ferrell. In the dash cam video, Melton is seen searching Ferrell's pockets a number of times.

Then, Durham said, another officer appears to give a signal with his hand, at which point Melton then reaches into his right pocket and looks into the camera. It’s at that point on the tape that Durham said Melton appears to put drugs in Ferrell's pocket.

“Whoa, Carlos, weed? Now you got you another freaking charge, how about that?" Melton told Ferrell in the video.

Melton has been placed on administrative leave with pay. The night of the stop, Ferrell was charged with evading arrest and possession of marijuana.

“That’s a complete drug plant is what I'm alleging. It’s a complete unlawful search, first of all, and it’s a planting of paraphernalia,” Durham said.

Cookeville police said they are "completely cooperating with the TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation)." A representative said the department is not trying to hide anything and doesn’t want to look like it is.

Police took Ferrell to an area hospital for treatment of his injuries. Durham said Ferrell is no choir boy but that he's never been arrested on violent offenses.

According to his record, Ferrell has two DUIs and a previous drug possession charge.
cldbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:01   #2
fiveoboy01

Looks like a plant to me. The perp was searched several times prior and now the pot shows up? This either means the officer hasn't a clue how to do a search or that he planted it. From the look of the vid, he's got guilty written all over him.

As for excessive use of force, all I see is the vid. I don't know what went on before the stop, and what the GF might have said on the phone when calling the police, so I dunno.

Cop seemed pretty excited to find weed on the perp.
Rimfire Club #6923
Walther Club #310
Niners Club #8989
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:08   #3
bwphoto
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
Looks like a plant to me. The perp was searched several times prior and now the pot shows up? This either means the officer hasn't a clue how to do a search or that he planted it. From the look of the vid, he's got guilty written all over him.

As for excessive use of force, all I see is the vid. I don't know what went on before the stop, and what the GF might have said on the phone when calling the police, so I dunno.

Cop seemed pretty excited to find weed on the perp.
Took the words outta my mouth.
bwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:19   #4
Tareeka Babooga
NRA Aware

Isn't this the police dept involved in the shooting of that innocent families dog a couple years ago? The father left his wallet on the car when he filled up and it led to a felony stop with guns drawn and put on innocent citizens. Their camera's were coveniently not turned on at that time. It always made me wonder why they had cameras in their vehicles, but did not keep them on. Back then, it was said their cars didn't have the electrical capacity to run the cameras and lights, which begs the question why they would mismatch a camera and electrical system.

If this is the same dept, they have a history of shady behavior that goes back farther than shooting that dog.

But I've been hearing of drop guns and drop bags forever.
Tareeka Babooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:05   #5
GWSHARK
BITEYAHEADOFF

fishy
GWSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 15:57   #6
GWSHARK
BITEYAHEADOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWshark View Post
fishy
Ok... I'll go first.

Still fishy!
GWSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 16:07   #7
unkempt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWshark View Post
Ok... I'll go first.

Still fishy!
I have to agree. how many times do you have to feel the pocket on soft side shorts to find a bag of weed.

It looked strange. wonder if a plea was a part of the confession.
plea to the pot we'll drop yadda yadda.
unkempt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 22:20   #8
Sure Shot
avenging angel

So what else is new! And if he admitted later, they probably beat it out of him!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:14   #9
9L82
Caffeine Addled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
So what else is new! And if he admitted later, they probably beat it out of him!
Old 02-29-2008, 15:27   #10
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Wow, it is a long list of people who jumped to conclusions and owe an apology. Not only posters on here, but in the PD as well. But I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

I can't believe they suspended officers based on the word of a ****head violent criminal without any evidence. Oh well, now it's back to the streets for these honest hard working officers. Keep kicking ass guys!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post

I hope you enjoy your short time here with us, troll boy.

What an idiot.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:18   #11
Clyde in CO
LOL WUT?

The police removed a lowlife scumbag from the streets. Who cares how they did it? The end result is what counts. Honest citizens that have nothing to hide also have nothing to fear from the police.

The force they used looked fine to me. Police officers have an extremely high stress job. Any amount of force should be allowed to insure officer safety. The rights of a person are not as important as making sure an officer goes home safe at the end of his shift.

Next time they should turn the camera off and just shoot him. Camera was malfunctioning, and he charged the officers. Same end result, scumbag off the streets.. but without the mess of an embarrassing lawsuit.

How dare these lawyers and reporters question the motives and procedures of our heroic protectors while selfishly basking under the umbrella of protection they provide?
Clyde in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:20   #12
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde in CO View Post
The police removed a lowlife scumbag from the streets. Who cares how they did it? The end result is what counts. Honest citizens that have nothing to hide also have nothing to fear from the police.

The force they used looked fine to me. Police officers have an extremely high stress job. Any amount of force should be allowed to insure officer safety. The rights of a person are not as important as making sure an officer goes home safe at the end of his shift.

Next time they should turn the camera off and just shoot him. Camera was malfunctioning, and he charged the officers. Same end result, scumbag off the streets.. but without the mess of an embarrassing lawsuit.

How dare these lawyers and reporters question the motives and procedures of our heroic protectors while selfishly basking under the umbrella of protection they provide?
Dude, you really need the sarcasm emoticon.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:23   #13
betyourlife
on a GLOCK

Quote:

Maybe it will be you they plant drugs on next

EDITED TO ADD: I THINK YOU ARE BEING SARCASTIC..

Last edited by betyourlife; 02-27-2008 at 22:44..
betyourlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:29   #14
bakerj

Lets sprinkle some crack on him and get outta here
bakerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:47   #15
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerj View Post
Lets sprinkle some crack on him and get outta here
WWWHAATTT???!!!!

Civil Liberties Issues
"The Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed" - Constitution for the U.S.A.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:28   #16
fiveoboy01

Quote:
The police removed a lowlife scumbag from the streets.
Yes, likely for a little while.

Quote:
Who cares how they did it? The end result is what counts.
I don't even have to address that, as everyone can see for themselves the type of person you are by that statment.

Quote:
Honest citizens that have nothing to hide also have nothing to fear from the police.
Pretty ironic statement considering the main premise of this thread is the possibility of an officer planting pot on a man.

Quote:
I do tend to agree with this, but this doesn't mean that officers should be breaking someone's nose with a baton because they ask "why did you pull me over?"

Like I said I didn't see what transpired prior to the police showing up... The amount of force could easily have been warranted. Maybe not. Planting pot on someone was NOT warranted under any circumstance.

Quote:
Well maybe the next officer that pulls you over for speeding should flick his camera power off and use his time to **** with you? After all he's had a rotten day and doesn't like the color of your car... And someone called 911 and said you flipped them off in a road rage incident.... Maybe even have you out on the street, face in the asphalt, cuffed. After all you were caught speeding, you're a roadrager, you're a scumbag... The means doesn't matter, just the end... You said it yourself.

Quote:
No I didn't read your entire post before replying and after reading this last statement of yours, I'm thinking your entire post was written with a sarcastic tone. Oops
Rimfire Club #6923
Walther Club #310
Niners Club #8989
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 22:34   #17
digthisbigcrux
stooge

I almost called bull****, then I remembered to turn my sarcasm detector back on.

Good Post!

Quote:

Old 02-28-2008, 01:25   #18
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Yes thank goodness they planted a baggie of weed on him to get him off the street, it's not like the WARRANT for his arrest and his attempting to evade arrest were enough to put him in jail right?

And afterall the accusations must be true his lawyer says so, the same Lawyer that claims the search was illegal. a search subsequent to him being picked up on a warrant and for attempting to evade arrest.

Now I don't know if they planted a baggie of pot on him or not, and neither does anyone else offering an opinion here. but it would be pretty silly for them to do so. a baggie of pot isn't going to add much of anything to the arrest on a warrant and for attempting to evade arrest.

I am always suspicious of lawsuits filed without ever a complaint being made to the Dept. or another agency ( like the FBI) because generally people who go that route know they don't have a real case and DON'T want a finding saying their claims are BS. it looks bad to the jury in the civil case. And if your goal is MONEY you certainly don't want a DA's office or the FBI raining on your parade.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49   #19
wolfman97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Yes thank goodness they planted a baggie of weed on him to get him off the street, it's not like the WARRANT for his arrest and his attempting to evade arrest were enough to put him in jail right?

And afterall the accusations must be true his lawyer says so, the same Lawyer that claims the search was illegal. a search subsequent to him being picked up on a warrant and for attempting to evade arrest.

Now I don't know if they planted a baggie of pot on him or not, and neither does anyone else offering an opinion here. but it would be pretty silly for them to do so. a baggie of pot isn't going to add much of anything to the arrest on a warrant and for attempting to evade arrest.

I am always suspicious of lawsuits filed without ever a complaint being made to the Dept. or another agency ( like the FBI) because generally people who go that route know they don't have a real case and DON'T want a finding saying their claims are BS. it looks bad to the jury in the civil case. And if your goal is MONEY you certainly don't want a DA's office or the FBI raining on your parade.
Uuuuh, yeah. If you wanted a fair hearing on such a complaint the first place you would go would be to the people who did it to you.

All cops are your friends, right?
wolfman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25   #20
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:

When it is your turn to get your ass jacked and false evidence planted on you keep you trap shut and take it like a man.

Brain dead come sin all flavors I see!

Tags
honesty, integrity