Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2008, 23:07   #1
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Clark County Shooting Park in trouble

Just got this email:

The Clark County Board of Commissioners has placed on its July 1 agenda a public comment period to address the Clark County Shooting Park and the outrageous claims brought forward by a small, yet vocal group of homeowners whose sole purpose is to prevent the shooting center from opening.

It is vital that NRA members attend the public meeting or contact the Commissioners to voice their strong support for this much-needed shooting park. Please ask the commissioners not to alter the current design and to support the current plan.

The meeting will be held at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers of the Clark County Government Center at 500 Grand Central Parkway in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you are unable to attend, please contact the County Commission at (702) 455-3500 or email the Commissioners.

Clark County, Nevada Board of Commissioners:
Rory Reid, Chair
ccdistg@co.clark.nv.us

Bruce Woodbury
ccdista@co.clark.nv.us

Tom Collins
ccdistb@co.clark.nv.us

Chip Maxfield
ccdistc@co.clark.nv.us

Lawrence Weekly
ccdistd@co.clark.nv.us

Chris Giunchigliani
ccdiste@co.clark.nv.us

Susan Brager
ccdistf@co.clark.nv.us

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 23:45   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

(Just sent this to Tom Collins)

Commissioner Collins,

As an ardent supporter of the excellent job you have done for our district, I know you share my outrage at the blatant scare tactics used by a few misinformed, and unfortunately well financed, homeowners.

I've only been in the valley a short time compared to you. But in those ten years I've seen our outdoor recreation areas go from relatively close by and abundant to scarce and a long drive off. Our off-road areas are being restricted, our ability to hunt in Clark County is almost completely gone, and now a 20 year project to ensure a safe place to enjoy shooting, is in grave jeopardy.

The Clark County Shooting Park will not only insure a safe place for shooting enthusiasts to practice the sport, it will also be a national and international draw for future sporting events adding another in a long list of reasons people can visit and enjoy the valley that has nothing to do with gambling.

This much needed location will also give parents like myself a modern, safe, public place to teach our children about firearm safety. We will also be able to instill in them the disciple, training and love of the sport we so desperately need, without worrying about trespassing on unmarked land, shooting in an unsafe place, or much more common, others who don't know you are there and just begin firing randomly without checking if someone is behind that hill, rock or ledge.

Most children today only see the negative aspects of gun ownership through violent video games and the 5% of the population who misuse firearms and get on the nightly newscast. We can change that perception by giving them a positive, rewarding and educational environment to enjoy supervised target shooting and the like.

Please, Commissioner Collins, I implore you in the strongest possible terms to oppose these reckless and irresponsible people who can't see the greater good and much needed positive impact the Clark County Shooting Park will have for all 2 million residents here.

I look forward to meeting you again, Wednesday, July 1 in the Commissioners Chambers. I and many of the CC Shooting Park supporters will be there to help present a more balance and fair view of the park, just like you and all of Nevada's responsible leaders have in the past.

Sincerely,

Jim Bianchi
Clark County Resident
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 13:10   #3
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Here are a couple of responses I have gotten:

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Clark County Shooting Park. I support all the efforts that have gone into making this project a reality. I was there the day we broke ground and I hope to be there on the day the Park opens to the public.
Rory Reid
Quote:
Thank you for your email. I will make sure Commissioner Giunchigliani sees your comments.

Regards,
Marcie Whelan
Executive Assistant to
Commissioner Giunchigliani
This is what I emailed to them:

Quote:
Commissioner,

I am writing to show my support for the Clark County Shooting Park. It is important to me and practically all of those whom I know and associate with. The completion of this park according to it's original intention will demonstrate our county leaders are truly in touch with the people here and provide a valuable asset to everyone in the community.

I hope that you will do the right thing by supporting the completion of this project in it's entirety.

Thank you.

Old 06-30-2008, 13:28   #4
John's 26

Am I missing something?

I just went to the county web site to look for the agenda item, and the only thing I found was item 93 which says:

"Conduct a public hearing; and approve, adopt, and authorize the Chairman to sign an ordinance to amend Title 19 of the Clark County Code, by adding Chapter 19.09, providing for Clark County Shooting Park; and providing for other matters properly relating thereto."

Then if you go to the actual agenda item (in pdf format) it states that it has to do with selling the naming rights to on sight buildings and facilities. The name of the shooting park itself is not for sale. See link below.

http://agenda.co.clark.nv.us/sirepub...8120012427.PDF

and...

http://agenda.co.clark.nv.us/sirepub...8120903685.PDF

Old 06-30-2008, 18:18   #5
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

What do you think you are missing?

There is a very vocal minority raising hell about this issue in hopes to hinder, slow, or even halt progress altogether.

Just email the commissioners and voice your support for the park so they don't have second thoughts.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:56   #6
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Did anyone make to the meeting?

My little girl (2.5 yrs old) wasn't behaving very well that morning so I skipped it.

What'd I miss?
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote